Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Snow White Castle and the Carthay Circle Theatre

Remember that Snow White Castle was renamed at the last minute in 1955.

Just as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is an interpretation in film of the transcribed folk tale by the German Brothers Grimm, Disneyland's castle is largely inspired by that most famous of Bavarian architectural fantasies: Neuschwanstein.

• Gooseberries and Apples

True, I had forgotten the castle's German inspiration.

That may be the idea as was mentioned earlier. Switch the Snow White ride with the Sleeping Beauty castle.

I'd still like to see a few things added to the castle, but unfortunately the space is just so small.

• Always Dreaming

Yes, perhaps it was changed at the last moment, and was originally meant to be Snow White's castle. BUT Walt changed it, and so it's been Sleeping Beauty Castle for 56 years. To change it now would be an insult to Walt's memory. If he had wanted it to be Snow White's castle, he would have changed the name while he was alive, after Sleeping Beauty had come out and the marketing aspect was done with.

Keep in mind that Sleeping Beauty was a huge project that cost the studio a lot of money. It's quite clear that it was very important to Walt to have it made, and to this day is considered to be one of the best animated films ever made. To take away the tribute to that would be horrible. Snow White already has enough representation in the park and doesn't need the castle as well.
    http://aurorahermione.tumblr.com - costuming and random Disney stuff

This isn't strictly a serious thread (for me anyway).

While the change may be interesting to think about, it's not going to happen.

Princess Politics are fraught with passion I fear.

That said let's not pit the films/princesses/Walt's-visions against each other. Each has its merits and importance to both fans and the Disney legacy.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I totally agree with you, aurorahermione, duckling. Snow White's grotto and dark ride already offer her plenty of exposure. The castle offers Sleeping Beauty plenty of exposure. To take away from either would create an imbalance. Snow White fans should be happy enough over the fact that Snow White has a dark ride and a grotto. Let them not to be so greedy that they would take away another character's tribute.

ORWEN: Yeah, poor Aurora used to be snubbed in the past by the studio, itself, because it didn't make a profit until many years later. But a lot of that is because of the expense of the movie. In later years Sleeping Beauty has become wildly popular and more people finally realize this. It's mostly guests who don't have a clue about Disney trivia to begin with that mislable the castles and the characters. But those in the know--well they know!!

"Sleeping Beauty" has the most elaborate castle of them all at Disneyland Paris, which should be considered cut from the same cloth as The Magic Kingdoms, collectively.

Walt Disney never lived to see a second Disneyland, but it eventually came in the early '70's. He did have a hand, though, in some planning for that site, which included Cinderella Castle, something wholly different from that, which he created in California.

If one considers original design intent, there are three premises:

1. Sleeping Beauty Castle in California was intended to be "Snow White Castle," and the existing design of the building reflects this fact.

2. Walt Disney chose, for reasons that still remains mysterious, to, at the last minute, christen this Snow White Castle "Sleeping Beauty Castle."

3. Walt Disney planned the second of The Magic Kingdoms to have a one-of-a-kind centerpiece, "Cinderella Castle."

Now, since the definitive Sleeping Beauty Castle has been built in Paris, years after Mr. Disney's death, and since he ostensibly intended for there to be no duplicates or clones of these castles, which premise should take precedence when determining original design intent, and the way said intent should be preserved?
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-30-2011 at 09:40 PM.

• Always Dreaming

I don't think that just because the Paris castle is better, it should be called the "definitive" castle. As I said before, it's in Europe, where there are REAL castles all over the place. They had to step it up or risk it seeming like it wasn't out of a fairy tale.

Both US castles have been cloned in Asia. I've seen both of them. However, I always saw it more as an homage to the originals that cheapening on them.

Sleeping Beauty castle at Disneyland is the original Disney Castle. Until Paris opened, it was the only one called "Sleeping Beauty Castle". If anything, why aren't you pushing for one of the other parks to change their castles? They weren't the original one.
    http://aurorahermione.tumblr.com - costuming and random Disney stuff

• Minion

ORDDU: And there's no 'mystery' as to why Walt Disney decided to christen the Disneyland castle as Sleeping Beauty's. It's well known that the animated film was about to be released in 1959 and that Walt used the first castle to promote this fact. Let's not rewrite history in order to promote an idea that's just not practical.

ORWEN: Thank goodness Uncle Walt was practical. He most likely didn't want Snow White 'over-kill' either.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    When I originally proposed such a change, the walk-through had been closed and the 50th anniversary was about to take place. So, there was a perfect opportunity then to close one chapter in Disneyland's history in order to begin another. Re-christening the castle still makes sense, though, and I imagine doing so would be part of a larger effort to make each of the five castles around the world one-of-a-kind.
    They could have made the castle in Hong Kong, Snow White Castle or the upcoming castle in the Shanghai park. But no to changing our castle. Where did you read or hear that Sleeping Beauty castle was originally going to be Snow White's castle? That's the first time I've heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    They could have made the castle in Hong Kong, Snow White Castle or the upcoming castle in the Shanghai park. But no to changing our castle. Where did you read or hear that Sleeping Beauty castle was originally going to be Snow White's castle? That's the first time I've heard that.
    A Walk Inside Sleeping Beauty Castle (Wade's Wayback Machine) by Wade Sampson

It was Walt Disney's original idea before he switched it to Sleeping Beauty for marketing purposes.

*Idle Speculation* Though had he lived to see the construction of the Florida and Paris castles he may have wanted to try a new design for his first park.

• Minion

Next someone will be wanting to change the Swiss Family Treehouse to Tarzan...

Just leave this stuff the way Walt made it.

Must we bid adieu to Big Thunder Mountain too.

• Peaches and Dreams

I'm still waiting for you to mention the carthay circle theatre

• Banned User

Personally, I want the real Carthay Circle Theatre back, and in its original location. They never should have demolished it. I've been to the location, and it's still a great location for a movie theater.

Carthay Circle Theatre in Los Angeles, CA - Cinema Treasures

Carthay Circle Theatre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LAistory: Carthay Circle Theater: LAist

Here the seating breakdown for the Carthay Circle Theatre for the first three decades, according to original box office seating charts.

Main Floor:
    Loges 364
    General 632
    Total: 996

Mezzanine Loge: 242
    Mezzanine Balcony: 280
    Total: 522

Grand Total for Theatre: 1518 seats.

A 1927 Sanborn map overlayed on a 2007 satellite map showing the exact location of the theater (in yellow) (this stretch of San Vicente Blvd was called Eulalia Blvd at the time):

Circa 1920s:

Circa 1930s:

An ad for “Snow White” at the Carthay Circle:

1944:

A July 1948 ad from the LA Times:

1949:

A February 1953 ad from the LA Times:
    Last edited by Retrocool; 06-30-2011 at 03:47 PM.

• Minion

Here's a great 2-part vintage LATimes clipping about Walt Disney's Fantasia as it was about to have its Los Angeles premiere at Carthay Circle in the original Fantasound -- (and where the film would run for 45 weeks!):

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6...7744c9d970c-pi

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6...16aa138970b-pi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast