Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Small Projects Team

Re: Best ride since Walt died.

It depends on what is meant by "best".
    Indy has the best technology I've seen on a ride up to this date and gives one of the most immerse feelings but I'd still prefer to ride space or splash.

• Banned User

Indy or the mgm tot. Indy immerses you in its theme the instant you enter the building. It has things to look at and actually had a large budget and was done right. The ride itself is awesome and the themeing was carried out throughout the whole ride. The MGM tot is the same way Great ride and immersive theme. The west coast disgrace version is horrible. Too much light and moving back first doesn't help. My proposal to fix it. have the upper loading area be turned into the only loading level. It goes up from ther for the two show scenes and then moves back into the current ride shaft. It then goes through 1 of 4 or 5 drop sequences and then moves forward into the current lower level loading area which would then become the exit area. Also i would make it darker because it doesn't look like an abandoned hotel.

• Resident DL'er

Indy.

• Minion

Journey Into Imagination(the original, the best)
    Haunted Mansion
    Splash Mountain
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    EDIT: Didn't notice I already posted in the thread and went against what I said before on Mansion. LoL.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• time to go

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man!

(Hey... nobody qualified the "where" of the ride. Just the "when.")

• Circle of Ancients

Technically, "The Haunted Mansion" does not count because it was well on its way when Walt died. It is a Walt attraction. Plus, as many have pointed out, the actual mansion was there since 1962.

Country Bears might not count on a techinicality either. It was at concept stage.

So I have to say Indy.

• Banned User

I can't decide between Space Mountain and California Screamin.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I can't decide between 3--> Splash Mountain, Indy, and Space Mountain ALL BEST RIDES EVER

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Indy and Splash, hands-down.

Indy always thrills, and the theming and technology are absolutely superb...and will not get old anytime soon.

Splash is incredibly immersive, and even though the characters themselves are not widely known, the ride is very popular. The use of the AAs, including the old ones, were very cleverly done. Plus it's a log flume, so it's a lot of fun

• The one, the only...

I am not sure I can count Space Mountain since Walt was the one to come up with the idea of an indoor roller-coast. It is true the "space" theme was added later.

If SM is out, then Indy for sure get the top award because of the imaginative theme, technical innovations, and family appeal. It is as pure a "Disney" ride as Walt could have created.

Honorable mentions:

Splash Mountain
    Star Tours
    Tower of Terror
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    Splash is incredibly immersive, and even though the characters themselves are not widely known, the ride is very popular. The use of the AAs, including the old ones, were very cleverly done. Plus it's a log flume, so it's a lot of fun
    Has anyone else read the story it's based on? It's really quite interesting, there's a whole book, I can't remember the name, full of stories based on Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear, Brer Fox, and all the characters showed in the ride basically. All the stories are basically about Brer Fox trying to capture and eat Brer Rabbit, but fails each time because Brer Rabbit outsmarts him. In the one Splash is based on, called the "Tar Baby" I think, Brer Fox captures Brer Rabbit with a baby made out of tar. While walking by Brer Rabbit says "God mornin'" to the tar baby, and when it doesn't respond he slaps it and gets his hand stuck. Eventually he gets his whole body stuck and Brer Fox comes out to gloat. He starts thinking of ways to kill Brer Rabbit, drowning him, skinning him, boiling him, and a whole bunch of other things. After he mentions each one Brer Rabbit would say something to the effect of "That's a right awful way to die Brer Fox, but it ain't nothin' compared to bein' thrown in that there briar patch!". You can hear this while going up the lift while Brer Rabbit is tied up if you listen closely. After a while Brer Fox decides that he should do exactly what Brer Rabbit didn't want him to do, and throws him in the Briar Patch. After he doesn't hear anything he thinks he's dead and starts to dance around, but then Brer Rabbit appears on the other side of the patch yelling "I was born and raised in the briar patch Brer Fox, born and raised!" and runs off laughing. Just thought some of you might find it interesting .

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by splashmountainfreak
    Has anyone else read the story it's based on? It's really quite interesting, there's a whole book, I can't remember the name, full of stories based on Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear, Brer Fox, and all the characters showed in the ride basically. All the stories are basically about Brer Fox trying to capture and eat Brer Rabbit, but fails each time because Brer Rabbit outsmarts him. In the one Splash is based on, called the "Tar Baby" I think, Brer Fox captures Brer Rabbit with a baby made out of tar. While walking by Brer Rabbit says "God mornin'" to the tar baby, and when it doesn't respond he slaps it and gets his hand stuck. Eventually he gets his whole body stuck and Brer Fox comes out to gloat. He starts thinking of ways to kill Brer Rabbit, drowning him, skinning him, boiling him, and a whole bunch of other things. After he mentions each one Brer Rabbit would say something to the effect of "That's a right awful way to die Brer Fox, but it ain't nothin' compared to bein' thrown in that there briar patch!". You can hear this while going up the lift while Brer Rabbit is tied up if you listen closely. After a while Brer Fox decides that he should do exactly what Brer Rabbit didn't want him to do, and throws him in the Briar Patch. After he doesn't hear anything he thinks he's dead and starts to dance around, but then Brer Rabbit appears on the other side of the patch yelling "I was born and raised in the briar patch Brer Fox, born and raised!" and runs off laughing. Just thought some of you might find it interesting .
    It's safe to say that changing this old scenario into Brer Rabbit getting caught in the honey was very imaginative and fun (and PC in the good way)...I always smile when I see Brer Rabbit laughing at Brer Bear when he has that honeycomb on his nose

Hmm, the story doesn't mention a Laughing Place at all? Interesting...

• Banned User

Actually Splash Mountain is based on three stories. All three are in the movie Song of the South. The laghing Place story in the Movie ended with Brer fox and Brer Bear getting hit with honeycombs and running away. The third story has to do with the briar patch and tar baby. The first has something weird with a hanging trap and brer Rabbit tricked brer bear into releasing him and then trapping himself or something.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Quote Originally Posted by inav
    Actually Splash Mountain is based on three stories. All three are in the movie Song of the South. The laghing Place story in the Movie ended with Brer fox and Brer Bear getting hit with honeycombs and running away. The third story has to do with the briar patch and tar baby. The first has something weird with a hanging trap and brer Rabbit tricked brer bear into releasing him and then trapping himself or something.
    Well those stories weren't in the book! If you'll excuse me I have some sueing to do...

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

I love Indie, Splash, Space Mountain and Star Tours. But . . . for my money, Soarin' takes the cake.

Soarin' is such a simpleton of a ride on its surface. A short travelogue of sorts which you get to hang glide through. It has so much going for it though. Even though you are hoisted up several stories and pushed into a movie screen with precious little to make you feel like you are secured into your seat, next to nobody is afraid of it. It's the classic Disney ride for (nearly) the whole family. Even the smallest kids and the biggest scaredy cats will stand in line for this one. For the older among us, it is so much a reminder of the Circle Vision films. That was a pretty amazing technology at the time and did an impressive job of putting the crowds right in the middle of the action. Soarin' takes this gazillion ton machine and gently lifts you to the heavens and then "flys" you so convincingly through California's unmatchable vistas that you have to work pretty hard to break the spell you've been put under.

My proof positive that this is the greatest? (Based on my admittedly feeble brain power). Every time this puppy comes in for a landing, the riders break out in applause. All the other rides will get your occasional "whoops" and screams of delight . . . but at the end of the performance . . . applause. I would like to think that Walt would have applauded, too.

"Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast