Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Insomniac

Lightbulb California Showcase at DCA

Recently when we found out that the Tortilla Factory would be closing many people had complaints about how that was the last Latin-American styled attraction left in the park. Others have also mentioned they would like a China Town area. This got me thinking, why not have a land devoted to the many ethnic/ racial groups that have influenced California? This of course sounds a lot like what they have at World Showcase in EPCOT. So to show what the Land, which would be located in place of the huge parking lot behind TOT and would be entered through either the back of a Bugs Land or Cars Land. It would look like it does in the Photoshoped image below.

Name:  World Showcase.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  124.9 KB

The bottom right would be a building similar to the America World Showcase but would house animatronic figures who helped to shape California into what it is today. It could also be home to an attraction like Hall of the Presidents but instead be the Hall of the Governors and house figures for all the Governors that have shaped California. Across from this attraction, on the water side of the road, would be the main restaurant of the area it would be divided into 5 areas, European influenced food, Latino influenced foods, Native American foods, Chinese influenced foods, and Japanese influenced foods. Each area of the restaurant would have a different theme depending on the food served in that area (think a super high classed food court).

The building on the top right would be home to a Latin-American attraction similar to the Mexico pavilion at EPCOT but with an exterior similar to a classic latin American home of early California. Across the way on the water side would be home to a small Hispanic eatery that gave tours similar to the Tortilla factory but instead they would show how early Californian Hispanic settlers prepared tortillas, chiles, ect.

The second building on down on the right would be home to the Japanese showcase building. It would be a Circle-vision film (similar to Canada World Showcase). The film would show the many ways that Japanese-Americans have shaped California and it would also explain the many ways that Japanese immigrants were mistreated during WWII with a segment devoted to the Tule Lake Internment Camp with interviews with those that were held at that and many other Internment camps across the US and Canada.

The third building down would house the Chinese showcase. The building would be similarly themed to the Chinese World Showcase area in EPCOT but would have a dark ride attraction (Casey Junior style trains but more realistic and less cartoony/ circusy) that depicted the many ways that Chinese immigrants were treated poorly in early Californian history and how without the labor of so many Chinese immigrants the Trans-conntinental railroad would have never been complete. There would also be an in-door eatery/ shop fashioned after China Town.

The bottom left building would be the Native American area. This would house a walk through attraction that shows the brutal ways in which Native Americans were treated by early settlers (Think intricate museum with Animatronic figures). It would also show how Native American culture has become a huge park of California and would have exhibits detailing how early tribes would survive during the days just before European settlers arrived. This area would be themed much like the indian village in Disneyland was with Native-American dancers performing hourly.
    The building to the right of this building surrounded by trees would be a Native American themed play area with Native American arts and crafts to try out (ex: basket making, pottery, ect. Think Boy Scout Camp or something similar to the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii).

The building on the far left could be a simple shop or eatery or a tribute to other races/ Ethnicities that have influenced California.

The lake in the middle could have ships similar to the Colombia (much smaller) but with a Japanese or Chinese style overlay. It would serve the same purpose that the People-mover served in Tommorowland by taking you around a tour of the area.

Anyways this area would be like a very compact version of EPCOT's World Showcase and would help to give more real world identity to the park and would enhance the offerings of the park greatly.

Just wondering if anyone else likes this idea...

(The images are screenshots of Google Earth).
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• -

Re: California Showcase at DCA

They kind of had something that showcased the ethnic history of CA in Golden Dreams.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I like the idea but placing in that area seems odd to me. It's just kinda behind everything.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I think it's a good idea. There isn't a whole lot space left to deal with in DCA but if they could find a way to make it work, I would be game. There was a thread a while back about why Zorro isn't in the parks, well Zorro is trademarked at Universal so that's why he isn't here but we all got to thinking about why there isn't a Spanish themed section of the park. I think this idea would be a good way to incorporate not only that, but other great groups that helped California become what it is today as well.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Good idea, except that I think the Native American history should focus more on Native American Californian tribes such as the local Gabrieleno Indians and Juaneno Indians that inhabited the local Anaheim area.

• We Go On.

Nice idea, but I'd rather it take the place of a Bug's Land. I think the expansion area should be saved for the expansion of an existing land. It's a very awkward place to build a new one.

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Nice idea, but I'd rather it take the place of a Bug's Land. I think the expansion area should be saved for the expansion of an existing land. It's a very awkward place to build a new one.
    I thought about that and actually started by trying to fit something into a Bug's Land but it just isn't big enough for all the ideas I wanted to incorporate. I agree that the location would not be ideal but its the only place they have room for it. I just know that EPCOT is my favorite Disney park I've been to based on the theming, Disneyland is my favorite just because of the memories i have there but EPCOT is just so amazing!

I had a concept that included a replacement for a Bugs Land with an E-ticket that would be an expansion of Hollywoodland but because of how small a space it currently is with the Parade stuff needing to pass through there I couldn't make it fit unless the pathways that run around it were taken out. Personally I would much rather have an EPCOT than Cars land/ A Bugs Land although I am super stoked for RSR. I am not a fan of entire lands being themed to one movie.

• Banned User

Adding this would make it exactly like MTV (Musical Television):

"Over here we have orange glowing guidos and guidettes who like to pump fists
    And right here are terrible 'reality' shows that dumb you down second by second
    Right there is our hopelessly bad and terribly raunch 'comedies'
    This is a movie award show that has more commerical time than run time
    Oh and this little obscure section that only runs from 2-4 in the morning that no one ever visits, yeah this is when we actually do stuff about music."

I think this would be a good fit for dca. I like how this is more real than a significant amount if the park is today in terms of subject matter and I agree that that is how thee next bit of should be handled. However worlds showcase works because each country is big enough to immerse the visitor in that country and in that place and time that was chosen to represent the country. This idea lacks the space for each area to truly immerse visitors in a specific idea, standing in the land would feel more like a worlds fair, it's not a realistic sense of place.

Also remember that theme parks are places to have fun, I know epcot was supposed to edutain people, but there is still an element of fun to be had, depicting the suffering of immigrants in california, while being captivating and integral to the story of California, would be better suited to a museum than a theme park. New Orleans Square conveniently forgets all about slavery, and frontierland doesn't have a Trail of Tears roller coaster! What I'm trying to say is that theme parks may not be the best medium in which to depict the subject matter, it wouldn't be the most uplifting experience for visitors, and some may feel it cheapens the history.

Very interesting idea though
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Adding this would make it exactly like MTV (Musical Television):

"Over here we have orange glowing guidos and guidettes who like to pump fists
    And right here are terrible 'reality' shows that dumb you down second by second
    Right there is our hopelessly bad and terribly raunch 'comedies'
    This is a movie award show that has more commerical time than run time
    Oh and this little obscure section that only runs from 2-4 in the morning that no one ever visits, yeah this is when we actually do stuff about music."
    So you are saying that EPCOT, a Park loved by millions, is pretty much an awful idea?

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    I think this would be a good fit for dca. I like how this is more real than a significant amount if the park is today in terms of subject matter and I agree that that is how thee next bit of should be handled. However worlds showcase works because each country is big enough to immerse the visitor in that country and in that place and time that was chosen to represent the country. This idea lacks the space for each area to truly immerse visitors in a specific idea, standing in the land would feel more like a worlds fair, it's not a realistic sense of place.

Also remember that theme parks are places to have fun, I know epcot was supposed to edutain people, but there is still an element of fun to be had, depicting the suffering of immigrants in california, while being captivating and integral to the story of California, would be better suited to a museum than a theme park. New Orleans Square conveniently forgets all about slavery, and frontierland doesn't have a Trail of Tears roller coaster! What I'm trying to say is that theme parks may not be the best medium in which to depict the subject matter, it wouldn't be the most uplifting experience for visitors, and some may feel it cheapens the history.

Very interesting idea though
    Those were just the things that come to my head when I think about how those ethnic/ racial groups impacted California. I was kinda thinking that as I was writing it but I couldn't think of anything better to put so I just put that as the idea. I agree with the space issue. I originally thought of having a land composed of 3 ethnic areas Latin-American, Asian American, and Native American but it just felt like Asian American was too generalized and it needed a good solid attraction to unify the area. Its not perfect those were just the ideas for attractions that popped into my head. The point is the idea of a World Showcase type land going into California Adventure.

BTW I love your idea for The Grand Cinema Journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Those were just the things that come to my head when I think about how those ethnic/ racial groups impacted California. I was kinda thinking that as I was writing it but I couldn't think of anything better to put so I just put that as the idea. I agree with the space issue. I originally thought of having a land composed of 3 ethnic areas Latin-American, Asian American, and Native American but it just felt like Asian American was too generalized and it needed a good solid attraction to unify the area. Its not perfect those were just the ideas for attractions that popped into my head. The point is the idea of a World Showcase type land going into California Adventure.

BTW I love your idea for The Grand Cinema Journey.

Yeah, I think that the Latin and Asian Americans really need some more recognition. Native Americans, could get some representation in Grizzly Peak I think. Then in the long run, I think that Chinatown should be made for where this showcase was made, and a Mission plaza style land should replace Bugsland. That way, all the groups get their dues, without a specific land focused on them being built.

PS Thanks! After I posted that I got to making some revisions of the idea, but later died out. I think I'll pull those out again
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    So you are saying that EPCOT, a Park loved by millions, is pretty much an awful idea?
    No. Not at all. I'm saying that California Showcase is what DCA as a park should be. So having a land about it would be like "This is the section of the park we actually did right"

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    No. Not at all. I'm saying that California Showcase is what DCA as a park should be. So having a land about it would be like "This is the section of the park we actually did right"
    OHHHH! Now I get what you were saying! Ok I agree in that case. I always thought that DCA should have been a EPCOT style park.

I would have liked the world showcase half. I really don't think epcot is a cohesive idea for a park.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast