• Former Epcot CM

Matterhorn refurb

Devastated that for my first ever, and only for maybe another five years, trip to Disneyland, the Matterhorn will be closed for refurb.

Be honest - tell me how much I'm missing out on. I'm so upset, it's an iconic Disneyland ride which exists at no other park. People of MiceChat, reassure me!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• I'm not really here

Re: Matterhorn refurb

It is a good ride indeed. Can be a bit rough, but it is unique as you say. It is a shame that it will be down while you're at the park. But look at it this way, something brand new to look forward too on your next trip, may it be sooner rather than later.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I almost never go on the Matterhorn if that makes you feel better.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    It is a good ride indeed. Can be a bit rough, but it is unique as you say. It is a shame that it will be down while you're at the park. But look at it this way, something brand new to look forward too on your next trip, may it be sooner rather than later.
    Very true, and I have Ariel and C-3PO to keep me company.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Resident of the Caldera

The Matterhorn, as the very first coaster with a tubular steel track, is a bumpy and jerky ride. If it wasn't in Disneyland, and you didn't see photos of Walt Disney proudly riding it, no one would think much of it.

However, because it is an iconic ride that came directly from Walt, and because Walt rode on the same track you will ride, and because it is such a part of the Disneyland experience (particularly if you've had the right person sit in your lap!), and because it was the world's first tubular track roller coaster which could have multiple cars operating on the track simultaneously, it's something whose emotional value is greater than the ride experience itself.

It's closed on a very strange on-and-off rehab schedule this summer, then for a long rehab, and it's possible they might finally be putting the new ride vehicles in place. Then you'll never feel the soft behind of the person in your lap against you, which is a damn shame.

• I can't stand you.

It gives me a headache when I ride I mean its fun but theres always space mountain and Im sure the matterhorn will be there still in five years.

• I'm from Canada eh!

I'm sorry to say that is is one of my Favorites...BUT I don't go everytime I'm there as the line up is too long. THere will be plenty to keep you busy during your stay.

• Banned User

Your spine will thank you at least :-p

To be honest, I'd be sad if I were you too. I love the Matterhorn and have great memories from this attraction.

I feel like there will always be slight bummers during trips (e.g., I missed TLM soft openings by just a week, Splash Mt. didn't re-open until a week after my visit, RDCT was canceled my second night, WoC shut down during my viewing in May, etc.)

However, I'm a glass half full girl when it comes to Disney. Just think: a less than perfect day at Disney is likely better than most days in the real world. Even if you frown for 5 seconds as you wander past the Matterhorn, you eventually catch a view of Sleeping Beauty's Castle and go "hey, I'm in the Happiest Place on Earth!"

I hope you have a fantastic visit!!

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoom View Post
    To be honest, I'd be sad if I were you too. I love the Matterhorn and have great memories from this attraction.

I feel like there will always be slight bummers during trips (e.g., I missed TLM soft openings by just a week, Splash Mt. didn't re-open until a week after my visit, RDCT was canceled my second night, WoC shut down during my viewing in May, etc.)

However, I'm a glass half full girl when it comes to Disney. Just think: a less than perfect day at Disney is likely better than most days in the real world. Even if you frown for 5 seconds as you wander past the Matterhorn, you eventually catch a view of Sleeping Beauty's Castle and go "hey, I'm in the Happiest Place on Earth!"

I hope you have a fantastic visit!!
    well said! Although, my trip last week made me realize just how much I love BTMR when I wasn't able to ride it!!

• Down Pluto!

Love it. Ride it many times per visit. It is iconic and one of a kind IMHO.
    Would I be devastated if I go and it is closed for refurb? - No. It just means it will be better next time I visit.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

Aw man, I will say that I feel sorry for you in that you won't be able to decide for yourself. Some people, myself included, love this ride. While not great, it does hold a special place in my heart. But some people hate this ride. Hahaha. They could care less if it were to close permanently tomorrow.

But I will say, that for most people that I have taken to Disneyland and it was their first time, they look at it and say "Oh, that looks like fun." Then they get off the ride and say "Eh... it's alright." So, don't feel too bad.