Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Snow White Castle and the Carthay Circle Theatre

Sleeping Beauty Castle was originally conceived as Snow White Castle, and I've long believed, for a host of reasons, that this centerpiece of Disneyland would work best, creatively-speaking, returned to the fairest of them all, especially since Disney has taken to making carbon copies of these castles all over the world.

Well, there may be one more argument now in favor of such a change. The Carthay Circle Theatre is being built as the centerpiece of the California park. The significance of this venue lies in the fact that "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," the first animated feature in motion-picture history, as well as the first feature film in Disney history, premiered to the world there in 1937.

The parallel between Snow White Castle at Disneyland and the Carthay Circle Theatre at the California park would embody a very strong creative link between the two gates.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-21-2011 at 07:51 PM.

• Forgotten Spirit

Re: Snow White Castle and the Carthay Circle Theatre

Once you go black you never go back..
    oh, wait.
    xD no offense intended.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Sleeping Beauty Castle was originally conceived as Snow White Castle, and I've long believed, for a host of reasons, that this centerpiece of Disneyland would work best, creatively-speaking, returned to the fairest of them all, especially since Disney has taken to making carbon copies of these castles all over the world.

Well, there may be one more argument now in favor of such a change. The Carthay Circle Theatre is being built as the centerpiece of the California park. The significance of this venue lies in the fact that "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," the first animated feature in motion-picture history, as well as the first feature film in Disney history, premiered to the world there in 1937.

The parallel between Snow White Castle at Disneyland and the Carthay Circle Theatre at the California park would embody a very strong creative link between the two.
    I agree that this would be something really cool. It would be a nice bridge between the old park and the new park. However, I don't know if they can sell it to the die hards out there.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• revolutionary waltz

So wait your idea is to rename Sleeping Beauty's castle to Snow White's castle? :S

It's a cute idea, especially with the connection to the Carthay Circle theater at DCA, but wouldn't that create a logical problem with the locations of the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough and the Snow White ride?

When I originally proposed such a change, the walk-through had been closed and the 50th anniversary was about to take place. So, there was a perfect opportunity then to close one chapter in Disneyland's history in order to begin another. Re-christening the castle still makes sense, though, and I imagine doing so would be part of a larger effort to make each of the five castles around the world one-of-a-kind.

I hate to be the one to say this but I really dislike this idea. Change the name of the castle to Snow White's Castle because the Carthay is being built at DCA?? That makes no sense.

The castle itself was originally conceived with the top half of it facing the other way around, a complete 180 degree turn. Until a mistake on the model moved it to how we know it today. Walt saw it, liked it a lot better and said to build it that way. Should we turn the top of the castle around because that's how it was originally conceived? Walt also liked the idea of the castle being Sleeping Beauty's Castle, more than Snow White's Castle, thus the reason for the name change. I could see if it was originally built and christened as SWC and then someone changed the name after
    Walt died. But that's not the case here.

---------- Post added 06-20-2011 at 07:41 PM ----------

and I imagine doing so would be part of a larger effort to make each of the five castles around the world one-of-a-kind.
    Except for the fact that Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland's castles look exactly alike. Doesn't matter what you call them. They still look alike. Wouldn't it be a bit odd to have Snow White's Castle in Anaheim and Sleeping Beauty's Castle in Hong Kong, but they look like twin castles?
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• revolutionary waltz

When I originally proposed such a change, the walk-through had been closed and the 50th anniversary was about to take place. So, there was a perfect opportunity then to close one chapter in Disneyland's history in order to begin another. Re-christening the castle still makes sense, though...
    I see where your inspiration comes from, certainly, but renaming the castle when it literally holds the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough wouldn't make much sense, unless you're suggesting closing that? You could write off "Snow White's Castle" as the Prince's castle, sure, that'd help negate the fact that the Evil Queen/her tower is already represented a little way's off and that Sleeping Beauty's castle bears no resemblance to the Queen's castle, but it still means a lot of work to be done within both the castle itself (the walkthrough) and the area near it (Aurora/Philip fountain).

Personally, Snow White was one of the few princesses that I never associated with a "castle"--it was always the Dwarves' cottage--in comparison to many of the others (Cinderella, Belle, Ariel all have castle designs--Ariel has 2, in fact!)

...and I imagine doing so would be part of a larger effort to make each of the five castles around the world one-of-a-kind.
    Doesn't, as TodAZ1 mentioned, HKDL have an identical twin castle to ours? As well, Paris' castle is also Sleeping Beauty based, although the architecture is different. I don't think there's ever been a movement to make the different castles unique and even then, I'd almost prefer for DL, as the original park and now home of the redone walkthrough, to keep Sleeping Beauty over the other parks.

If one searches for "Snow White Castle," he or she will find several discussions of the prospect on MiceChat.

Paris has the definitive Sleeping Beauty Castle from the tapestries and the stained-glass windows to the architecture and the landscaping that was borne from Eyvind Earle's art direction. Maleficent also takes up residence as the dragon in the dungeon.

• Banned User

While we're at it, lets change the name of the White House to the Executive House.

Please don't make Disneyland suffer because DCA sucks so much

Again, this is only one more argument among many for Snow White Castle to be returned to the one to whom it has belonged all along. And, while I might have agreed with you twenty years ago about comparing this site to the White House, there is now a carbon copy in Hong Kong. And, Disneyland Paris has something that looks completely different but still calls itself "Sleeping Beauty Castle." So, the cheapening has already happened.

This move would actually help to correct that cheapening by making each castle unique.

---------- Post added 06-20-2011 at 10:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Please don't make Disneyland suffer because DCA sucks so much
    It's true that D.C.A. sucks in many ways and that the choice of the Carthay Circle Theatre does not really have much creative justification. But, I'm making the best of an imperfect situation.

In an ideal world, I would have probably made different decisions, but this is really the next best scenario.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-20-2011 at 09:12 PM.

• Banned User

Again, this is only one more argument among many for Snow White Castle to be returned to the one to whom it has belonged all along. And, while I might have agreed with you twenty years ago about comparing this site to the White House, there is now a carbon copy in Hong Kong. And, Disneyland Paris has something that looks completely different but still calls itself "Sleeping Beauty Castle." So, the cheapening has already happened.

This move would actually help to correct that cheapening by making each castle unique.

---------- Post added 06-20-2011 at 10:10 PM ----------

It's true that D.C.A. sucks in many ways and that the choice of the Carthay Circle Theatre does not really have much creative justification. But, I'm making the best of an imperfect situation.

In an ideal world, I would have probably made different decisions, but this is really the next best scenario.
    Then change the newer ones, not the ORIGINAL. It makes no sense, especially since they redid the SB walkthrough, and it looks better then ever. For someone who is such a traditionalist, it's strange to me that you'd want to rename the original Disney castle in a synergy attempt.

• Nutty about Disney parks

It's rather unfortunate that Tokyo Disneyland opted for building an exact replica copy of Magic Kingdom's Cinderella Castle or otherwise I would've advocated for every Magic Kingdom to have a uniquely themed castle based on a different fairytale. So yeah with that in mind there's no point in changing Disneyland's castle unless either TDL or MK changes theirs but now it's all out of whack since MK is getting two attractions designed after two other fairytale castles to be located behind Cinderella's castle. Argh!!!
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

I agree with noleafclover1980.

If you want to change a castle so they are are original and different, then why change the original? Change Hong Kong's since they literally carbon copied ours.

• Always Dreaming

As others have said, Anaheim and Hong Kong have the same castle, as do Tokyo and Orlando. Paris is the only park that has a truly unique Castle (though it is still called Sleeping Beauty Castle).

I would be incredibly upset if they changed the castle, both because it has been Sleeping Beauty Castle since opening and as a Sleeping Beauty fan. Yes, the Paris castle is more impressive, but then again you can see real castles in France, so they had to step it up.
    http://aurorahermione.tumblr.com - costuming and random Disney stuff

There are three Sleeping Beauty Castles and two Cinderella Castles. I'm not comfortable with that cheapening of Disneyland, the original. So, to re-imagine them all as one-of-a-kind, three would need to be re-christened.

They all would require some changes, with the possible exception of La Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant, which is, on the whole, well-conceived and well-executed. There is absolutely no separating Charles Perrault's "Sleeping Beauty" from that place because everything about it relates to that 17th Century French story and to the Disney film interpretation. Snow White Castle, conversely, has more Bavarian influences than anything else, and the diminutive scale and charming proportions are more in keeping with "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." Moreover, the Wishing Well and singing waterfall are integral to that castle's design. And, the Old Hollywood aesthetic of both the film and the castle feels uniquely Californian, especially in relationship to the storybook style of architecture that gained currency here in the 1920's.

Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World really only needs a clock tower. A conversion of Cinderella Castle at Tokyo Disneyland to The Little Mermaid Castle might serve as the land counterpoint to Tokyo Disney Seas while elevating Mermaid Lagoon there and while acknowledging the seafaring traditions of the island nation of Japan. Hong Kong Disneyland needs a similar extreme makeover of its Sleeping Beauty Castle to, perhaps, something for Beauty and the Beast.

---------- Post added 06-21-2011 at 07:32 AM ----------

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast