Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Would Pixarland have worked better than the 'new' DCA?

Before I start, I would just like to say I prefer the things that are actually happening to having a Pixar park.

So lets go before World of Color, Toy Story Midway Mania, Silly Symphony Swings, Carsland and The Little Mermaid were build and announced. When DCA was its old self.

If I was the main decision maker for what to do with DCA, I would have honestly gone with a total Pixar park. I would have been abit reluctant to do it, but I would have in the end.

Paradise Pier had concept art to change it to a Toy Story themed Pier. The Orange Stinger was going to be changed into a Claw themed ride with those green aliens. Midway Mania was going to be built, the Zephyr was going to get a Zurgh overlay. Green Army Men were going to take over the Maliboomer. Then Screamin could become a generic Toy Story rollercoaster and the Games of the Boardwark all become Toy Story oriented.

This would have meant that Paradise Pier, Bugs Land and the soon to be announced Carsland would all be Pixar themed. Add in the Pixar Parade and most of the park is Pixar.

This would only leave the Golden State and Hollywood Pictures Backlot left.
    If I was the decision maker, I would have turned the Golden State into a UP themed area with Soarin over California replaced with an UP film and also added in some UP characters to Grizzly River Run.

This would leave Hollywood Pictures Backlot, which is abit trickier. I would have replaced Aladdin with the Toy Story Musical, kept Monsters Inc, and replaced Muppetvision 3D with a Incredibles 3D film. Then you have a basic Pixar street, which would be the 'Contemporyland' many people have mentioned on here before.

I just think this would have been more of a guarantee money maker then what they are doing now. Yes, I would much prefer what they are currently doing now to this, but I would have reluctantly done this if I was in charge.

Now before I get flamed to death I know I've missed bits out, like the Tower of Terror and the Pacific Wharf area, but seriously what could you do with them, Pixar wise?

But I think this would have gone well with Disneyland. Having a Disneyland and a Pixarland seems to mix well. Plus it would make an excuse to get Nemo out of the Subs

• formerly very helpful

Re: Would Pixarland have worked better than the 'new' DCA?

As creative an idea as that is, I don't think a Pixarland would truly have the lasting power or overall appeal to make it a successful park. Even when Disneyland opened in 1955, many/most of the attractions were not based on Disney films. They took the overall theme of the area, and created inspired (sometimes not so much) attractions, such as stagecoach, pack mules, autopia, jungle cruise, railroad, riverboat, flight to the moon - none of which were based on Disney movies. Yes, there were a few, but the park wasn't really based on that. For the most part, it was only Fantasyland that really showcased the Disney flicks. That was only one land.
    I don't think a park based on Pixar would last. I think they are going the right direction, although I do think personally there is a little too much Pixar represented as it is.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I don't think a park based on Pixar would last. I think they are going the right direction, although I do think personally there is a little too much Pixar represented as it is.

Agree with every you say, especially this.

To be honest I think a Pixar Park would bring in millions for the next 10 years, but would die off once the films loose thier popularity. This is what worries me about Carsland. Is it really going to be relevant in 10, 20, 30 years time?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Sorry, but no in this case...at least with not making it named Pixar exclusively, they have the option to do other things. They likely will add more Pixar than I'd like, but there are areas still open to doing things beyond that and about California...calling it Pixarland is quite simply too limiting, full stop (and I love most of the Pixar movies).

• Minion

Just so people know I dont or never have wanted this to happen, I like what there doing now and agree with the people who say theres too much Pixar anway
    I just think that it would work and drive up attendances, even if I dont like it myself

I think it definetly would have been a more exciting theme because most guests to Disneyland are California Residents. And honestly,what California Resident wants to go to California for a vacation? Disneyland is so special because its surreal, its not realistic, its like nothing you'd experience in the normal world. Its like a whole other world. We Californians see California everyday, there is nothing magical about it.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyMouse View Post
    I think it definetly would have been a more exciting theme because most guests to Disneyland are California Residents. And honestly,what California Resident wants to go to California for a vacation? Disneyland is so special because its surreal, its not realistic, its like nothing you'd experience in the normal world. Its like a whole other world. We Californians see California everyday, there is nothing magical about it.
    Just a quick opinion.....Disneyland is magical, yes, but that isn't the same as being surreal. Pirates and Mansion, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Big Thunder...they are all 'realistic' fantasies. Not just totally out there...it's about taking you to a different reality and selling it, not throwing fantasy stuff out indiscriminately Small distinction. DCA can still be realistic and not all about cartoons and still have distinctive and original attractions.

• Nutty about Disney parks

It makes me shudder how close this actually came to becoming reality.

This thread brings up two issues that have plagued the whole DCA expansion:

A. The majority of Pixar films are far too contemporary to lend themselves to any particular Disney-park theme unless that theme is centered around the film or its characters. Thus the Pixar-lands.

and

B. The original theme of Disney's California Adventure makes it near impossible to incorporate Disney characters and movies appropriate to the theme and make it work. At least Epcot had World Showcase to save them when the lack-of-Disney issue came up there. How many familiar/popular Disney films and characters do we know of that are actually based in or set around California (outside of Mickey and the gang)? "Cars" is the only Disney or Pixar film that would come remotely close to fitting into DCA as it was intended to be. "The Little Mermaid" only incorporates itself into Paradise Pier as the theme of the pier NOT the theme of the park. Same can be said for all the stuff that was put into the Hollywood section of the park.

Anyway, the other thing that would bother me about a Pixar land (aside from being too much like Universal's park if taking this approach) is that we already have Pixar attractions and characters within Disneyland park so it wouldn't make a whole lotta sense and in a way you get too much redundancy. I prefer parks that have a diverse representation of Disney and Pixar being represented in each Disney park.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

No.

• Banned User

I think it would be good in the short term but what if Pixar had another falling-out with Disney? In a perfect world I think that Lassiter has the talent & pull in the company to put together extraordinary big budget attractions indicative of the Disney quality standards of the seventies & eighties. If it took the inclusion of every Pixar movie to create the possibility of better attractions then I'd still be all for it.

• Workin to live,lovin life

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    I think it would be good in the short term but what if Pixar had another falling-out with Disney? In a perfect world I think that Lassiter has the talent & pull in the company to put together extraordinary big budget attractions indicative of the Disney quality standards of the seventies & eighties. If it took the inclusion of every Pixar movie to create the possibility of better attractions then I'd still be all for it.
    So true. Stuff like that happens all the time in the entertainment industry. Think MGM Studios in WDW.

Who knows if the Pixar attractions would still remain in tact. It wouldn't be as simple as Magic Mountain's Terminator Salvation turning into Apocalypse. And there isn't a guarantee to keep the characters similar to UniversalSF IA keeping the Marvel themed rides.

But it would be a completely different DLR with a Pixar Park. Nemo and Buzz Lightyear would have ended up in that park as well... but to have the Toy Story Musical would be a horrible choice. It is by far one of the worst Disney themed musicals. It basically lacks... everything good in a musical.

However, instead of the Bear as a mountain, they could have the Up House sitting near the waterfall using forced perspective similar to Hogwarts.

Hollywood Pictures Backlot could have the Incredibles and villains running around there more than they already do.

And maybe have a stunt show with the Incredibles? That would be tough, but stunt shows like Universals' Waterworld are amazing.

• Banned User

Although people joked for year DCA was basically turning into an unofficial Pixarland anyway, I guess its not to far from the truth. And JUST think, on opening day this park has ONE Pixar attraction, ITTBAB, and that was it! They didnt have Pixar walking characters around, just Mickey and the gang. 10 years later and this is what a failed park does I guess.

BUT, people have said it, end of the day Pixar is too contempoary (especially with what they are trying to do with DCA now) and too limiting. That said, I'm surprised that people dont see the potential for a BIGGER more expansive theme that couldve really been added to DCA as its become just as relevant to the park as DCA has become: Animation!

I argued this in another thread that has since died long ago, but the park IS all about toons these days and that couldve been the TRUE focus of the park and it basically is anyway. Think about it.

Look at ALL the new additions: WOC, PP revamps with the Fab Five, TLM, CL, TSM, Disney Jr and etc. Think about all that's been added since 2002: Alladin, FFF, MI and Pixar Parades. Yes, Pixar has had the bigger emphasis, but its just been one big character drive for DCA in general. MUCH more than DL in fact. In fact the ONLY non-character ride that's been added since opening is TOT. All the rest Pixar/Disney characters.

But I think this is they way they shouldve gone, make it a park towards Animation in general. It would KIND of be like ToonTown in the sense we will be in a park where we live in the characters world, but a more realism slant to keep with DCA's approach that has already been set, not advocating any wholesale changes to what's already there. BVS was a great start as it already will be about Walt, the man who started it all and where the dream factory began. Even better, the emphasis would be on the original characters like Oswald the Rabbit and highlight Walts early years (CCT couldve been a great museum highlighting his life and clips of his past cartoons similiar to the cinema on MS, but a mixture of cinema and museum, but moving on...). But the early characters having businesses named after them is already a great idea and sort of how the rest of the park would go.

Hollywoodland would be an obvious extention of that. Again, already have Animation studio there and every attraction besides TOT is already character based as it is. But have HL be an emphasis of where the toons work sort of like how Toontown is where they live. Realism of HL couldve stayed, but the backstage area of 'toon studios' where Muppets, MI, etc is couldve been done in a more cartoony way. And they have two empty buildings for future rides/expansion of this theme.

PP, minus Screamin is already character based: GSS, SSS, TSM, TLM, MFW. Change PP theme that Micey and Co. is running the pier, simple, done! The new restaurants couldve had a different theme like a Minnie Mouse and Daisey restaurant near GSS and there is already a TLM restaurant as well. Give Screamin a villians theme that has been tossed around for years and thats done as well.

FFF and CL is obviously set. So the ONLY areas that would need a bigger revamp would be GRR, Condor Flats and the warf! Its rumored RCCT will be based on Up soon and GRR could be another 'Run by a character' angle. I'm GUESSING there are a few white water old cartoons they could base it on like GSS and SSS. I do know there are wilderness shorts with Mickey and the gang and they sprinkled references all over the place. Soarin, like TOT, is just too popular to change wholeheartily, so not sure what they could do. I'm not naive, I wouldnt expect them to change these attractions and they shouldnt, but oddly besides Screamin and GRR, both which as I said could be given an easy revamp, these two cant change. So keep them. Park theme wont be perfect, but its not perfect now. Lots of thematic conflicts when you think about it, but it mostly works.

Anyway, sorry if I 'hijacked' the thread with my idea. I wasnt trying to. My point is Pixarland MAYBE wouldve worked at the beginning, but there are just as many NON-Pixar character based rides in the park, with TLM opening just this week as a big example. So instead of trying to shoehorn only Pixar, give it a bigger scope and make it about animated character in general and you can have a field day with Pixar, Disney movies, classic shorts, Disney series like Duck Takes, Kim Possible, etc. It suddenly opens up an entire range of ideas and since you are now dealing with characters of ALL eras, you are no longer stuck with just contempoary themes that the Pixar characters mostly inhabit and why they look out of place like TSM in a '1920s' pier or MI in a '1930's' Hollywood. You can have past, present and future just like DL and have the lands take place anywhere from the desert like Carsland to visiting Alladin in his own themed land of Agrabaugh similar to what TDS Arabian Coast does now in that park. The list would be endless for future expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    DCA can still be realistic and not all about cartoons and still have distinctive and original attractions.
    Yet all the distinctive attractions are being rethemed to be all about cartoons.

I've always been on the boat with the Pixar Park idea because I remember the first day I went to DCA (opening week) I didn't feel any "Magic" about it. To me, walking around a California themed theme park is like building the Paris Las Vegas Hotel in France.

I feel the current re-imagining of the park is wasted because "Old Los Angeles" isn't that great of an idea either. And even if you throw in the "This is the LA Walt Disney First Arrived To" gimmick then it sounds even worse because Disney was someone who actually CHANGED the way the world looks, the entertainment business and the way Theme Parks are built.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    I think it would be good in the short term but what if Pixar had another falling-out with Disney?
    What kind of falling out? Disney owns Pixar and has since 2006 when they bought the company which was then valued at $7.4 billion. If there was any "falling out", Disney would just fire the people that it had a problem with and move on with making more great Pixar style movies.

Now that I got that out of my way, I don't think calling the park Pixarland would work. I think the die hard Disney fans would understand what that means, but the average park goer would be confused. I think to the average person, Toy Story is a Disney movie even though the Pixar logo comes up at the beginning of the move. Remember, they show a Pixarized version of the castle before each of their movies too which would lead to the average persons inability to separate the two entities. Further, I feel there is also no need for the separation as they are the same company now.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion of Chernabog

Pixar is a brand, not a theme. Simply being made by the same studio doesn't mean they're compatible.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast