Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Has the 'Partners' statue been confirmed for California Adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Not trying to get too far off-topic, but I disagree. You make a very valid point in the difference between surface-level and deeper-level theming, but in my opinion Buena Vista Street has both. To appreciate BVS won't, I suspect, require an in depth knowledge of all the names and historical figures from Walt's lifetime, because the land will communicate just fine without them. All the concept art I've seen speaks very, very clearly of a 1920s/1930s Los Angeles, which is something many Americans will recognize whether they know about Walt Disney or not... just as those same Americans could probably identify Main Street USA as a turn of the century American town. As an aspiring urban designer who has studied the problems LA has developed over the past 50-60 years, I can honestly say that walking down that street of clanging street cars and pristine art deco architecture will be a dream come true, even if I leave Walt's life out of the equation. Of course, those who are familiar with his personal history will get a kick out of the shop names and historical references, just as they probably get a kick out of the windows on Main Street. But that, as you said, provides an added layer of depth that simply expands the meaning of the theme, and there's nothing wrong with that.

So with that said, I'm very much looking forward to the statue.
    Right now I do think the art looks nice as well, but I still doubt the intention of truly creating the experience of Los Angeles in the 1920s. The new statue, names and supposed experience all speak to that concept being secondary and ultimately in need of the overt references to Disney history.

While for some the windows of Main Street, USA have become a prominent part of the experience, they were not deliberately designed to be as such, whereas that appears to be the case with Buena Vista Street. The use of names was once a secret, intended to help populate the space while also giving credit to those involved. The names being associated with Buena Vista Street have no overriding connection to its design or the history of Los Angeles.

I also think the "nods" to Disney history have become excessive in recent years. When it opened a lot of Disney's California Adventure was intended to appeal to those who typically dislike theme parks and the notion of being an "outsider" and a little "anti-Disney" was acceptable within Disney. Not resonating with guests, and not looking good for the brand, being vaguely public about such views is no longer in fashion and all of these "nods" come across to me as heavy handed attempts by those involved to show that they too are Disney fans. So much of the remodeling seems to be to be a reaction to the park's initial strays from the "Disney way" but it has been guided by people who ultimately see Parks and Resorts as an extension of marketing and not one of their powerful storytelling mediums.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Mark Twain, that perfectly sumamrizes my opinion and feelings on it perfectly. I believe BVS, as far as concept art shows, perfectly brings to life that early Los Angeles. I cannot wait to talk down and hearing the clanging streetcar either...like a dream come true. My concentration for my major is in CA History and I just love all that stuff. BVS is in the same vein as Main Street IMO. Buildings and atmosphere perfectly represent that 20's LA (where Main Street is turn of century small town America) with names and stuff as tribute to Disney (in Main Street, names of places and the windows serve as tributes).

Lazyboy, how are names like Atwater Art Supplies, Los Feliz Five and Dime, and Elysian Arcade not relevant to 1920's LA? They are extremely related to the enviornment and creating that sense of place. The rest are fun tributes to Disney. The statue in BVS will be just as relevant as the one on Main Street.

• Banned User

I'll leave it at this. My point is this that this land can play successfully on both levels and indeed have it both ways, depending on the guests experiencing it. It can reference the others parks, which it only barely does, and still survive on its own, which its currently doing. I feel the originality of telling Walt's story in one land has more than enough merit to do so, and that its references (which are artistically justified) only go to strengthen it. It's not like Hollywood is gonna change its mural to the castle, or like Carsland adding a mountain shaped like Big Thunder. It's one statue which beautifully and elegantly begins the story of the parks (which are not just Disneyland). Is it a reference, but it fits perfectly into the world they're already creating, and is hardly reliant on or weakened by the association with other parks.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Lazyboy, how are names like Atwater Art Supplies, Los Feliz Five and Dime, and Elysian Arcade not relevant to 1920's LA? They are extremely related to the enviornment and creating that sense of place. The rest are fun tributes to Disney. The statue in BVS will be just as relevant as the one on Main Street.
    I never made said anything about the Disney history names being the sole element present. I believe the Disney history angle to be the emphasis, but I did not say it was the only dimension.

Partners had a functional purpose to prevent unrelated temporary displays from being established in the hub. It was intended to be as neutral as possible will still being "sacred" and it was not about recasting the role of Main Street, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    It's one statue which beautifully and elegantly begins the story of the parks (which are not just Disneyland). Is it a reference, but it fits perfectly into the world they're already creating, and is hardly reliant on or weakened by the association with other parks.
    The statue speaks to only one aspect, Disney history, and does rely on the other parks. You just keep contradicting yourself by saying it symbolizes the beginning while not being reliant on what it begins. The entire meaning of the statue is derived from Disney history that is not connected to Disney's California Adventure.

• Banned User

What you're failing to comprehend ( and So Cal Fan and Mark Twain are basically saying this) is that Disney history and Walt's story are intertwined. One will lead to the other. The statue is absolutely connected to DCA. How can you even say such a statement? The story of BVS in the park is based on Walt's life in California. That life happens to include the other parks, but it's the beginning of so much more. It's a direct tie to DCA, which is a park that celebrates California, and (as I've said countless times now) also connects the two parks. It does both.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I love how negative some Disney Fans are about a new Statue....its a tribute to Walt, the reason for the parks. I bet you hate how they say "Walt Disney Presents" in front of WOC that was a cheap cop out too, huh?

I love how negative some Disney Fans are about a new Statue....its a tribute to Walt, the reason for the parks. I bet you hate how they say "Walt Disney Presents" in front of WOC that was a cheap cop out too, huh?
    +1

Thank you.

Ha, thank you for breathing life into my artistic vision lol
    It was my pleasure. haha

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Abolutely! Thanks for saying that!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Shiver Me Knee Caps

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Putting it in as a direct contrast to the other, and making a statement that this is where he began as opposed to what he completed is hardly "just for the sake of it".
    I think the only reason why they are putting another statue of Walt (didn't he say at some point in his life he didn't want any "tributes" to himself in the park??) in California Adventure is to somehow compare or tie that park to Walt's original park across the esplanade. It's unnecessary and weak. I prefer they stop turning DCA into a memorial to Walt and just work on strengthening or transforming the overall theme of the park and it's lands altogether

• The kid in the back room.

Was this in the concept art or something? I didn't know about this at all. Pics? Vids? Anyone wanna help me out?
    Off to the Academy of Dramatic Arts in 2013!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Met Demi Lovato at DCA on 9/24/2010! <3
    ------------------------------------------------------

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick O Dell View Post
    I think the only reason why they are putting another statue of Walt (didn't he say at some point in his life he didn't want any "tributes" to himself in the park??) in California Adventure is to somehow compare or tie that park to Walt's original park across the esplanade. It's unnecessary and weak. I prefer they stop turning DCA into a memorial to Walt and just work on strengthening or transforming the overall theme of the park and it's lands altogether
    One area about the man who made it, is not turning the whole park into anything. That's a ridiculous exaggeration. And seeing as how he began in California, it ties perfectly into the theme.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by gameplayer951 View Post
    Was this in the concept art or something? I didn't know about this at all. Pics? Vids? Anyone wanna help me out?
    On the first page, I posted a link that goes to a site with both concept art of the statue and the blueprints for BVS that show the base for it.

• Banned User

I for the life of me can't figure out what anyone wants anymore. People hate that the company has moved away from Walt's original vision, then complain when they pay tribute to him.

• Minion

Cant wait IMO i like the artist drawing of the new statue a little bit more not a lot but just a little bit more then the One in the hub

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast