Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Has the 'Partners' statue been confirmed for California Adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    What you're failing to comprehend ( and So Cal Fan and Mark Twain are basically saying this) is that Disney history and Walt's story are intertwined. One will lead to the other. The statue is absolutely connected to DCA. How can you even say such a statement? The story of BVS in the park is based on Walt's life in California. That life happens to include the other parks, but it's the beginning of so much more. It's a direct tie to DCA, which is a park that celebrates California, and (as I've said countless times now) also connects the two parks. It does both.
    And I think the forcing of "Disney's story" onto the Los Angeles of yesteryear is a showing of Disney's lack of faith in the ability of themed entertainment to convey an original idea (Los Angeles of yesteryear). The current push, as publicly stated by Iger himself, as been about brands and franchises, and the brand being layered onto Buena Vista Street is not a sincere and accurate portrayal of Walt Disney's early years in California, but the Myth of Walt Disney. It is made all the worse because it would not be taboo to be inside the company and internally say that the new land's emphasis on Disney history will please the "Walties" and "foamers". If Disney was so serious about celebrating Walt Disney they would continue his traditions and do what they can to help Diane with The Walt Disney Family Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I love how negative some Disney Fans are about a new Statue....its a tribute to Walt, the reason for the parks. I bet you hate how they say "Walt Disney Presents" in front of WOC that was a cheap cop out too, huh?
    "Walt Disney Presents" is not a tribute based in a larger mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick O Dell View Post
    I think the only reason why they are putting another statue of Walt (didn't he say at some point in his life he didn't want any "tributes" to himself in the park??) in California Adventure is to somehow compare or tie that park to Walt's original park across the esplanade. It's unnecessary and weak. I prefer they stop turning DCA into a memorial to Walt and just work on strengthening or transforming the overall theme of the park and it's lands altogether
    Correct on Walt not wanting things like statues to him. Like I said before, Partners had a functional purpose to prevent the hub from being overtaken by temporary promotional items. The statue was installed in Disneyland in 1993. The subject of Walt Disney was chosen because it is sort of "sacred," not the sort of thing that would be covered with temporary decorations (except at Tokyo Disneyland).

One area about the man who made it, is not turning the whole park into anything. That's a ridiculous exaggeration. And seeing as how he began in California, it ties perfectly into the theme.
    Walt Disney got his start in animation and began working with Ub Iwerks in Kansas City, MO. What really made Southern California different (financially successful) for Walt Disney was Roy, who was being treated at an area VA hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    I for the life of me can't figure out what anyone wants anymore. People hate that the company has moved away from Walt's original vision, then complain when they pay tribute to him.
    The best way to pay tribute would be to continue on with his vision, not platitudes.

• Banned User

Again, you're free to not like the idea, but none of these reasons hold water. If you're so unhappy with the company and how's it being run, why are you on a site like this? If you really believe there's no artistry and sincerity in what they're doing, that's just sad. Either way, it still doesn't weaken the theme, when the theme is Disney California. And it doesn't rely on the other park, when it represents the story of the land it's in. You say they can't rely on yesteryear, but you defend Main St, which is the epitome of that very idea. It's hardly forced. If anything I wonder what took them so long to think of such a great idea for the park's entrance. Noleafclover has it exactly right. People will complain about everything. Calling this a platitude is absolutely mind boggling.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If you're so unhappy with the company and how's it being run, why are you on a site like this?
    It is not an all or nothing issue.

Either way, it still doesn't weaken the theme, when the theme is Disney California.
    Again, I think the theme of Disney California is weak. A reaction to the rejection of the original tone of the park that decided to infuse Disney through established brands and franchises instead of reasserting the creative legacy that established Disney and Disneyland as brands in their own rights. I think California still has potential.

And it doesn't rely on the other park, when it represents the story of the land it's in.
    The statue is nonsense anachronism without Partners. Why would some midwestern farm boy have a statue in the town in which he just arrived? Why is he not with the character that he actually brought with him?

You say they can't rely on yesteryear, but you defend Main St, which is the epitome of that very idea.
    Again, I think that Disney thinks that Yesteryear is unreliable as the sole source of inspiration for Buena Vista Street, resulting in the significant infusion of Disney history in the land.

Noleafclover has it exactly right. People will complain about everything. Calling this a platitude is absolutely mind boggling.
    People? Who are these people? I seem to be the sole dissenting voice in this thread. Calling these moves platitudes is not "mind boggling" when you examine the history of the company and even the short history of the park. Walt has become a sort of demigod and invoking his name and presence, in public but often the opposite in the company, is a means of deflecting criticism. You are doing just what Disney wants, a reaction against criticism because these ideas include tributes to Walt. Disney is doing everything they can to avoid more criticism and invoking Walt is a means to that end.

• Sock Puppet

I think that Disney wants DCA to be a huge tribute to Disney history. They got classic cartoons and BVS. And it did get started in LA. Walt thought of Mickey on his way from NY to LA, and Walt said that it was all started by a mouse. I think I speak for all of us when I say that we have been waiting for a tribute to Disney History for a while now so this is very welcome in my book!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 999happyhants View Post
    I think that Disney wants DCA to be a huge tribute to Disney history. They got classic cartoons and BVS. And it did get started in LA.
    The company was founded in Southern california, but work on what would spawn the Alice Comedies began in Kansas City.

Walt thought of Mickey on his way from NY to LA, and Walt said that it was all started by a mouse.
    Walt Disney was great at telling stories and when talking about himself was no exception. The situation regarding Oswald was not sprung on Walt while he was in New York, the trip was a last effort to stay involved. Walt, Roy, Ub, Lilian and Edna began work on what become Plane Crazy before Walt left for New York. The company was founded in 1923, years before the premier of Steamboat Willie on 18 November 1928 in New York City.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we have been waiting for a tribute to Disney History for a while now so this is very welcome in my book!
    Speak for all of who?

• Disneyland Man

Buena Vista Street art

I am very excited about the BVS upgrade. A real streetscape will work nicely as well proven across the esplanade. Personally, I don't see the need for another statue of Walt Disney, or the logic of there being one if this is to represent his pre-fame days in California. (whereas the orginal "Partners" statue standing in the center of Disneyland is pure perfection, it was his big dream) Alas my fellow Disneyland fans, there is NO logic in this supposed storyline of 'when Walt arrived in Hollywood' - starting with the fabulous looking entry gate: The 'streamline moderne' structure represents a part of LA which opened in 1936, and thus was built 13 years after Walt's 1923 arrival. All such buildings are after the time frame, as the earlier 'Art Deco' style was invented in 1925 in Paris and quickly became popular thereafter. The bridge the monorail will pass over is from an era after Walt's arrival (whether it is the Hyperion bridge or the Shakespeare bridge, both post date Walt in LA). Even the Carthay Circle theatre won't open until 3 years after Walt arrives. Hard to say Buena Vista Street represents the California Walt saw when he arrived here, but it should be beautiful.
    Last edited by waltopia; 06-18-2011 at 07:35 AM.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

How about a statue of Michael Eisner shaking Pete's hand?
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I love how negative some Disney Fans are about a new Statue...
    There were similar arguments when the original Partners statue was installed at DL's Hub. Most people today can't imagine the Hub without it.

A lot of you guys went down the rabbit hole and I can't figure out what in the world is being argued.

Are some arguing that the Partner's Statute is a bad thing? I've been looking forward to that since it's been announced! I'm extremely dumbfounded on this one. More so than that freaky-deaky Japanese hologram post.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Without overworking my brain in order to analyze past posts, I'll just throw in my own two cents:

As far as the Partners Statue and the hub style entry for DCA, I say why not? The park is facing Disneyland, so I feel the best approach in this situation would be a mirror image (with a type of Main Street and a Partners statue to match) even if it isn't perfect.

However, I do think that the whole Walt tribute theme and Disney character references throughout BVS are a bit of an overkill. Disneyland only makes subtle references here and there to Walt and the Disney legends along its Main Street. Walt tributes are okay in spades, but the theme parks aren't squarely about tributes or references, they're about escapes and immersion. And wasn't one of the DCA's original problems to begin with was that it was too much about paying homage to California instead of being a more immersive and escapist California?

I want BVS to make me feel I'm going back in time to another era. But seeing Disney tributes and references all over BVS is NOT gonna make me feel like I'm walking in Walt's shoes (as is the main intention of BVS). It's gonna make me feel like I'm walking by a bunch of businesses obviously connected to the Disney company with historic architecture to match.

DCA was indeed missing Disney characters and references. The problem is that the suits believe that was all that was missing. If you want really good examples of theme parks that have the right balance of Disney characters and escapism, look to Tokyo DisneySea and Disney's Animal Kingdom. Both parks have lots of Disney charm to them but at the same time they don't slap Disney references on every single aspect of the park.

Sorry if this was offtopic.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Are some arguing that the Partner's Statute is a bad thing? I've been looking forward to that since it's been announced! I'm extremely dumbfounded on this one. More so than that freaky-deaky Japanese hologram post.
    Yes, because the idea of Buena Vista Street as being connected to Walt makes no sense. Why is there a statue honoring some 21 year old farm boy from Kansas City? And why is he with a giant mouse who would not be "born" for another five years? Why is this statue in front of a theater that will not open for another three years? Buena Vista Street is a 1920s/1930s Los Angeles street scape that is getting a "Walt's arrival" angle forced upon it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    How about a statue of Michael Eisner shaking Pete's hand?
    Post of the month!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disneyland Man

All logic aside, I think the new statue, just unveiled, does looks very nice indeed. No matter the supposed storyline, Buena Vista Street is going to be a lovely place....which is all I really ask of a park.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

oh my dear lord my brain hurts...i can tell you exactly why we do the things we do....to make money..now both of you and whoever is following this are going to pay to go into the parks just to try and understand what you are talking about...thank you for helping me earn my paycheck

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234