Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nerd

AP monthly payment plan for Nor Cal?

Could it be? What if...Who cares?
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: AP monthly payment plan for Nor Cal?

-_-

I can't imagine what that would do to the crowds...

• Banned User

It actually wouldn't dramatically affect crowds since now we are talking 3-8 hour drives meaning most would also have to book hotel rooms. If anything, the times that would be affected the most is during the vacation seasons.

It won't do anything to crowds b/c NorCals can't pop into the park. In order for me to do 1-day in the park without paying for a hotel I would have leave Sacto by 3 am and drive. I still couldn't get into the park by 10am. Then I spend all day at the park and would have to drive home.

The only thing offering the monthly plan to NorCal would do is make it so that I could have an AP without dropping a chunck of change. I still wouldn't get to go more than once or twice a year, but at least I'd have the AP benefits.

I say YES PLEASE.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Dreaming of next trip

It might mean a few more AP will be sold, buy my question is what about Nevada and Arizona?

• Banned User

I say GOOD! The more the merrier. I'm a SoCal resident, but I dont get why its only limited to those people? At least give it to ALL Californians! And it probably will just be the Premium and Deluxe, but since those other two passes are so limited unless people have more time to come on the weekdays, its fine.

• Elk Grove Chris

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    It won't do anything to crowds b/c NorCals can't pop into the park. In order for me to do 1-day in the park without paying for a hotel I would have leave Sacto by 3 am and drive. I still couldn't get into the park by 10am. Then I spend all day at the park and would have to drive home.

The only thing offering the monthly plan to NorCal would do is make it so that I could have an AP without dropping a chunck of change. I still wouldn't get to go more than once or twice a year, but at least I'd have the AP benefits.

I say YES PLEASE.
    Yeah, might add a few more AP's, but agree that it would not affect crowds that much, if at all.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• -

If anything, I say get rid of the payment plans all together. That would reduce the amount of people getting passes and cut down on the crowds. If people still feel they need a monthly payment plan, then they can do the old fashioned thing and save up. Just set that amount of money aside each month until it is time to renew. At least this will cut out the people that don't have the ability to manage their money.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    If anything, I say get rid of the payment plans all together. That would reduce the amount of people getting passes and cut down on the crowds. If people still feel they need a monthly payment plan, then they can do the old fashioned thing and save up. Just set that amount of money aside each month until it is time to renew. At least this will cut out the people that don't have the ability to manage their money.
    There is no doubt the payment plan entices or allows people who otherwise could not and would not buy an AP to make that purchase. This results in additional revenue for Disney. That is the bottom line in my opinion. As far as allowing NorCal residents the ability to make monthly payment...Same thing applies - there will be people who in the past would not have bought a AP who now can and WILL...More revenue for Disney. (being a stock holder, I'm okay with more revenue) It's a "profit deal"

Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Banned User

And I think considering WDW also started a monthly program after they saw how sucessful was at DLR kind of proves how popular it is. I never even heard about it until the end of 2009, but now I wonder why they never did it sooner?

It seems to be a win-win for both Disney and the guest. Disney gets more revenue and it gives people a chance to have a pass who probably couldnt normally afford it. They go more often, they end up spending more often as well. The money Disney must mak on the parking alone is probably worth it lol. I DO agree about crowding issues and maybe some of the passes are just TOO cheap, but the montly program is genius to me, espcially competing in a competive market where all the other parks have passes for easily less than $100.

I know this is a 'controversial' issue on boards like this, but in the real world, there is nothing controversial about it. They still have to pay for their passes like everyone else and now Disney has another customer it wouldnt have had before. This is how America works, finance the hell out of everything lol. As long as they can pay it, shouldnt matter.

• -

I am a stockholder as well. The way I see it though is like this: If you reduce the number of annual passholders coming to the park, more single day guests will come since the crowd level will drop. The single day guest is where all the revenue comes from. The price of a ticket alone for a single day guest is higher than what an annual passholder pays for entry into the park. Next add in the merchandise and food sales that most passholders don't usually shell out money for and the revenue being generated will increase, as will the price per share.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

I'm sure that argument has been said dozens of times and belive me if it was that simple, Disney would drop the APs in a heartbeat. They arent doing this out of the goodness of their heart .

The problem is they just outpriced themselves out of the market in a place that has economically hit rock bottom in the last few years. With an unemployment rate I think the 2nd(?) in the country only to Nevada, Disney knows very few people, ALL year, will be willing to pay the one day price more than once or twice a year. And if that happens, that leaves you a very quiet park most of the year. Sure its great for the people who can afford it and have low crowds, but that would then limit hours of the CMs who relies on that job like any other. Reduce park hours most of the year, less food sales, stores needing less cashiers, etc. I know you arent suggesting getting rid of APs completely, just reducing them. I can agree with that. But I think they are mainly worried less traffic means less money, period.

An insider, not on these boards, but who has high access, told me the one day ticket price isnt even a huge factor for Disney. Its important, but its MORE important what they do once they get into the parks. The one day ticket is going the way of the dinosaur when you think about it. Becuase of DCA and people just now use to treating it as a multi day place even if they dont go consectutively is now the paradigm of the resort, all the resorts basically, especially Tokyo. Isnt that why you build 2 parks, to keep people coming as much as possible? No one wants to pay 1 day passes to see both of them separately (or at least until DCA is a more wothy park) and multi day passes are too limiting with just 2 weeks to use them, so APs are the best option IF they want do the park even a few times a year. I just bought another AP just last week, my 3rd one in 30+ years, because I would like go maybe 5-7 times a year and I have good friends who are coming to the park sporadically I like to meet! I couldnt do it if I had to shell out a full one day ticket everytime one of them turns up. And nothing else in their ticketing options gives me the flexibility and economy like the AP does and without it, I wouldnt go but maybe once or twice tops.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 06-09-2011 at 09:10 PM.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I am a stockholder as well. The way I see it though is like this: If you reduce the number of annual passholders coming to the park, more single day guests will come since the crowd level will drop. The single day guest is where all the revenue comes from. The price of a ticket alone for a single day guest is higher than what an annual passholder pays for entry into the park. Next add in the merchandise and food sales that most passholders don't usually shell out money for and the revenue being generated will increase, as will the price per share.
    How do you know if there are more or less single day guests based on passholder numbers? How can you confirm that a single day ticket guest is more profitable than a passholder?
    This I can tell you - Disney knows the numbers backwards and forwards, If they thought they could make more money selling less AP's then they would...They sell bucket loads of single day tickets everyday anyway, and I've never heard a person who doesn't have a pass say, "nah, I won't go to Disneyland because it's over run with annual passholders" Best of both worlds for Disney in my opinion.

• Disney Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by mouseknotts View Post
    It might mean a few more AP will be sold, buy my question is what about Nevada and Arizona?
    here here! WHAT ABOUT AZ! lol i'm only a 6 hour car drive away! I want an AP but I cant drop a chunk of change on it! not all in one lump sum...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    How do you know if there are more or less single day guests based on passholder numbers? How can you confirm that a single day ticket guest is more profitable than a passholder?
    This I can tell you - Disney knows the numbers backwards and forwards, If they thought they could make more money selling less AP's then they would...They sell bucket loads of single day tickets everyday anyway, and I've never heard a person who doesn't have a pass say, "nah, I won't go to Disneyland because it's over run with annual passholders" Best of both worlds for Disney in my opinion.
    Exactly! I think this idea that because of more passholders is suddenly running out the out-of-towners is a little absurd. As far as I know, the hotels are still sold to capacity in the busier seasons. Tourists still show up like they ALWAYS shown up. There isnt one iota of proof any drop drops in out of town attendance has to do with anything else other than being in a crappy ecomony, which is what the Aps are making up for.

Again, I GET IT, people feel the parks are now too crowded a lot more than before and thats a VALID concern...the problem is it doesnt seem to be one for Disney. And sure there are ways to combat that, but I dont think A. they really want to combat it and B. there hasnt been any proof more crowds has equaled less tourist sales because of it, none!

And I think they are trying harder to make the people who stay at the hotels get more advantages anyway. Besides early morning visits that APs cant do, they are giving out more FPs to them, now a chance to ride TLM before the park officially opens, etc. Stuff like that goes a long ways. I loved the fact that I was done with ST at 7 a.m. and TLM at 9:30 a.m. last weekend!

Again, I hear antedote stories on people on boards like this say they stopped going, and thats really a shame they felt that way and I hope in the future things get better to change their mind. But, to me, thats probably a good thing because there is a HUGE world, litterally outside of Disney to see. I know this first hand. Still I would hate to have NO Disney either. But I havent heard any actual numbers citing people are avoiding the parks anymore than before. I think people exaggerate the AP issues here than whats the reality.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 06-09-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast