• let's talk Disney, okay!

Disney's On the Record in the Hyperion?

Disney's On the Record was a show developed by Disney Theatricals and was sent out as a touring show. It is essentially a Jukebox Musical (Jersey Boys, All Shook Up), but the arrangements of many of the songs are incredible. The tour failed, not based on the performance of the show, but complete lack of advertisement.

But I thought that with some re-working, maybe some more movement and dance work, it could MOST definately work in the Hyperion! Here are some clips from the original tour. Make sure to keep an eye out for Ashley Brown, who was a replacement Belle on Broadway and was the original Mary Poppins in the Broadway production!

YouTube - ‪Disney's On The Record Pt. 1‬‏

YouTube - ‪Disney's On The Record Pt.2‬‏

YouTube - ‪Disney's On The Record Pt.3‬‏

YouTube - ‪Disney's On The Record Pt.4‬‏

YouTube - ‪Disney's On The Record Pt.5‬‏

This is personally my FAVORITE arrangement. AMAZING!

YouTube - ‪Disney's On The Record - Disc One - 3. Can You Feel the love Tonight?/I Won't Say/Let's Get Together‬‏

So what are your thoughts? Do you think this could work in the Hyperion?

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• Minion

Re: Disney's On the Record in the Hyperion?

In all honesty, if you plonked that show in the theatre, how it is in the videos, I don't think it would work, sorry. However, if you dressed the set up abit, had actual characters singing (or more costumed people, for instance the Minnie song in one of the vids), instead of the singers in the videos,added some dancing in, then I think it could work. But then thats just about a completely different show.

The idea could work, but it would have to be drastically different to the videos.

• Banned User

I can see why it failed. It's not a Broadway show, it's a poorly done concert. The vocals may be great but there is no dancing, no story telling, there is not enough going on for it to appeal towards the theme park audience.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    I can see why it failed. It's not a Broadway show, it's a poorly done concert. The vocals may be great but there is no dancing, no story telling, there is not enough going on for it to appeal towards the theme park audience.
    I agree, I like the music, but bad idea for DCA's Hyperion
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

This seems a lot like what was there in the early days of DCA, Steps in Time i think it was, just without the dancing and the weird "remixes" of classic songs

• Back in Black

I saw it when it came to Denver, and while yes I agree the songs were incredibly well done, I also agree that it lacked... oomph that could make it great. Granted, I don't know what that oomph would be, but it definitely needed something a little more.
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

I always had the idea of a big musical review of the classic films in cinema history. Think the Great Movie Ride, but as a stage production. It could please all generations with Singin' in the Rain to the Wizard of Oz. Each movie scene having lavish sets and costumes...

• -

I always thought a good stand up act would be good, or perhaps a dueling piano show.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I always thought a good stand up act would be good, or perhaps a dueling piano show.
    I think those would be interesting, but not in Hyperion, maybe something the size of Playhouse disney, or mixed with a restaurant.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

With the way "Aladdin" has set the bar for whatever comes to the Hyperion, I'm not sure "On the Record" quite cut it.

I do think it plays on the Disney cruise ships as one of the offerings and it could work as a show over at TDS.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

I agree with everyone that it lacks a certain theatrical quality that makes it more a concert than a musical, and that is why I put in my original post that some added movement and dance work, perhaps some projections, that it could work with a "theme park audience".

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!