Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77
  1. #1

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    Yesterday while riding Mermaid during the AP preview, people were taking flash pictures EVERYWHERE throughout the ride. Quite annoying.

    I have two issues with this:

    1) I'm assuming that 90% of the people riding the ride were doing so for the first time. Wouldn't you think people would want to ride the ride and enjoy the ride instead of watching it from their tiny camera screen? There are PLENTY of pictures out there of all Disneyland rides, stop thinking you are going to get something that isn't out there.

    2) After the ride, we realized that there was absolutely NO signs, announcements or CM instructions regarding Flash Pictures. So it really seems to me that Disney has simply "given up". If this is the case, it's quite sad.


  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Too Far From Disney
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    I know they have at WDW. It kind of irratates me but that would also mean frequent loud announcements (or like I call it, "The voice of god") yelling at people about flash pictures. It ruins it either way. Be sure to mention it if you ever take one of the surveys.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

  3. #3

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I know they have at WDW. It kind of irratates me but that would also mean frequent loud announcements (or like I call it, "The voice of god") yelling at people about flash pictures. It ruins it either way. Be sure to mention it if you ever take one of the surveys.
    We did get a Survey after leaving Mermaid yesterday and TOTALLY forgot to mention that. Shoot.


  4. #4

    • Cars Land Rocks!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    4,633

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    I noticed the same thing when I rode on Friday. Lots of people taking photos. I only had my point and shoot with me and took a few photos, but didn't use a flash. I also had the same thoughts, that there were already plenty of photos out there of the ride.





  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,038

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    In the past, I think people in general had more "sense" -- more awareness of, and consideration for, others. Today, I have a feeling that nothing can quell the egocentric attitude of most folks. And heaven forbid if you kindly ask a fellow rider to cease flashing; you're likely to get tongue-lashed, if not knifed!

    It's really sad, and I sure long for the old days. As mentioned, flashes and "The Voice Of God" are almost equally as disruptive. I guess the only way around the flash problem now would be to hire an additional CM along the queue to enforce "confiscation" of ALL photographic devices.

    Or, how about this? Divide the queue into "flashing or non" (like the old "smoking or non" choice in restaurants -- for those old enough to remember). Then, you'd have one boat in Pirates flashing away to their hearts' content, while another could be full of "non-flashers". Wouldn't entirely limit the problem, but would drastically improve things. Of course, this creates additional problems from logistical, cost and capacity angles!
    Last edited by Werner; 06-01-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling

  6. #6

    • He Gets The Job Done
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,156
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    They haven't given up on it because the announcement robot on Star Tours... Forgot her name. Tells guests no flash pictures. I don't know, but maybe since it is a little brighter in the ride than say Mansion or Pirates that they didn't think flash pictures would bother other guests like on Small World.

    It all bothers me. haha


  7. #7

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Not at Disneyland :(
    Posts
    2,477

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    2) After the ride, we realized that there was absolutely NO signs, announcements or CM instructions regarding Flash Pictures. So it really seems to me that Disney has simply "given up". If this is the case, it's quite sad.

    That is truly sad and leaves me speechless. People are going to take flash pictures anyway, but at least if you say no flash photography, maybe, just maybe, you might have someone listen and do what they are told. When you don't even make mention not to do it, then everyone with a flash (which nowdays is everyone with a camera) is free to "flash" away.

    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    382

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    I do think it's annoying when people use flash photography, but I've never heard anyone get called out on it on any ride besides Pirates. Even if they give the warning, it's pretty hard to enforce it.

  9. #9

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    They haven't given up on it because the announcement robot on Star Tours... Forgot her name. Tells guests no flash pictures. I don't know, but maybe since it is a little brighter in the ride than say Mansion or Pirates that they didn't think flash pictures would bother other guests like on Small World.

    It all bothers me. haha
    They have always enforced it on "videos" (which Star Tours is). This has more to do with copywrite than anything I think.

    Honestly though, I'm just amazed at how many people feel they have to take pictures on the rides. It's annoying and as I said, there are pictures out there ... better ones than you are going to get with the flash on your iPhone or point and shoot camera. So sit back and enjoy the ride.


  10. #10

    • He Gets The Job Done
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,156
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    They have always enforced it on "videos" (which Star Tours is). This has more to do with copywrite than anything I think.

    Honestly though, I'm just amazed at how many people feel they have to take pictures on the rides. It's annoying and as I said, there are pictures out there ... better ones than you are going to get with the flash on your iPhone or point and shoot camera. So sit back and enjoy the ride.
    Maybe this is about that Memories Campaign?! Curse you!!!!!


  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    35 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth
    Posts
    55

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    I also rode Little Mermaid yesterday during the AP preview -- and there was definitely an announcement prior to boarding NOT to take flash pictures "as it scares the fish". And I didn't see a single flash go off during the entire ride.

    Though my experience was completely opposite, I agree that more needs to be done about flash photography in the rides. If nothing else, they need increased signage, as whatever announcements there are may be poorly placed (for example, at the end of the art gallery in Mansion) and so are often not heard.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    540

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikkiandtheMouse View Post
    I do think it's annoying w[/b]hen people use flash photography, but I've never heard anyone get called out on it on any ride besides Pirates. Even if they give the warning, [b]it's pretty hard to enforce it.

    This.

    I find this highly, highly annoying. ESPECIALLY on Pirates when they're on your ship.

    BUT, what are they going to start doing? Confiscating cameras at the end of the ride if you flash after the first warning? Kicking you out of the park? Not allowing cameras at all? What if people don't speak English? The PA warnings on rides after you flash are in English.

    People most likely figured out they could do what they want and despite possibly getting warned, Disney's not going to do anything.

    So, yes, they've given up. Honestly, your best tactic is probably to start taking flash pictures of the people taking flash pictures. Blind them and see how they like it.

  13. #13

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by PinokeFan View Post
    I also rode Little Mermaid yesterday during the AP preview -- and there was definitely an announcement prior to boarding NOT to take flash pictures "as it scares the fish". And I didn't see a single flash go off during the entire ride.

    Though my experience was completely opposite, I agree that more needs to be done about flash photography in the rides. If nothing else, they need increased signage, as whatever announcements there are may be poorly placed (for example, at the end of the art gallery in Mansion) and so are often not heard.
    At least one of the cast members you encounter as your clamshell enters the ride should remind you to not use flash photography. I have yet to see a video of TLM where some person wasn't using flash photography. Hopefully this will stop after the grand opening.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Too Far From Disney
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    We did get a Survey after leaving Mermaid yesterday and TOTALLY forgot to mention that. Shoot.
    Definitely know how that feels. I forgot to mention that at WDW after I got off of the HM and I couldn't forgive myself for the rest of the day. It's a Huge annoyance for me. There's something about people who can't follow the rules that just ticks me off.

    I mean, if you forget to turn off your flash, that's understandable, but if you purposely do it, you should get the "Voice of god treatment"
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

  15. #15

    • Christmastime for Rocker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Heres
    Posts
    6,524
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Has Disney given up on the "No Flash Pictures" rule?

    I know exactly how you are feeling. Even though this has nothing to do with TLM, I went on Soarin once and somebody took flash pictures, there was no announcements. Go on Pirates, someone flashed three times, no call-out. So even though it is rare for me to see people taking flash pictues, this is a disappointment that when on this ride, nobody calls out.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 07:24 PM
  2. Has Disney achieved full churro integration throughout the DLR?
    By The International in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 02:59 PM
  3. Has Disney ever sold any of the Tiki Birds?
    By FantasyWatersDude in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 06:13 AM
  4. Has anyone tried to create the WHOLE Disney World?
    By FantasyWatersDude in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 03:23 AM
  5. Has Disney forgotten what the "dreams" are?
    By Morrigoon in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •