Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

DCA's New Gate isnt a clone

So, after they uncovered the new gate for DCA last Saturday I decided to see how it stood up against the one in WDW. I also cross referenced the actual Pan Pacific Auditorium gates they are based on. I was surprised to see that they actually aren't like the Disney-MGM gates at all.

Some people have been upset that we are getting a clone of the Disney Studio entrance, but they shouldn't be...we're not.

Clearly the intent of the Florida gate was to invoke the Pan Pacific, but the top bend is too squat, there are too many loops in the "flag holder" part, The original didn't have neon, and the shape is wrong, being more cylindrical instead of wing shaped like the original; even the color is all wrong. At best the gates of the Disney Studios could be said to be reminiscent of the Pan Pacific.

Name:  D--lp-gen-Media-A20110114-01--335_1024_768.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  139.1 KB

Now the DCA gates are a different story. They are almost an exact duplicate of the original Pan Pacific entrance. The top spire is in the proper place, there is the right number of "flag holder loops", it has the wing shape, and there's no neon, which means it will most likely be lit like the original. Obviously there are changes, the color is more in tune with the Disney-MGM version (pea green probably wouldn't look right), the back part has a natural end instead of blending into a structure, and of course its scaled down.

Name:  Xanadu_Danny_ext.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  95.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0006.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  93.2 KB

I, for one, am thrilled! I think the original structure is nicer than the version they did for WDW. It has cleaner, simpler lines and I love that they kept the wing shape. It makes more sense that a park devoted to California should get the definitive version of a California structure

So don't worry about it being a clone, it wont be.
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

• Dream in wonderful color!

Re: DCA's New Gate isnt a clone

You're right, the DCA entrance will not be identical to the Studios entrance. This was discussed in the DCA Tracker but it probably deserves its own thread since many do not check the tracker daily.

Here's two more pictures of the still-under-construction DCA entrance (photos by Macro)

06-18-11 - recursivemacro's Photos
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Nice work, guys. I don't check the tracker thread daily so it's nice to see this bit of info.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I agree this one looks closer to the Pan Pacific's design then WDW's. However it still doesn't fully match. The PP's wall extends up to the 3rd loop/ring where DCA's only goes to the 1st. Not saying I don't think it looks great cause it sure does. I am glad it isn't a clone as well as the Carthay Theater.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    I agree this one looks closer to the Pan Pacific's design then WDW's. However it still doesn't fully match. The PP's wall extends up to the 3rd loop/ring where DCA's only goes to the 1st.
    Oh you mean the back wall! Good catch, its not a big deal though....you probably dont want to cover the view of the park too much. Plus with no building attached to the wall, a high back might look weird.
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

• Minion

Stunning! Can't wait for the rest of Buena Vista Street to be complete. Also, just imagine how great it will look with the large planters flanking these new turnstiles. I really like the direction DCA is going.

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    Oh you mean the back wall! Good catch, its not a big deal though....you probably dont want to cover the view of the park too much. Plus with no building attached to the wall, a high back might look weird.
    No not a big deal at all. Looks awesome as it is! The retro design is great! I see what you mean by the wall blocking the views.

• Minion

I really like the look of the new entrance. Those Pan Pacific art deco structures bring back many good memories of the original ones. Still, I feel that Disneyland and DCA ought to be a one park/one gate park, like EPCOT is. If that's ever done, maybe these structures could be moved over and new ones constructed as the entrance.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    I really like the look of the new entrance. Those Pan Pacific art deco structures bring back many good memories of the original ones. Still, I feel that Disneyland and DCA ought to be a one park/one gate park, like EPCOT is. If that's ever done, maybe these structures could be moved over and new ones constructed as the entrance.
    You're gonna have to help me out here cuz I don't understand what you mean by the bold.

• Banned User

DCA's entrance is still like WDW's version. I don't see the point of this thread. Maybe there are differences, but my eyes will not notice.

They should have went another route. I don't know why they selected something so similar. Maybe they are into franchise concepts. I would hate for them to fix Paris' version by one day adding a Pan Pacific entrance.

Of course, there are still rumors they might change DCAs name. Will it be a Studios park?

Another subtle difference is that in WDW, the Pan Pacific tower things are the ticket booths. The actual entrance turnstiles are a little ways past them.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

So its not a clone in execution, but its a clone in concept.

I still look at it and see DHS!

You can nit-pick all you want (flag loops, the back wall, turstyle location) but this is, i suppose, an example of One Disney.

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Quote Originally Posted by dubiousendeavors View Post
    so its not a clone in execution, but its a clone in concept.

I still look at it and see dhs!

You can nit-pick all you want (flag loops, the back wall, turstyle location) but this is, i suppose, an example of one disney.
    this!
    DL Trips: '78, '84, '89, '90, '91, '96, '03, '06, '07(x2), '08, '10(x2), '12
    DW Trips: '08
    International parks: Some day...

• Minion

i really like the color on the new entrance if they re did WDW with the same color they would would look great other then that my vote goes to DCA just because it's newer and has cleaner lines then WDW. But to make the one in WDW just give it a bit of TLC

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• let's talk Disney, okay!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    i really like the color on the new entrance if they re did WDW with the same color they would would look great other then that my vote goes to DCA just because it's newer and has cleaner lines then WDW. But to make the one in WDW just give it a bit of TLC
    Lines are cleaner? Just because the trim is thicker doesnt mean the lines are cleaner.

they are equally clean.

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast