Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• A Pirate's life for me!

Sad Blue Bayou Blues

Well, our luck finally ran out...

We finally had our first bad experience with the BB.

While trying to enjoy lunch last monday, here is what we experienced.

After taking our order and serving us our salads and drinks, our server disappeared for the rest of the day. After our main dishes arrived, we were left to fend for ourselves. No one checked on us. No one offered us re-fills. We had to continually stop servers as they passed us to ask for assistance. Finally, a nice bus-boy saw our frustration and asked if he could help. He took care of the re-fills and cleared the dishes. We then waited about another 10 minutes before finding him again and asking him about dessert. The dessert tray arrived and we ordered the Jack cake and a special dessert for our sons birthday. Another 10 minutes goes by before our dessert arrives. My sons chocolate mouse was dropped off with the candle unlit and with no one to say happy b-day. We lit the candle by using the one in the lamp on the table. Another 10 minutes or so, before the check arrived.

While this was all happening, a wagon train of 6' tall steel carts on wheels were being pushed back and forth in the aisle next to our table. The first few really went un-noticed, but by the time the count hit about 10, I was getting annoyed. They were going from the kitchen and out the hallway to Pirates. Some were full and some were empty. I would say that about 18-20 of them passed us while we were trying to enjoy our meal. Again, no one to ask about them or to complain about them. At least four or five of them actually bumped into my younger sons chair. So much so, that he started to duck each time that we would hear the rumbling of the carts approach us.

Finally, we were able to pay our check and get the heck out of there.

Very disappointing meal experience. The food was great, but talk about a lack of ambience and/or service. We know that this is not the norm, but it should not be experienced, either.

Hopefully, it won't happen again.

Melmel...What's up with the carts???
    Last edited by PirateMickey; 12-01-2005 at 08:59 PM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Blue Bayou Blues

Sorry your experience at the Blue Bayou was bad.

The majority of times I've gone the service was not good, I figure it must be because I look like just some dumb kid who just wants to make a mess with my friends but whatever. We often don't leave a tip because we're treated so poorly. I usually get poor service when I go to the Bayou, and I usually shrug it off - I've gotten bad service (but not as bad) with adults as well... maybe bad service is just commonplace at the Bayou - it is an extremely small and cramped space and there never realy seems to be enough CMs running around... However, I return to the Bayou simply because I'd rather pay the price for the ambience and atmosphere and because I live for the Monte Cristos Unfortunately, I don't think exceptional service is something one might normally find at the Blue Bayou...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

And why didn't you complain to anyone. This is the highest mistake you can make at a restaurant. When no one was coming by thats when you should have requested to see a lead. Its better to say something sonner then later. I know about it cause I work for a food place.
    Jeff Wayne

• no flash photography...

Most of the time when I got he service sucks and we have gotten stuck by the dish area and loud areas before. The last two times we went we did get excellent service, but we were there right when it opened and before it got crazy busy. Oh and the seats by the water aren't that great either. You then get boats of people yeliing hi at you and flashing pictures as they go by. It gets very annoying after awhile. IMO blue bayou is WAY over hyped, but I guess for an amusement park it's ok.

Question Re: Blue Bayou Blues

You asked for a manager/lead during your meal right? Or did you just sit there and watch as your service got worse and worse and made your family deal with it?

If you didn't say anything about your bad service, then don't think things will magicaly get better. I would have at least stopped by City Hall if nothing else and filed a written complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    IMO blue bayou is WAY over hyped
    I agree 110%!
    -Wes

• Down Pluto!

They probably barely had enough staff to keep BB open. They are paying big signing bonuses to get people to apply...

No one is addressing the real issues. The wages are abysmally low, the attendance policies are causing CM's to be booted faster than they can train new ones, and when the TDA elites sign up for their turn to assist in the park - they ditch.

And anyone wonders why at this point in time they get less than a magical customer service experience?

• Guardian Construct

last time i went we had poor service and also had people at the next table throwing bread at the boats as they went by. i asked a waiter to adress this and was told he would not becuse they were doing nothing wrong!

No tip for you! yes i talked to a higher up but it did not make our dinner much better. none wanted to serve us for telling on him. they gave us our dinner free. i will try it one last time if it sucks i will just not bother going again. disney has so many people they wont care if one person skips going to that one place.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Honestly, I've always thought that the Blue Bayou is way overrated. I never really liked the food and I think you're really just paying for the environment which I would rather spend on better food.

• Down Pluto!

Are you folks totally unaware of the meltdown that is happening?

• Guardian Construct

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo
    Are you folks totally unaware of the meltdown that is happening?
    Any job worth doing is worth doing well. I do not feel that ruining the guest day is a good way to get a pay increase.
    I also know that some people that work harder than disnyland employees for less money! And they have to worry about getting killed in the process. So no i am not jumping on the poor employee band wagon.
    I did work at disneyland for a while and it was not fun when i was there. so i moved onto a job i did enjoy without making customers suffer for it!

• Banned User

Surprisingly enough me and my other teenage friends have never had a problem there. We're not seated in 'prime areas' but the service is usually pretty good (we're never in a rush there anyway) and our waiter is always nice.

Sorry you had such a bad time. But you should complain, maybe it'll make the restaraunt re-look at some of the things it is doing and how to fix them.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan
    Any job worth doing is worth doing well. I do not feel that ruining the guest day is a good way to get a pay increase.
    I also know that some people that work harder than disnyland employees for less money! And they have to worry about getting killed in the process. So no i am not jumping on the poor employee band wagon.
    I did work at disneyland for a while and it was not fun when i was there. so i moved onto a job i did enjoy without making customers suffer for it!
    You SO missed the point...

• Guardian Construct

okay so i dont start an agument. what was your point so i get it before i say anything further so i make sure we are on the same page?

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo
    No one is addressing the real issues. The wages are abysmally low,
    how much do servers at Blue bayou make? The going rate in southern ca is $6.75 an hour with no raises. They live on tips. Thw whining about wages for servers is falling on deaf ears with me. They are not paid any less than any other server and all serving jobs all stressful.

• Guardian Construct

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    how much do servers at Blue bayou make? The going rate in southern ca is $6.75 an hour with no raises. They live on tips. Thw whining about wages for servers is falling on deaf ears with me. They are not paid any less than any other server and all serving jobs all stressful.
    ever been to a Bobby mcGee's? the pay is the same and they also work in costume. The job is stressful but the employees choose to do a good job for that amount of money instead of messing with the day of the customers. So i agree with you on that one!

They cant tell me that it was an understaffed day that was the trouble they had enough people but they were to busy standing around talking. untill management showed all the sudden they knew the job and everyone got good service untill they left again. they made that choice to stand and chat with each other about who was sleeping with who. i could hear them just fine. do they deserve a raise for this? i dont think sooooooo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast