• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

are you a Fanatic or a Purists when it comes to Disneyland?

It seams to me in reading others thoughts that their two types people who hang around Micechat and other Disney message boards.
    First we have the fanatics, who really donít care about the little things like the upcoming revamp of POTC, too many cartoons based rides, Nemo in TL and other things like that.

On the other side we seem to have the Purists, who want to keep everything just like Walt had them, or how Walt would have had them. This camp is dead set against t many changes that would go against the way there view of the original park was set up.

I would put my self in the fanatic camp as I am not upset at all about some of the changes in the park at all. I like the idea of the upgrades in POTC; I like CDA even if it is not as good as DL. (But what is) I guess the little things just donít matter to as much to me as they do to some people.

No one is wrong for there views, but we do have fun arguing about them; I guess the bottom line is both groups need each other. I know I need people to tell me that we need to keep some things the same, and at the same time change is good and I will have no problem telling others that.

So the big question is are you a Fanatic or a Purists when it comes to Disneyland?

Bob

• Infinitized!

Re: are you a Fanatic or a Purists when it comes to Disneyland?

I'm neither. I'm an addict. The place is like drugs. Once you've been there, you got to have more...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

TahoeBob--this is a very engaging question. I, like Barbossa, am an addict, but I'll err to the side of fanatic. I'm far away from the parks, so the mere fact that I'm there and away from here takes more importance and leads me to that conclusion.

Good question!

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• See you there!

I don't think I am either, and I don't think the addict describes me either.

I have enjoyed Disneyland for 50 years (yep, I've been going since 1955) and over the years there have been changes that I like and some that I don't like, but overall I find that there is more there for me to like than dislike. The biggest change I don't like is the fact that I will never see Walt wandering the park again.

When DCA was first put in I subscribed to the Universal-Pike-Berry Farm description. But as I spend more time there I like it more. I've found places I like to relax and watch the world go by.

Back to Disneyland, well as the years have gone by, I do less riding, and more relaxing and watching the world go by. Tourists are so very interesting.

So, I feel that I am not a Fanatic, not a Purist, or not an addict, maybe I am an escapeist, for that's what I do there. I escape from the rest of the world as best I can.

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 12-02-2005 at 10:06 PM.

• no flash photography...

I don't think I'm either one. i don't care what changes in the park, but I also don't see the park as the all mighty happiest place on earth filled with pixie dust and magical moments. (thats a very effective marketing compaigne.) It's a theme park. A well designed and planned theme park, but it's only a theme park. I like it because it's well maintained and clean and I feel resonably safe there, but all the talk about magic moments and how the magic happened on my last trip is silly IMO. If magic means I had fun...well, I get that wherever I go. If magic means someone bent over backwards to kiss my backside...well that does not make me feel special and I don't expect that anywhere I go......so I'm not sure what camp I'm in...LOL....I don't think I'm fanatical enough to be a fanantic and I KNOW Im not a purist...change is good....LOL

• Small Projects Team

I'm a purist, but not necessarily to Walt's Disneyland. I just want things to be the same from when I was a toddler. Ya, I kinda hate the cartoonization, but I can live with it.

• Minion

I'm a purist .. only in the sense of Walt's sensibilities that he laid root for Disneyland.

Times change, economics change, people change .. etc .. etc ....

But as long as Walt's fundemental/basic philosophies on how to create a theme park remain intact ....... I'm happy with "Disneyland will always change, grow, evolve as long as theres imagination left in the world".

Those philosophies remained intact after his death .. leading into the early 80s. And even with Eisner ... some terrific changes happened in his first decade with the company (1984-1994).

But those ("purist") philosophies have been pushed aside with projects dating from 1996 to the present.

It's not difficult to see beyond "the thin curtain of disguise" with such projects as Walt Disney Studios Paris, DCA, TL98, etc ............ and as a purist ....... I will get "mad as hell" ........ and hope my voice is heard .. as it pains me when they just build "anything" with the Disney label on it.

I'm not so goo-goo-gah-gah over anything .. And "no" .. DCA is not "growing on me" ...... I want to see some of those (purist) philosophies flood the gates of that 55 acre parcel known as DCA so I can proclaim a "Quality will-out" (purist line from Walt) park.

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

I am in the middle cause I think change is good but sometimes they go too far.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

I agree completely with Escape. I don't think I could have put it any better... except DCA is slowly growing on me. Slowly.

I honestly think that my dislike for DCA stems from the purist side of me longing for the old parking lot, and the old trams, and the old ability-to-walk-from-your-car-to-the-front-gate feeling (and yes, I know about the path from the structure to Downtown Disney).

I'm not trying to make this an anti-DCA thread - the parking lot thing is just an example. I just miss some of the nostalgia that has recently gotten replaced by non-nostalgic things.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I could go either way, depending on the quality of the
    end result. The Haunted Mansion Holiday is terrific,
    as are the modifications to the Jungle Cruise, happy
    that Star Tours was added to TL (of course update
    is needed desperately) and thankful for Indy in AL.

Tarzan Treehouse is a mixed bag, I like the addition
    to the Treehouse with the suspended bridge, but unless
    a meet and greet Tarzan is there, I prefer the magic of
    the tiny details of what was the Swiss Family Tree.

As for Pooh in Critter Country ~ UGGGGGH!!!!!!!
    Some detail on the outside of the building such as the
    dripping honey just DON'T and never will FIT in
    Critter Country ~ I miss the Bears and Max Melvin and
    Buff VERY MUCH! And can't but help but think how
    much more merry this whole area was with their
    Wonderful Christmas Show.

I do miss the Skyway and Subs, but slightly optimistic
    about the Finding Nemo theme.

I'm not too fond of Buzz, but do admit the astroblasters
    were an ok addition. But with TL that had hit rock
    bottom, almost ANY addition would seem welcome.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

i like CatDL's description. i'm an escapist, too.

if i have to pick one of the 2 choices given, i guess i'd say fanatical.
    <o>