Best time / Where to sit / when make reservation cafe orleans?

I'll be @ DL on july 4th and I was planning on making a reservation for cafe orleans, how/ when should I do this? Online or by phone? Is there an up front fee like@ disneyworld ( like cinderellas castle..)
    what would be the best time to go?
    I remember someone said the peak time when people show up is around. 11am so, I was thinking maybe having lunch around noon? Id like to eat around the time when most people are riding rides.

Also, anyone know where I can find menu? Prices?

I thought that there was a place called cafe remy in new orleans but when I searched 'french food disneyland ' this is what came up. The place that I remember had a nice little patio....

Iswhere would you recommend. I sit? Is the weather really hot in july in so cal? Is the service better if I sit inside/

Any insight would be great!

• Shifting cargo

Re: Best time / Where to sit / when make reservation cafe orleans?

The lunch and dinner menus for Cafe Orleans are different so depending on what appeals to you most is the time that you should go.
    Here is a list of all of the DL and DCA restaurant menus.

There is no Cafe Remy, just a Cafe Orleans and they do serve ratatouille! The outside patio area is a nice place to sit depending on the weather, but the outside tables are shaded.
    Call Disney Dining at 1-714-781-346 to make the reservation.

In my experience the service has been the same whether you sit inside or out. If you enjoy french fries and garlic, MAKE SURE to order the Pommes Frites. They are heaven!

Have a magical trip!

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• Future Indy Castmember

Reserving ahead of time is done by phone. Contact the DL Dine line (you can find the number on the DL site) to make the reservation. They usually recommend 60 days in advance, but it really depends if the day you want is not full for that restaurant. I recommend calling now to make it. They'll ask for your name and party size. Then on that day, when its time, head there and say you have a reservation and then tell them your name when prompted and they'll get you in as soon as possible.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Ok, so I called and made a reservation for dinner, the operator asked my name, where I was staying and if it was for a 'special occasion' is this normal? He seemed a bit irritated with me when I asked if he needed my card number ( I mean, that's how its done in florida...) but he didn't give me a confirmation number.

Thanks for the link to the menu site, im quite surprised at the menu and prices.. 18 for one sandwich? And, my favorite salad was removed from the menu. Granted, its been several years since I have last eaten there but I don't remember the prices being so high.. has the service or experience been improved greatly? Or, does it have something to do with being asked about a 'special occasion' maybe they raised costs to compensate for anniversary / birthday freebies ? I went for my birthday many years ago and I didn't have a big to do.. but then, I was paying a lot less for my meal.

Im considering canceling and checking out goofys kitchen? But, I have my reservations.. I had a crummy experience. With cinderllas castle, I got the vibe everyone was weirded out by two adults w/ no kids at a character breakfast... and honesty, I wasn't wowed by the food.. haha now, im beginning to understand that ' not all disney food is bad thread..' haha

I thought the carnation cafe menu looked ok, and the prices seemed reasonable.

What do you recommend?

Wait, is carnation cafe the place next to tiki room or the little outdoor cafe near the bathroom and candy store on mainstreet?

• Lurker

Carnation Cafe is on Main Street.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadamMIMi View Post
    Wait, is carnation cafe the place next to tiki room or the little outdoor cafe near the bathroom and candy store on mainstreet?
    Carnation is the outdoor cafe and it's mostly a breakfast place. The head chef there, Oscar, is the longest tenured DL CM and he has a dish named after him.

The place next to the Tiki Room is the Plaza Pavilion, no longer a restaurant. Across the street, however, is the Plaza Inn, which serves pasta and chicken. It's another good alternative to Cafe Orleans.

If you're willing to leave the park, go to Downtown Disney and eat at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. It's like New Orleans Square, only you get your money's worth.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Shifting cargo

Ok, so I called and made a reservation for dinner, the operator asked my name, where I was staying and if it was for a 'special occasion' is this normal? He seemed a bit irritated with me when I asked if he needed my card number ( I mean, that's how its done in florida...) but he didn't give me a confirmation number.

Thanks for the link to the menu site, im quite surprised at the menu and prices.. 18 for one sandwich? And, my favorite salad was removed from the menu. Granted, its been several years since I have last eaten there but I don't remember the prices being so high.. has the service or experience been improved greatly? Or, does it have something to do with being asked about a 'special occasion' maybe they raised costs to compensate for anniversary / birthday freebies ? I went for my birthday many years ago and I didn't have a big to do.. but then, I was paying a lot less for my meal.

Im considering canceling and checking out goofys kitchen? But, I have my reservations.. I had a crummy experience. With cinderllas castle, I got the vibe everyone was weirded out by two adults w/ no kids at a character breakfast... and honesty, I wasn't wowed by the food.. haha now, im beginning to understand that ' not all disney food is bad thread..' haha

What do you recommend?
    Some restaurants don't give you a confirmation number. It just depends on the restaurant. That CM's irritation is not your problem, it's his. Much of the food at the nicer restaurants, that is the restaurants that take reservations, are more expensive.

Blue Bayou's food quality differs from person to person and it's a bit pricey, but the atmosphere is wonderful. The atmosphere is mainly what you're paying for. It's my favorite restaurant in the park. Look over the menu and see if there's anything that sounds good to you. if you do decide to dine there, make sure to ask for an H20 table. An H20 table is a waterside table right along the bayou. You're right next to the fireflies and you're surrounded by crickets and chirping not matter where you sit in there.

Are you looking for recommendations for restaurants that are on the nicer side or more casual dining?

• A Weather Eye Open

the monte cristo sandwich is 18 bucks but it is large and filling... i split it with someone and we still couldn't finish it, much less our pommes frittes.

cafe orleans, blue bayou, and big thunder ranch bbq are the most expensive meal options inside the parks (not counting DTD or hotels, or club 33). You're paying for the great service they have there, the atmosphere, and counter service with real plates and silverware and glasses, in addition to the highest food quality in the parks (still not super gourmet when compared to real-life nice restaurants)

you just need your name to make the reservation (technically it's not a res, it's priority seating). If you are going to be late for your seating time you can call have a CM call the restaurant from any park phone and let them know, or even reschedule if you're like stuck on a ride for an hour.

if you're looking for something less pricey, carnation cafe has all the atmosphere and service for lightly less. it's a sandwich, salad, soup menu that's even more cafe-y than orleans, and they do not do dinner. but they are delish.

If you want a more casual, cheaper, cafeteria-style restaurant or counter service, that's a whole nother ballgame in terms of tips and recommendations.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Ok, so I called and made a reservation for dinner, the operator asked my name, where I was staying and if it was for a 'special occasion' is this normal? He seemed a bit irritated with me when I asked if he needed my card number ( I mean, that's how its done in florida...) but he didn't give me a confirmation number...
    DLR uses a guest's last name as their confirmation "number" (in the case of multiple guest ADRs with the same last name, they break it down by time, location, party size, etc). While WDW gives you a confirmation number, a CM can also look up all of your reservations by your name as well (I've been able to do this over the phone).

If you sit outside you get more of a street "ambiance," as opposed to the more closed-in "cafe" feeling if you sit inside (tables are small and placed close together). Cafe Orleans' menu is pretty darn close to Blue Bayou's with the Monte Cristo and French Onion soup (my husband had both of those last time we ate there, really yummy dishes). If you decide to eat at Carnation Cafe instead, just call back and change your reservation, OR if you decide last-minute while you're at the park, cancel the reservation you aren't using with the host at the restaurant. Although you could always eat lightly and sample BOTH restaurants. Just a thought!

• DLR Cast Member

Ok, so I called and made a reservation for dinner...
    Remember, you're not truly making a reservation per se. You're simply making a "priority dining" arrangement. This means you get the first available seat after your check-in upon arrival (unlike a researvation, which reserves a table for you at a specific time). It's important to know this, because there's still sometimes a short wait after you show up. But your wait is going to be significantly shorter than stand-by seating.
    ... the operator asked my name, where I was staying and if it was for a 'special occasion' is this normal?
    Yes, this is normal. They will do something cute for birthdays, anniveraries, etc.
    He seemed a bit irritated with me when I asked if he needed my card number ( I mean, that's how its done in florida...) but he didn't give me a confirmation number.
    You might have caught him off-guard. There's no confirmation number. Your last name and phone number (if it's a common name) will do.
    Thanks for the link to the menu site, im quite surprised at the menu and prices.. 18 for one sandwich?
    If it's dinner during peak season, that sounds about right. A typical peak season table service meal will be about $15-20 for lunch, and $20-30 for dinner. The Cafe Orleans quality of fare is consistent with the prices being charged, IMO. I eat there about once a month.
    ...does it have something to do with being asked about a 'special occasion'...
    No, they don't charge for special occaisions. Most Disney dining locations will do something cute for special occaisions at no charge.
    Im considering canceling and checking out goofys kitchen?
    Goofy's Kitchen will run you about $10 more per person, but it's a buffet, plus, it's a character dining venue. So you get what you pay for.
    With cinderllas castle, I got the vibe everyone was weirded out by two adults w/ no kids at a character breakfast... and honesty, I wasn't wowed by the food...
    Not sure why. The last time I was at WDW, my wife and I had the character preakfast at Cinderella Castle, and we had no kids. There were several adult groups there that day with no kids. No one gave us (or any of the other adults) a second look at all. And I thought the food was fnatastic.
    Carnation Cafe has great breakfasts, but their dinner fare is much smaller and lighter. I'd liken their lunch and dinner fare to quick service-type food, but in a table service atmosphere. If you're looking for a full dinner, it might not fill you up. If your'e looking for just regular diner-type sandwich plates, then it's just fine. I'm not a fan of their dinners, but they're not particularly bad at all. They're jsut not for me.

You guys are really great! Thanks foor clearing all of that up!
    I thought about it and, I think you're right- really, you are getting what you pay for I do remember the cafe orleans being really good but after reading over all your comments I think that really, what im looking for is just a place to take a little break and grab a bite to eat without the hassle of trying to find a table whole holding a platte of food. I know that we'll have to wait to actually get a table but its much less stressful thank trying to navigate a crowd while holding a cold cheeseburger. If we were to go to one of the more upscale restaurants I think, id like to linger there and enjoy the atmosphere, and.. since we only have the one day I the park, it mightt be better to do that another day.

I think the carnation cafe will do nicely, its a sit down place with a light meal and it offers people watching. @ a reasonable price.

Im sad to hear the plaza pavillion is gone. that is where I ate with my family as a child. Do they have any plans to do something with that area?

Oh! Also! Speaking of special occasions- I was considering surprising my husband with an anual pass. ( he was just offered a job in so cal; and I thought it would be a nice little 'welcome' surprise)

Do you think I could arrange a way for the waiter to bring over the envelope with the disney dollars in it during the meal? ( I say disney dollars and not pass because when I called dl ticketing they told me I must have a so cal address on my licence before I can buy a so cal pass.)

Or, would that be a bad idea? My husband is very aware of my tricks so, maybe I could slip it to the hostess when we check in? I know if I had to ' go to the bathroom ' right after we ordered he know I was up to something.

Does the carnation cafe have a little area when the waiter could keep a small package or envelope without him seeing?

I really want to make this a special event, our anniversary, his birthday and our moving to SO CAL are all happening
    within the same month!
    Last edited by MadMadamMIMi; 06-05-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: brainfart

• Shifting cargo

The Plaza Pavillion is where they have the Annual Passholder processing center now. The Plaza Inn is right across the way and is pretty good. Plus for all of us non-AP's, they have an AAA discount.

CM's are very helpful in assisting with surprises and such. I'm sure your server would be more than happy to help you surprise your hubby. It would be best if he needed to use the bathroom before you went to eat, giving you time to talk to the host or hostess but that's only in a perfect scenario. Or on the way to the restaurant you could comment on how you have to use the bathroom and then once you get there and order, then "go to the bathroom" and talk with your waiter or waitress.

Btw, I like your reason for editing

You could always ask your husband to look for an item at one of the stores on Main Street (sugarfree bubble gum at the Candy Palace, for example... cuz it doesn't exist there), and then quickly sneak the surprise package over to Carnation Cafe. Just remember that if it's already in a wrapped box, security might ask you to open it. This probably wouldn't happen, but it COULD... I really have no clue what security does when guests arrive at the park with wrapped presents, though I've seen ppl carting them around. If you're going to use actual funds... maybe you should consider a giftcard, as that's easier to track/cancel? Again, this is just a thought.

Also, while your zip code might not yet qualify for a SoCal AP, your valid ticket IS accepted for any AP upgrade; the cost of the ticket will be deducted from the overall AP price as long as you redeem it within the dates your ticket is good for. Example: if you have a one day ticket, you can upgrade THAT day. If you have a four day pass, you can upgrade at any time during the four days your ticket is valid. Does any of that make sense?

Sorry for all the misc suggestions... I'm just a wee bit excited as my family will be at DLR in less than two weeks!!!

@ redhandedjill OOps! Haha I didn't know that my reason would show! Haha!
    @ cris, great ideas thank you! Havea great time on your trip!

Ill try my best to let you know how it turns out!