Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

FYI: Disneyland is an adjective, not a noun

I found a sidenote on Wikipedia that I thought was rather interesting...
    Notes
    1. ^ Although most people refer to the park as simply "Disneyland", the official name is "Disneyland Park". United States trademark practice specifies that a trademark such as "Disneyland" is always used as an adjective and never as a noun or verb. Therefore, "Xerox copier" and "Disneyland Park" are correct usage, while "use a Xerox" or "come to Disneyland" are not technically correct.
    So the quote "I'm going to Disneyland!" made famous by athletes in the Olympics, sports stars, celebrities, etc. is 'not technically correct-' not that those people ever use correct terminology anyway *insert eyeroll here*

I'm positive even Disneyland Park doesn't always refer to itself with the tagline, park. Walt didn't say "Disneyland Park is your park."

• Rock Star Minion

Re: FYI: Disneyland is an adjective, not a noun

Wiki is full of people's opinions on subjects. Not all of them right, reasonable or correct. I usually try to get a second opinion (maybe Wiki could have a "verification listing" on some of their topics).

For example, the use of the analogy "Use a Xerox" which means, "make a copy" with "going to Disneyland," is way off, unless someone were to say it while going to Six Flags or Cedar Point. Do people do that?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Closed Account

That modifier is to keep proper nouns, such as Kleenex or Bandaid, from becoming common, and therefore un-protected. Xerox does not mean "to make a copy;" it is the name of a brand of copier. If a proper noun becomes common, anyone can use it. Disneyland is trying (successfully) to prevent that from occuring, by using the term "Disneyland" to denote the "manufacturer" of that particular park in Anaheim.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yeah I hate crap like that. It's like having to learn to call it Gypsom Board when when you are growing up the only think you ever hear is Drywall.

• Banned User

If you think "Disneyland Park" is bad, what about the mouthful of "Disney's California Adventure Park." What is the point of having "park" anyways? I mean, it's not a green-grass kind of park, its a theme park. Is the "park" in theme supposed the be the "park" after Disneyland?

The tagline "Disneyland Park" has never made much sense anyways.

• =)

I hate disputes on semantics and quibbles on this sort of grammar...

Sediment's right, too. You should never put too much faith in Wikipedia if you want the cold, hard, undeniable facts. I've had to edit articles that contained misinformation, no matter how you look at it. It does happen.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    Sediment's right, too...
    [SLAP! of the dueling glove] I CHALLENGE THEE!!
    Oh, wait, never mind.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

LOL...i think that's hilarious...so even Uncle Walt was wrong in saying "Disneyland is your land?" how dare he incorrectly use the rules English language, especially in referring to his own creation!!....

• See you there!

This makes my head hurt, please make it stop......

Let's see, if I say (and I do say this) "I'm going to Xerox that". The means I am going to copy something.

If I say "I'm going to Disneyland". What am I going to do?

Am I...

a. Going to fantasise something?
    b. Going to spend some money?
    c. Going to leave today behind?

It's all so confusing, make it stop, make it stop.

CU@DL

Andy

• Earth Intruder

Oh lord. Disneyland is a noun (just plain old Disneyland), but then Paul Pressler changed the name slightly when they came up with the Disneyland Park crap, I believe. To differentiate it from, say Downtown Disney, the Disneyland Resort (as a whole), or Disney's Parking Lot Adventure.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Resident DL'er

I hope to Disneyland myself in a few weeks, by visiting the Disneyland park.

The question is, if "Disneyland" really is an adjective, what does it actually mean? Sorry, I actually think I used it as a verb, just now. I am so confused.

My trip to Disneyland Park will be very...Disneyland.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

that's a good question, how exactly does one "Disneyland"? I'm sticking with Disneyland as being a noun, since it qualifies under Person, Place or Thing. Disneyland is most definitely a place.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Minion

I think the argument of the matter was this- it's a park. Disneyland, as a word, is describing what park it is- so it's used as an adjective.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

park ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pärk)
    n.
    1. An area of land set aside for public use, as:
      1. A piece of land with few or no buildings within or adjoining a town, maintained for recreational and ornamental purposes.
      2. A landscaped city square.
      3. A large tract of rural land kept in its natural state and usually reserved for the enjoyment and recreation of visitors.
    2. A broad, fairly level valley between mountain ranges: the high parks of the Rocky Mountains.
    3. A tract of land attached to a country house, especially when including extensive gardens, woods, pastures, or a game preserve.
    4. Sports. A stadium or an enclosed playing field: a baseball park.
      1. An area where military vehicles or artillery are stored and serviced.
      2. The materiel kept in such an area.
    5. An area in or near a town designed and usually zoned for a certain purpose: a commercial park.
    6. A position in an automatic transmission that disengages the gears and sets the brake so the vehicle cannot move: put the car in park and turned off the engine.
    Disneyland park most closely refers to #6--it is a park and the type of park is Disneyland. Disneyland describes the park and is therefore an adjective. The comparison to a Xerox copier is accurate--there are many copiers, Xerox describes one type, so Xerox is an adjective. We tend to use Xerox as a noun, but the noun is really corporation--as in Xerox Corporation.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

So I'm driving through Tarzana town in my Cadillac car to get a Big Mac burger at the local McDonalds restaurant when a little red light comes on and I suddenly realize my Pennzoil engine lubricant is low. I pull into a Mobil automotive service center to pick up a couple of cans and fill my tank with Techroline petroleum-based fuel. After arriving home, I've lost my appetite so the burger goes down the Insinkerator garbage disposal and, instead, I pour myself a big tumbler of Jack Daniels malt-based distilled alcoholic beverage and swallow several Aspirin analgesics.

I'm getting tired.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast