Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Best ride since Walt died.

Spaceship Earth and American Adventure. I know that the "Epcot Center" that now exists is a departure from the "Community Of Tommorow" that he had envisioned, but these two are like the two "anchor" attractions in that park. They are definitly in the spirit of those early sixties "World's Fair" attractions, and they also are in line with his original idea of attractions, that families can enjoy together, something that can't quite be said for some of the other attractions with height/health restrictions.
    But I guess the topic is "best post-Walt attractions", right? As opposed to "attractions that he would most like". I would put my two choices in the latter category.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaxx
    Soarin' is such a simpleton of a ride on its surface. A short travelogue of sorts which you get to hang glide through. It has so much going for it though. Even though you are hoisted up several stories and pushed into a movie screen with precious little to make you feel like you are secured into your seat, next to nobody is afraid of it. It's the classic Disney ride for (nearly) the whole family. Even the smallest kids and the biggest scaredy cats will stand in line for this one. For the older among us, it is so much a reminder of the Circle Vision films. That was a pretty amazing technology at the time and did an impressive job of putting the crowds right in the middle of the action. Soarin' takes this gazillion ton machine and gently lifts you to the heavens and then "flys" you so convincingly through California's unmatchable vistas that you have to work pretty hard to break the spell you've been put under.
    I agree that Soarin' has potential, but right now it's sort of feeble. It's WAY to short (like all DCA rides) and has absolutely no transition between locations.

• Animatronic

Soarin' would need more tricks if it was longer.

If Haunted Mansion does not count, then Space Mountain as it originally opened. I am counting not just the ride, but the the complete Tomorrowland experience including speed ramps, a space stage with rock bands playing while you wait in line, and the techno babble in the queue leading up to the grand boarding area. This ride was unique, fun, and the focal point of an entire land which already had subs, shrinking machines, and moonships! Even better, after your trip, you exited back out into the future so there was no jaring post show as is often the case these days. The ride itself had a great build up, smooth exciting turns, and a great finish. If you take the ride as it exists today, or you don't count the entire experience of the land and the queue and the live bands, then I would be torn between all of the above mentioned E-tickets, possibly leaning towards Tower of Terror even though it's insanely short, has a bad post show, and is horribly positioned inside of DCA.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    Splash Mountain. First real "flume" ride .... nice and long .... good mix of thrills and theming .....good queue ....

Ditto!

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaxx
    I would like to think that Walt would have applauded, too.

I always applaud when we swoop over Disneyland. I have only ridden the ride at Epcot so people just turn and look at me strangely.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Doombuggies.com Member

Haunted Mansion of course! Although I can't get enough of Muppet Vision 3D.

"Rat shmat. Besides they're tourists. What do they know?" - Rizzo dressed as Mickey Mouse (preshow)

• Minion FOREVER!

Indy

Space, HM, PotC don't count since Walt knew or invented the concepts.
    (In fact, Walt walked thru HM & PotC concepts).

Reasons: immersive queue & ride, repeatability, innovative ride system, nice
    seemless theming with good story (better than Dinosaur in WDW DAK).

Country Bears might not count on a techinicality either. It was at concept stage.
    Some of us have heard the story about how Walt, near the end of his life, proposed an idea about "something with bears" to Marc Davis. Davis came up with a very early concept drawing of a bear playing a tuba. Walt supposedly started laughing so hard at the picture that he had to sit down. This was just a few days before his passing. So Marc Davis used to credit himself with providing Walt with "Walt's Last Laugh". Like I said, it's a story that Davis used to tell, so, technically, "Country Bears" don't exactly count.

• MILLIONS OF BURRITOS!

I have to agree with others- Splash and Indiana Jones headlocked for me.

• Hooterville, USA

Indy has it all as far

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Indy has it all as far
    as que and ride. Post kinda of screwed up.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I'm going by different forms of rides

Dark ride with Water Elements: Splash Mountain
    High-tech thrill ride: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Attraction featuring a new film format: Soarin' over California
    Dark ride with movie tie in: Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin or Monster's Inc
    Kind of interesting, but I feel in terms of relations to more Fantasyland rides, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin combines guest control and a popular movie from a more recent period. And in terms of higher quality and new effects, I think Monsters, Inc is a really good ride that entertains, and appeals to all. Although the exterior is another question.
    Out of control elevator-type attraction: Tower of Terror

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    Soarin' would need more tricks if it was longer.

If Haunted Mansion does not count, then Space Mountain as it originally opened. I am counting not just the ride, but the the complete Tomorrowland experience including speed ramps, a space stage with rock bands playing while you wait in line, and the techno babble in the queue leading up to the grand boarding area. This ride was unique, fun, and the focal point of an entire land which already had subs, shrinking machines, and moonships! Even better, after your trip, you exited back out into the future so there was no jaring post show as is often the case these days. The ride itself had a great build up, smooth exciting turns, and a great finish. If you take the ride as it exists today, or you don't count the entire experience of the land and the queue and the live bands, then I would be torn between all of the above mentioned E-tickets, possibly leaning towards Tower of Terror even though it's insanely short, has a bad post show, and is horribly positioned inside of DCA.
    I certainly have to agree with this post. Sucks for me that I never got to experience the full Tomorrowland with Space Stage, subs, shrinking machine, working speedramps, etc. The earliest memory of Tomorrowland I have is going to Disneyland as a youngin' being psyched over the new Tomorrowland '98 and then being completely let-down once I got there to see it. Meh.

Back on-topic though. I would consider the Haunted Mansion to be a post-Walt attraction as what we have today was, for the majority of it, all put together after Walt died. None of the storylines they were developing and considering while Walt was alive ended up making it to the finished attraction, so IMO, the Haunted Mansion was certainly the first post-Walt ride. With that, I'd have to say the Haunted Mansion is the best post-Walt attraction.

But still, if HM is disqualified from this discussion, I have to go with one of the following: Space Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure, Splash Mountain, or Tower of Terror. Of course, all of these have one glaring problem - that they aren't particuarly family-friendly as they are all thrill rides... but I don't think that Walt wouldn't have dismissed these attractoins - afterall he saw the Matterhorn through completion, and he was interested in the early stages of Space Mountain's roller-coaster-in-the-dark concept.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood
    I'm going by different forms of rides

Dark ride with Water Elements: Splash Mountain
    High-tech thrill ride: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Attraction featuring a new film format: Soarin' over California
    Dark ride with movie tie in: Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin or Monster's Inc
    Kind of interesting, but I feel in terms of relations to more Fantasyland rides, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin combines guest control and a popular movie from a more recent period. And in terms of higher quality and new effects, I think Monsters, Inc is a really good ride that entertains, and appeals to all. Although the exterior is another question.
    Out of control elevator-type attraction: Tower of Terror
    I agree with your post for the most part - although I will have to disagree with the Monsters Inc for best new dark-ride. Although its a noble effort and a fun new ride... I'd have to say Buzz Lightyear is still better - the rider-interaction is unparalleled for any ride.

I think The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye* are probably a tie for high-tech thrill ride. Although Indy's queue totally owns Tower's (although the boiler room is quite nice )

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345