Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: In General, Ticket Price Increase

Quote Originally Posted by Soul_Meets_Body View Post
    So as we all well know, tickets for the parks increase pretty much twice a year. So basically here is where the discussion starts. When is it enough? For a one day, one park its now $80 at the Disneyland resort. Sure it can be argued that it is a one of a kind experience and that Disney offers a unique experience that cannot be bought anywhere else. Yes this is very true. However, I am 20 years old. As a University student I cannot afford this, as well as many other people who want to experience Disneyland. In my lifetime, even very soon in my lifetime (as in within the next five years), I expect to see the price increase to $100 dollars. $100 dollars for one day one park. So here is the real discussion, will people still do this? Of course they will for the reasons stated earlier. But in all honesty, when is it enough? Please discuss this.
    Get ready to get yelled at.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Yeslos View Post
    Interestingly enough, when Disneyland was founded it was Walt's philosophy that the magic and entertainment found in Disneyland should be available too everyone, this stemmed from his lack of money as a child. He was never able to visit amusement parks and always had to watch children play from the outside. I understand the need to make profit, but the company could at least pay homage to the philosophy by not robbing people at the ticket booth.
    Get ready to get yelled at.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I have no issues with people arguing that the prices are too high. It's a matter of personal opinion. What irks me is simplistic and self-serving arguments like "I want to go to Disneyland. I can't afford to go to Disneyland. Therefore, Disneyland should lower its' prices". Uh, no.
    I agree. As has been pointed out by others, there's no price point that won't exclude someone.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Soul_Meets_Body View Post
    So as we all well know, tickets for the parks increase pretty much twice a year. So basically here is where the discussion starts. When is it enough? For a one day, one park its now $80 at the Disneyland resort. Sure it can be argued that it is a one of a kind experience and that Disney offers a unique experience that cannot be bought anywhere else. Yes this is very true. However, I am 20 years old. As a University student I cannot afford this, as well as many other people who want to experience Disneyland. In my lifetime, even very soon in my lifetime (as in within the next five years), I expect to see the price increase to $100 dollars. $100 dollars for one day one park. So here is the real discussion, will people still do this? Of course they will for the reasons stated earlier. But in all honesty, when is it enough? Please discuss this.
    Unless you perish prematurely, you'll likely see prices well exceed $500 for one park, one day. Whatever will you do then?!?! * clutches hankie *

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Meaning no offense, one of the great mysteries of this and other fan forums is why, when faced with threads that clearly they will find tiresome, people insist on reading them, posting in them, and whining about them.
    Masochistic entertainment. Pure and simple. Speaking for myself, of course.

Interestingly enough, when Disneyland was founded it was Walt's philosophy that the magic and entertainment found in Disneyland should be available too everyone, this stemmed from his lack of money as a child. He was never able to visit amusement parks and always had to watch children play from the outside. I understand the need to make profit, but the company could at least pay homage to the philosophy by not robbing people at the ticket booth.
    Dude, you just made that up.
    Last edited by composerboy; 06-16-2011 at 08:28 PM.

• Banned User

I understand the need to make profit, but the company could at least pay homage to the philosophy by not robbing people at the ticket booth.
    Then the Disney family should have never taken the company public. Once you have stockholders, it becomes your feduciary responsibility to attempt to maximize return on investment for those shareholder. Period.

Philosophical discussions as to "should" are moot. This is not a philosophical topic. It is a company with stock holders who deserve a management that is working for them and only them.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel View Post
    Philosophical discussions as to "should" are moot. This is not a philosophical topic. It is a company with stock holders who deserve a management that is working for them and only them.
    I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where you were the OP and had the authority to determine the tone and nature of the discussion. Perhaps you could show me where that is? Thanks.

• Banned User

And discussion of "should" is moot.

Moot: Adjective: not relevant: irrelevant or unimportant

Discussing how it should be is irrelivant to how it is and how it will be. The only relivant factors are supply and demand. How many people Disneyland wants to attend at various price points, and how many people are willing to attend at varius points?

The price will not stop going up, until enough people stop going.

Any discussion as to how it "should" be is irrelivant to the price setting process.

• Banned User

Fiduciary Duties of Corporate Officers | eHow.com

"The essence of a business is to make money and increase shareholder value. Corporate officers are entrusted with the responsibility to manage and run a business in good faith on behalf of shareholders. The officers’ main fiduciary duties are to exercise care and prudence for the benefit of company owners."

Companies do not exist for the benefit of all. They do not exist to be charities. They are not concerned with fairness.

They exist to maxamize profts for the shareholders.

It is neither me nor the OP that determine the context or relivant factors effecting the price setting process. It is the law, and the law says the corporation exists to maximize proft for the shareholder.

• Banned User

And discussion of "should" is moot.
    Why? Because you say so?

Moot: Adjective: not relevant: irrelevant or unimportant
    I know what it means.

Discussing how it should be is irrelivant to how it is and how it will be. The only relivant factors are supply and demand.
    OK, for one, the words are spelled "irrelevant" and "relevant," but again, WHY? Because you say so?

The price will not stop going up, until enough people stop going.
    Continual frequent price increases will help to ensure ever-increasing numbers of people NOT going.

Any discussion as to how it "should" be is irrelivant to the price setting process.
    For the third time, why, because you say so?

• Banned User

Fiduciary Duties of Corporate Officers | eHow.com

"The essence of a business is to make money and increase shareholder value. Corporate officers are entrusted with the responsibility to manage and run a business in good faith on behalf of shareholders. The officers’ main fiduciary duties are to exercise care and prudence for the benefit of company owners."

Companies do not exist for the benefit of all. They do not exist to be charities. They are not concerned with fairness.

They exist to maxamize profts for the shareholders.

It is neither me nor the OP that determine the context or relivant factors effecting the price setting process. It is the law, and the law says the corporation exists to maximize proft for the shareholder.
    Do you exist in this world for the sole purpose of providing the Walt Disney Company money?

• Banned User

It is the law, and the law says the corporation exists to maximize proft for the shareholder.
    Oh? Which law is that? Please name the specific legal statute and provide a link (no, an eHow.com page is not sufficient). Thanks.

Also, is there any law that specifically FORBIDS any and all corporate entities from being fair? Or are they legally REQUIRED to be unfair to their customers?

Are all citizens legally REQUIRED to provide business to any and all corporate entities?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Why? Because you say so?
    Because the law says so.

I know what it means.
    Then why did you think I was trying to control this thread? I wasn't attempting to say it could not be discussed in this thread. I was saying that the discussion was irrelivant.

OK, for one, the words are spelled "irrelevant" and "relevant," but again, WHY? Because you say so?
    It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word. President Andrew Jackson.

I may be a horrid speller, but I can out internets just about anyone.

Continual price increases will help to ensure ever greater numbers of people NOT going.
    EXACTLY!!!!!! Prices will continue to increase until enough people stop going!!!! This is the only relivant factor that will determine when enough is enough!

For the third time, why, because you say so?
    Becasue the law says so.

And, jsut for clarity, in case anyone missed it, the law establishiing the feduciary responsibility of corporate officers states that the corporate offices must do what is to the maximum benefit of the owners.

It says nothing about fair, or that a 20 year old college student must be able to afford to go, or anything else as to how price "should" be set. Those factors are irrelivant.

• Banned User

Oh? Which law is that? Please name the specific legal statute and provide a link (no, an eHow.com page is not sufficient). Thanks.
    Here is my link:
    Disney Parks Ticketing Update Disney Parks Blog

Oh look, they are raising prices becuase people haven't stopped going.

Now, you provide a link showing how it is the OP that gets to determine what factors are relivant when corporations are setting the price of their products.

• Banned User

Because the law says so.
    Again, which law, and where in that law does it state that all corporate entities are legally required to be unfair to their customers?

Then why did you think I was trying to control this thread? I wasn't attempting to say it could not be discussed in this thread.
    Sure sounded like it.

It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word. President Andrew Jackson.
    Quoting a racist responsible for the Trail of Tears to try to justify your inability to properly spell a common word? Seriously?

I may be a horrid speller, but I can out internets just about anyone.
    Great, then out-internets me by finding that legal statue wherein it states that all corporate entities are legally required to consider shareholder concerns at the expense of their customers. See, because, last I checked, if your customers abandon you and stop providing you with a revenue stream, stock value plummets, and shareholder investments lose their value.

• Banned User

I was not aware that the Disney Parks Blog was where one finds legal statutes listed. Do they study the Disney Parks Blog in law schools around the country? Are copies of it found in every law office?

I said to show me the LEGAL STATUTE. Can you do that? Do you even know where to look? Here, I'll give you a start - Lawyer, Lawyers, Attorney, Attorneys, Law, Legal Information - FindLaw

Now go find the specific corporate legal statute that states that every corporate entity is required to put shareholder concerns above the concerns of their customers. You claimed to be able to "out-internets" me. If this claim is to be believed, you will be able to easily find the specific statute and name it here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast