View Poll Results: Is the makeover putting lipstick on a pig?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it is! Its not solving anything.

16 11.51%
  • No it isnt! They are making things right.

123 88.49%
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Angry New DCA: Putting lipstick on a pig???

When Disney's California Adventure opened in 2001, it was criticized for off the shelf attractions and lack of proper Disney theming. In 2008 Disney anounced a complete makeover of the fledgling park including the removal of SOME of the off the shelf rides and the addition of characters into other rides. My point is take Mulholland Madness, put Goofy on it and its good?, no its still a common attraction found at other amusement parks. The Fun Wheel, plaster Mickey on it and its still a Ferris Wheel. Just because you plaster Mickey on everything doesnt make it good. Dont get me wrong I love Disney and all they've done but this is just putting lipstick on a pig.
    WALTER ELIAS DISNEY COMMUNITY OF TOMORROW- WEDCOT

• Banned User

Re: New DCA: Putting lipstick on a pig???

Some are and some aren't.

What isn't lipstick on a pig:
    -Carsland
    -New Dining Area
    -Little Mermaid
    -Toy Story Midway Mania
    -New Entrance

What is:
    -Corndog Castle
    -Seaside Souveniers
    -Silly Symphony Swings
    -Mickey's Fun Wheel
    -Goofy's Sky School

Of course it's all subjective

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post

-Carsland
    -New Dining Area
    -Little Mermaid
    -Toy Story Midway Mania
    -New Entrance

What is:
    -Corndog Castle
    -Seaside Souveniers
    -Silly Symphony Swings
    -Mickey's Fun Wheel
    -Goofy's Sky School

But does Cars Land have the appeal to last is my point there putting characters on everything, I get what your saying but still.
    WALTER ELIAS DISNEY COMMUNITY OF TOMORROW- WEDCOT

• formerly very helpful

I wouldn't go so far as to say "lipstick on a pig," but I do agree that many of the changes are just window dressing on off-the-shelf rides.
    However, as they have simply "fixed up" attractions like Fun Wheel, Mulhuland Madness, and the swing thing, they also have built Little Mermaid, Midway Mania, put in new theming in Paradise Pier, are putting in new front gates and entry street with streetcars. I also have been led to believe that Goofy's Sky School is "temporary" and a more advanced ride will be put in.
    So there is real change there, and not just window dressing.

• I'm not really here

It's awfully hard to make such bold statements about something that is nowhere near finished. And no, 2012 is not the finish, merely the end of the first round of major work. There will be a few years off while things settle in a bit. There will probably be several smaller area projects during this time before they do more major work again for a couple years. They seem to be setting up an alternating construction schedule with Disneyland where they alternate which park is getting major work done at any one time.

Current management seems far more interested in long term development of the resort rather than short term gains. This means that work at DCA has to be viewed in terms of decades, not years. Much of the work that was done to Paradise Pier has been to update the facades, to create a more unified theme and look of the area. They had a limited and fixed budget to work with and the goal for Phase I of construction is to get people into DCA, not to appease hard core fans of themeing. Themeing does not bring people into the park. Attractions do. So they are focusing the bulk of the budget on TLM, Carsland and BVS. BVS to create a first impression that will stick with people. They have to get people into the park and staying there. BVS is the bait, the enticement, and the rides and shows keep people there. Once they are done with that goal, they can come back and start to detail areas and fix specific issues. For now, they are trying to unify the look more than anything else. That's what SSS was about, changing the look, not the actual ride. Same with MM => GSS. DCA is now being viewed as a park that can be plussed over the years and grown as Disneyland has. Go back and look at the early days of Disneyland. It is not much like what it is now. It has grown, evolved and changed over the years. Some of the things that happened early on would not fly with today's fans. They still use off the shelf ride systems at Disneyland. So that argument is moot right out of the gate.

Plastering Mickey on the Fun Wheel is not about making it a brand new attraction. It's about bringing it more in line with the area around it and giving it a stronger tie to Disney. It's not about making it a "Disney" attraction. MM was a disjointed mess and uglier than the ugliest duckling. GSS gives it a theme based in a Disney short, brings a character to a characterless attraction (even Indy is a character attraction). These sorts of changes will make it feel more like a Disney park while using far less of the budget than a complete re-imagineering of new attractions would. This allows them to focus their budget on what will bring in the most guests, the big ticket items. We know that GSS is eyed as a prime location for future development of a new attraction. This is something to get it by while they come up with an idea that fits the area better. Phase I is not the be all end all of DCA work, it's just the start. DCA is a work in progress and a number of things they have done are temporary, or will change in the future. You can be as cynical about that as you choose, but they know the problems and issues with the park. They proposed many many ideas that we saw in concept art that didn't make it to the final project stage... expect to see those sorts of things crop up as their own little projects in the years to come.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post

-Carsland
    -New Dining Area
    -Little Mermaid
    -Toy Story Midway Mania
    -New Entrance

What is:
    -Corndog Castle
    -Seaside Souveniers
    -Silly Symphony Swings
    -Mickey's Fun Wheel
    -Goofy's Sky School

Well said.

Case closed.
    Last edited by pratt55; 06-10-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Please the the FAQ, if you have any questions use the contact us button. Thank you.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Even though some of these attractions are so-called "lipstick on a pig". It is drawing in more numbers now.

I'm going to completely disagree with your lipstick on a pig theory. The window dressings, new entrance, and whatnot are all to make it look nicer. The new attractions are there to make it a more immersive and attraction filled park. A more appropriate title would be "putting lipstick on a pig, and also changing the pig into a more attractive animal".

And Corndog Castle was barely changed so no lipstick there, and Seaside Souvenirs was barely changed so no lipstick there.

It's very easy to be completely cynical when you only focus your attention on a kiddie coaster and the Ferris wheel...the least interesting, least time consuming and least money using aspects of the renovation.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Even though some of these attractions are so-called "lipstick on a pig". It is drawing in more numbers now.
    Lipstick on the pig is generally the little things (which arguably are the Disney difference, but again that's subjective). But there is no lipstick on the glorious big new headliners. Just the small atmospheric additions

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

But with all this sizzle being added, maybe the lipstick on a pig can become Mu Shoo Pork!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Toy Story, Carsland, WOC and Mermaid will all be new and be new favorites of the park now I get what you mean about all the rides on the Pier BUT really what dud you want them to do take them out and replace them with??? There are some places where there is some room but Gooy's Sky School will fit a C ticket ride...maybe D if it goes under ground

At the same time Goofy's Sky School LOOKS GREAT in person and yeah its not the best ride but look wise its a Disney ride and for the next ten years I can live with it, cause to be honest its got the best environment/Q for any other C ticket ride in the park

• Nutty about Disney parks

Paradise Pier has been and will always be the problem child of this park. It's too generic and bland a land that even in the retheming it does nothing to provide any real escapism or immersion. You could design all the buildings in this area to 1920s California but is anyone gonna really notice and say "wow. This takes me back to the 1920s"?

But let's look at it this way: the lipstick will still look better than what was on there before it. And it allows TSMM and TLM to fit into the land a little more as a result of the 1920s retheme.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    At the same time Goofy's Sky School LOOKS GREAT in person and yeah its not the best ride but look wise its a Disney ride and for the next ten years I can live with it, cause to be honest its got the best environment/Q for any other C ticket ride in the park
    I would hardly call an exposed, open air coaster, with minimal 2D cut out theming "Great".

Well GSS is temporary and this will be brought up again and again. Had they torn it down and left it bare until they decide then people would complain about that. Looking at the recent updates, at least they went and added a little details to the queue with some Goofy memorobilia. Lastly, there's always a complaint about MFW, what would you put in it's place? There's not a whole lot of room.

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast