• I'm a Lutheran

If Tomorrowland 2055 Happened...

If Tomorrowland 2055 was implemented back in the 90's, what would Tomorrowland look like today? I have the sickest feeling that we would have both the Laugh Floor Comedy Club and Stitch's Great Escape here at Disneyland. In case you don't know anything about Tomorrowland 2055, here's a brief summary...basically the idea was to re-theme Tomorrowland by setting it 100 years from the opening of Disneyland. Ancient alien relics had been discovered by archaeologists, stating that Disneyland is the place to be when searching for intergalactic travel and whatnot. With this new intergalactic theme, aliens would pretty much have a complete takeover of Tomorrowland. Planned attractions included ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter, Timekeeper, Lightkeepers, Plectu's Fantastic Intergalactic Revue, Battle Droids/UFO Show/Nostromo, and Sky Walks (A second level added above Star Tours and Circle-Vision). Star Tours and Space Mountain were the only attractions mentioned to stay in place, so I have no idea what would happen to the Rocket Jets, Captain EO, Submarine Voyage, Autopia, and PeopleMover, so I'm just going to assume that they would have stayed.

Now that you know what was in store, what do you think would be there now knowing the fate of Alien Encounter and Timekeeper at the Magic Kingdom...here's my take...

1. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
    2. Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club
    3. Stitch's Great Escape
    4. Captain EO Tribute
    5. Space Mountain
    6. Innoventions
    7. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    8. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
    9. Autopia
    10. Monorail
    11. Disneyland Railroad

My thoughts on what Tomorrowland would be like today if Tomorrowland 2055 was a successfully executed project.
    "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

• We Go On.

Re: If Tomorrowland 2055 Happened...

That's an interesting perspective. I get so sad every time I think about Alien Encounter closing solely because it was deemed "non-Disney." It was one of the best things Eisner ever did, in my opinion. The story was very original, with a greedy alien retailer exhibiting their rushed product. Maybe TDO closed it because it brought attention to the fact that they do that very thing on a regular basis, except with attractions instead of teleportation systems.

• Future Imagineer

^

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    That's an interesting perspective. I get so sad every time I think about Alien Encounter closing solely because it was deemed "non-Disney." It was one of the best things Eisner ever did, in my opinion. The story was very original, with a greedy alien retailer exhibiting their rushed product. Maybe TDO closed it because it brought attention to the fact that they do that very thing on a regular basis, except with attractions instead of teleportation systems.

It sounded awesome, but I guess it was just legit scaring the holy hell out of people too much. Disney likes mild thrills, not pants S***ing terror on average.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    I would have loved to have seen the original Nostromo/Alien Encounter concept. I was a little disappointed with the one that opened as it didn't really frighten me.

• Pirate for life

I honestly liked the idea of the alien artifacts and intergalactic space travel brought into Tomorrowland. With the incorporation of Alien Encounter and maybe even the Timekeeper, it could have been something nice rather than the failed Jules Verne concept.

On a side note, I was lucky enough to find, at a thrift store, a Tomorrowland 2055 Imagineer Jacket. It actually very comfy! :-D

• (Not a) New User

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    It sounded awesome, but I guess it was just legit scaring the holy hell out of people too much. Disney likes mild thrills, not pants S***ing terror on average.
    It was closed because it was deemed too scary by parents whose kids were horrified of the show because they didn't read the sign that said "this show is scary".

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• I'm a Lutheran

Disney did buy the rights to the character, but as you can see, the planned attraction was never brought into reality. Instead they dedicated a section of the Great Movie Ride to Alien.

I too am curious to see how it would have been like. I can honestly imagine the giant monster lurking about the darkest regions of some spaceport of 2055. And it was a laser-shooter ride. I recall a rumor a while back where they were going to re-theme Alien Encounter to the Monsters, Inc. Factory. Instead of an X-S demonstration it would have been an M.I. demonstration with a fateful encounter with an evil monster. This was just a rumor so I have no proof.

Plectu's Fantastic Intergalactic Revue would have been an interesting sight to see. I've seen character designs and they look really weird...almost a cross between a human and an animal of some kind. Apparently the attraction would have been hosted by P.T. Quantum, the owner of the traveling space circus. Timekeeper is something I always wanted to see, but unfortunately it will never come back...unless they put on a Timekeeper Tribute Show somewhere...I highly doubt it...

Star Tours would have fit in just fine, as would the Space Mountain of the 90's, with its little robot animatronic in the loading area. Does anyone know anything about what would have happened to Autopia, the Submarine Voyage, and PeopleMover?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKid1994 View Post
    It was closed because it was deemed too scary by parents whose kids were horrified of the show because they didn't read the sign that said "this show is scary".

I think parents saw that and figured "yeah, scary like the Haunted Mansion is scary" and didn't realize it was legit. Kinda like any fast food that advertises as spicy isn't all that hot.

• formerly very helpful

I'll be honest. I've been on the original Alien Encounter. I was really gearing up fora SCARY attraction. It wasn't. It was a lot more psychological thrilling than in-your-face terror. It was alot more like "where is it? When will it pop up?!"
    It was really well done. I don't know why everyone thought it was "too scary."
    Mind you, I'm not a fan of horror movies or being scared. I just didn't think it was too scary.

I also agree that Timekeeper would have been AWESOME. I don't know why they decided against this, since it would have taken a minimum of remodeling to change Circle-Vision into the Timekeeper. But who am I to judge Disney's decisions?

• I'm a Lutheran

If Alien Encounter is ever brought back to the Magic Kingdom or any other Disney theme park, what they need to do is post a sign at the entrance reading "WARNING: THIS ATTRACTION IS NOT SUITABLE FOR YOUNG CHILDREN."

• Banned User

My ideas for Tomorrowland 2055 would be a remake of the Rocket Rods but more like test track at Epcot with the architectual design of Tomorrowland Disneyland Tokyo. Also at Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters could be a more imaginitive version of Mission:Space from Epcot which means it would include aliens. The plot would be that a meteor is about to hit Earth and USA Spaceport. Not NASA do to that it would be a more update version. More like USA Space Station 76 (Like Space Mountain). Alien Encounter could be placed in Pizza Port and then the back of Pizza Port, where Alien Encounter is not, could be Pizza Planet from Toy Story. Plus there would be two security guards at the entrance nt letting anyonem to young to be aloud in. Inbetween Space Mountain and Main St. USA could be a gigantic Atlantean castle for Atlantis: Submarine Tunnels based of the movie, Atlantis: A Lost Empire. You would ride in a submarine from the movie, one of the smaller ones, and you would be riding through the tunnels at a high speed. A newer design of Plectu's Fantastic Intergalactic Reveu called Extra Terrestrial Intergalactic Concert. Including Sonny Eclipse and his NEW band, Luner and Soller Eclipse. Also Jazzistico a loung lizard as well. His character would think he's the best at everything. He could smoke a smokestick. Also one act would include a whole bunch of Disney aliens. Such as LGMs from Toy Story. And Stitch along with the aliens from Chicken Little. For Autotopia they could just add magnets on the bottom of the cars and magnets on top of the of the ground to make them hover a little. The monorail would stay the same as well as Star Tours: The Adventures Continue. Space Mountain could be changed a little, such as aliens could be added to it and expiramental prototypes while you wait in line. (I remember once when there was no Fastpass avalible, so when I walked up it was all empty space in between the chain lane). They should also build a Town Hall in Tomorrowland and they could have an anamatronic Tom Morrow as a tribute to classic Tomorrowland.

---------- Post added 06-27-2011 at 11:58 AM ----------

I forgot to mention that the Rocket Rods would be the Vehicle that can go off the grid. That way there would be a windshield and in the tunnels it goes through it would be the grid then the grid will go away and it would be super dark. The only light that would be there would be the buttons that light up.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I would prefer getting Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek. Even if it doesn't fit the theming of Tomorrowland, it would still be an attraction of high quality. This way DCA can take out their Monsters Inc Dark Ride and put in a non-Pixar dark ride that fits the Hollywood theme (at least we can only hope it would be non-Pixar).

• Banned User

Tomorrowland 2055 ATTRACTIONS:

1. TRON the Ride
    2. Flynn's Arcade
    3. STAR TOURS: The Adventures Continue
    4. SPΛCE MOUNTΛIN
    5. ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter
    6. Monorail
    7. Disneyland R.R.
    8. Autopia
    9. Space Travel Mission: MARS
    10. Astro Orbitron
    11. Extra Terrestrial Intergalactic Concert
    12. Town Hall
    13. Flying Saucer Blast Out!
    14. Disneyland Safege
    Discovery Bay:
    15. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    16. Λtlantis: Submarine Tunnel
    17. Journey to the Centre of the Earth
    18. Time Machine
    19. Aquatopia

Tomorrowland 2055 Disney Dining:
    1. Nautilus Restaurant
    2. Pizza Planet
    3. Vulcania Restaurant

Tomorrowland 2055 Shopping:
    1. Star Traders
    2. SPΛCE Port

Attraction Descriptions:

TRON the Ride:
    Rocket Rods but with a TRON theme.
    Vehicle: Lightcycle.
    Food: None
    Merchandise: None
    Type of Attraction: Same as Autopia
    Entrance: Flynn's Arcade
    Exit: Flynn's Arcade

Flynn's Arcade:
    Replacement of the Starcade
    Vehicle: None
    Type of Attraction: Arcade
    Entrance: Same as Stacade
    Exit: Same as Stacade

Star Tours:The Adventures Continue:
    Same
    Vehicle: Same
    Type of Attraction: Same
    Entrance: Same
    Exit: Same

SPΛCE MOUNTAIN:
    Same
    Entrance: Same
    Exit: Same

ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter:
    Same as Magic Kingdom.
    Type of Attraction: Show
    Entrance: Pizza Port's old Entrance
    Exit:

Monorail:
    Same
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Disneyland R.R.:
    Same
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Autopia:
    Same
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Space Travel Mission: MARS
    A more science-fiction version of Mission: Space. Including UFOs insteasd of astroids.
    Location: Former location of Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters.
    Vehicle: Simulator
    Type of Attraction: Simulation
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Extra Terrestrial Intergalactic Concert:
    A musical show by aliens
    Vehicle: Carousel Theatre
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Town Hall:
    Best of Innoventions.
    Type of Attraction: Exhibit
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Flying Saucers Blast Out!:
    Similar to Astro Blasters where you blast aliens that pop up & can fire back causing you to loose points.
    Vehicle: Flying saucer
    Type of Attraction: Similar to Astro Blasters
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Disneyland Safege:
    A new Skyway system. Transports now have glass around it for safety reasons.
    Location: Next to Monorail station, Fantasyland (Goes thru the Matterhorn) , and Tom Sawyer Island
    Vehicle: Skyway bucket
    Type of Attraction: Same as Skyway
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Astro Orbitron:
    Astro Orbitor with a new name.
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Atlantis: Submarine Tunnel:
    A journey through Antlantis in the speed tunnels. Based of the movie Atlantis: A Lost Empire.
    Location: Discover Bay (Between Space Mountain and Main St. USA).
    Vehicle: Small submarine.
    Type of Attraction: Rollercoaster
    Entrance:
    Exit:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea:
    Featuring live fish! (No chrlorean)
    Location: Discover Bay (Between Space Mountain and Main St. USA.)
    Vehicle: Same as before.
    Type of Attraction: Same as before
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Journey to the Centre of the Earth:
    Same one as in the DisneySea in Tokyo
    Vehicle: Same as DisneySea's
    Type of Attraction: Same as DisneySea's
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Time Machine:
    A big room with a screen on the front wall. Can hold up to 100 people. Last 1 minute.
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Aquatopia:
    Same as DisneySea Tokyo
    Vehicle: Same as DisneySea's
    Type of Attraction: Same as DisneySea's
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Shuttle Dock:
    Scenery. Similar to the discover bay at Discoveryland, Paris. However with a space shuttle instead of a blimp.
    Vehicle:None
    Type of Attraction: Scenery
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Disney Dining Descriptions:

1. Nautilus Restaurant:
    Based off 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Food: Fish
    Type of Attraction: Not one
    Entrance:
    Exit:

2. Pizza Planet:
    Based of the place from Toy Story. Includes three arcade games, "The Claw", "Astro Whacker", & "Buzz vs. Zurg".
    Food: Pizza, chicken, fries, milk shakes, & soft drinks
    Entrance:
    Exit:

3. Vulcania Restaurant:
    Based of Journey to the Centre of the Earth
    Food: Spicy
    Entrance:
    Exit:

Disney Shopping Descriptions:

1. Star Traders:
    Same
    Merchandise: Same
    Entrance:
    Exit:

2. SPΛCE Port:
    UFO crashed thru the wall.
    Merchandise: Basic stuff that fits Tomorrowland
    Entrance:
    Exit:
    Last edited by Sam the Eagle; 07-11-2011 at 02:03 PM.