Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments say WDW isnt that much better than DLR

Okay so I have talked to 2 different families that have just visited WDW and have said it isnt much better than DLR. They have all the same must sees and the ones that DLR doesnt have, they said werent even that thrilling. so why does WDW get all the attentuion. is it just because it is bigger?

• See you there!

Re: Comments say WDW isnt that much better than DLR

Quote Originally Posted by DCADude
    Okay so I have talked to 2 different families that have just visited WDW and have said it isnt much better than DLR. They have all the same must sees and the ones that DLR doesnt have, they said werent even that thrilling. so why does WDW get all the attentuion. is it just because it is bigger?
    For me WDW is a "vacation destination". Part of WDW is the sheer size and number of different things to do.

Yep, go to Magic Kingdom, do Disneyland kind of things, only more room to move around (except during parades, poor traffic control IMHO).

Go to EPCOT, interesting things in Future World, very interesting to talk to the exchange students from other countries working in the country pavalions. Stroll the World Showcase Promonade at night (reminds me of how Frontierland, NOS, ROA was in the evening before Fantasmic!

Go to DMGM Studios and I am reminded of Hollywood of days gone by, lots of nostalga there for me. Big band music down the Sunset Blvd area, other interesting attractions elsewhere. DMGM is the smallest, but still fun.

Disney's Animal Kingdom. Well, what can I say, I love animals, and DAK is a very good place to show off some wonderful animals. The enclosure where they have the tigers is phenomenal, you get to see the tigers up close and see them romp and play, wonderful.

And the resorts, Breakfast at the Polynesian (banana stuffed french toast, kona coffee and nector of the gods juice). Lunch, well, the Plaza Inn in MK, Tangerine Cafe in Epcot, or the Marakesh Restaurant in Epcot. Dinner, well Citrico's in the Grand Floridian, or Californial Grill in the Contemporary.

I've just named a few things that I like about WDW.

But all in all, DL and WDW are two different experiences for me. DL is kind of like home, I feel comfortable there. WDW is a break from the routine.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 12-02-2005 at 10:34 PM.

• Banned User

I am sorry but WDW's magic kingdom just sucks compared to Disneyland. It has a commercialized feeling and does not have the history and the nastalgia feeling that DL has. Even if you compare Disneyland to WDW, no matter how many rides and acres they get it will never beat Disneyland's concentrated form of the magic. In the end WDW is one big copy that fails to meet the high standards set by Walt Disney himself. WDW only gets the majority of the attention due to the size and the amount of people they can jam in there. It is all about money and WDW makes more money then the Disneyland Resort does solely because of its size. If Disneyland was as big as WDW it would make more money then WDW does and it would get the majority of the advertising. As it is Disneyland is not nearly as big as the magic kingdom in WDW and Disneyland is very close in attendance numbers to WDW's magic kingdom. I have a feeling Disneyland beat it this year though due to the fact Disneyland has been filled to the brim since May 5th and has never died down.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 12-02-2005 at 11:15 PM.

• Banned User

It's Where You grow up. Most everything in disneyland is at WDW though some of the rides may be in the other parks(ex Star tours). Personally I like disneyland better because you don't have to take a monorail,car, or bus to get around, It's all there. Also some things are better at disneyland (small world,pirates,) and others are better there(peoplemover, hotels,Epcot, TOT, and rock'n'rollercoaster) So it just depends. WHen I visited there was a guy who said he hated disneyland and that it was just awful(and he is telling that to southern Californians). It's personal perspctive. I think WDW is Okay compared to disneyland But it's main plusses are epcot and animal Kingdom and the waterparks. If they didn't have those parks there really is no point to visiting there if you like disneyland.
    Ps their magic Kingdom doens't have a matterhorn, small world is hidden in a building and pirates is shorter(by a third) not to mention that there is no Indiana Jones ride whatsoever(there is a show)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by inav
    It's Where You grow up. Most everything in disneyland is at WDW though some of the rides may be in the other parks(ex Star tours). Personally I like disneyland better because you don't have to take a monorail,car, or bus to get around, It's all there. Also some things are better at disneyland (small world,pirates,) and others are better there(peoplemover, hotels,Epcot, TOT, and rock'n'rollercoaster) So it just depends. WHen I visited there was a guy who said he hated disneyland and that it was just awful(and he is telling that to southern Californians). It's personal perspctive. I think WDW is Okay compared to disneyland But it's main plusses are epcot and animal Kingdom and the waterparks. If they didn't have those parks there really is no point to visiting there if you like disneyland.
    Ps their magic Kingdom doens't have a matterhorn, small world is hidden in a building and pirates is shorter(by a third) not to mention that there is no Indiana Jones ride whatsoever(there is a show)
    They dont even have the Indiana Jones show anymore.

• See you there!

Through the years I have seen this same debate, over and over, and over. It always comes out the same.
    Disneyland is better - No, WDW is better - No, Disneyland is better, - No, WDW is better.

Well, I have come to the conclusion that some things are better (to me) at Disneyland, and some things are better (to me) at WDW. I like both, but for different reasons.

It's kind of like saying that Prime rib is better than a T-bone, or a T-bone is better than Priime rib. I like both, but for different reasons, and I'll order either depending on what I want at the time.

To make a short story long. I beieve that we should enjoy each for it's own uniqueness (I do). I enjoy Walts little park because, well, I've been going there since 1955, and even back then I went at least once or twice or three times per year. Back then it was commando style, (see everything, do everything, twice if possible). Well, now I can't keep up with my younger self now, so I just have a relaxing time and do my favorites, or what interests me at the time.

On WDW, well, I have been going there once a year (for a vacation) since 1994. I've only missed a couple of years, but some years I have gone twice. When we go, we stay a minimum of 7 days, and usually we stay 12 days. When I first started going to WDW, for the first couple of years it was again commando style (do and see everything, twice), but now I just go to relax and enjoy and do my favorite things and what feels good at the time.

This debate is kind of like the stay on-site, stay off-site debate that uesd to occur (maybe still does) on RADP. Some folks VERY strongly believe that WDW is better experienced by staying off-site, others (like me) feel it is better experienced by staying on-site (in a Disney resort).

I have come to a conclusion (for me) that they are both great, but for different reasons, so I will continue to enjoy both whenever I can and as often as I can.

CU@DL (and WDW!)

Andy

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I love both. I grew up on WDW, so it will always have a special place in my heart. To be honest, I never even wanted to visit DL until Dsnylndmom and I started talking about a Mom's Only trip. Now, I'm planning (or plotting, if you ask my hubby) to take my girls to Disneyland. I want them to experience both and frankly, it will be easier with the 3 of them at their ages to go to Disneyland because it's so much smaller and so easy to get from one place to the next and back to the hotel to rest. Plus, I have so many wonderful friends that I have met on my few visits there and one of the biggest draws making me want to go to WDW was that my Grandparents lived nearby and they don't any longer. So, to Disneyland we'll go in 2006 but not because I think it's better - I love them both and I feel the magic at both places. I have memories of so many things at WDW from growing up and now from DL from the last few years - none are better than the others.

• Disney Memory Maker

As much as people love to argue about this one (and I am one of them ), it all comes down to what park you live with/grew up with. Chances are, if you grew up with WDW and/or always go to WDW, then chances are you are going to like WDW better no matter what. (And the same goes with DLR).

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    They dont even have the Indiana Jones show anymore.
    Yes we do.

On a side note, this probably would have made more sense in the WDW forum (or MC should have a General Theme Park forum).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• that's right!

I really liked Disneyworld as a whole. It's a dream come true for most people on this board... spend a week or so without stepping off of Disney property or giving money to anyone but Disney. It really is a vacation destination, whereas Disneyland is to a lesser extent but you can do everything there is to do in 2 full days in the offseason.

As for Disneyland vs. the Magic Kingdom, though, I have to say Disneyland is much better. Two things at Magic Kingdom were better: Splash Mountain and Tomorrowland. Their Splash Mountain has better animatronics, leaves covering the ceiling so you can't see the lighting, and just seems a lot more solid than DL's. Their Tomorrowland is good because everything is moving, they still have the peoplemover, and I like their Space Mountain slightly more, because the queue is so cool, mostly.

However, other than those few things MK didn't do anything for me. The Castle is way too big (almost imposing, to be honest), the lands aren't separated by anything so you walk straight from Frontierland to Fantasyland without knowing it, and it seems like they tried to correct things that weren't really wrong with Disneyland in the first place.

• Classic Animation

You need to understand that there is a distinct California Culture surrounding DL. Californians have grown up there,dated there, worked there,bring their own children there. That type of culture does not surround WDW to the extent as it does at DL. I have known this for years, but it was very evident on the morning of July 17. We were in line at 4 am surrounded by many 'locals." The memories surrounding this culture were in the air. People were surprised we actually ventured from the east coast to celebrate with everyone else.
    Both places are magical and should be enjoyed for their differences.

• Koubu Pilot

I've only been to Disneyland. The only place I've been back east is N. Carolina.

I love Disneyland. Our family has made countless trips there. We live in Mesa, Az (east of Phoenix), so It's faster and cheaper to get a family there (6 1/2 hours of driving @ whatever it costs for gas). My mom works for Best Western, so can usually get a good deal off property. What's nice about DL is you can choose off property if you can't afford on property and still be walking distance to all the magic.

DL itsself is still big to me. It's nice to be able to turn into Avdventureland and hit Jungle Cruise, Indy, then Pirates and HM, completing the chain combo with Splash. Almost every attraction in DL is the original. Out of the rides cloned at DL, Space is great, Buzz is even better since they copied Tokyo's version, and Pooh needs help. There are still attractions unique to Disneyland (Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, Mr Toad) and DL is getting back the subs.

I'm sorry to say, I have no desire to visit WDW. The place I really want to go is Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea.

• Minion

I couldn't disagree more! I grew up with Disneyland and have many fond memories, but it doesn't light a candle to WDW. Disneyland is like a local theme park, filled to the brim with day trippers who care mostly about the rides and not about the magic. But at WDW, there are dozens of fanciful hotels and restaurants, excursions like firework boats, pirate cruises, treasure hunts, hayrides, and campfires. There are many more and interesting shows. With four theme parks and two awesome water parks, two amazing mini golf courses, several world class golf courses, and a nightclub center, including an Irish pub transported from Ireland complete with Irish music and Irish story telling, Cirque de Solei.... well, it's an entertainment mecca, wlhich attracts people who want to stay. The disappointing thing about Disneyland to me is the lack of imaginative hotels, restaurants, and amenities and there is little variety. The hotel pools at WDW are just amazing, as are the many hotel amenities., with so many different themes to pick from... inluding just camping at the most amazing campground I've ever seen. You can fish, rent boats, and parasail. AT WDW, you don't get the que (sp?) lines going through the attractions. It's prettier, with better landscaping, more fountains and no smog. I could go on and on... so, yes, WDW is MUCH better than Disneyland in so many ways, but that's not to say that Disneyland isn't good. Those of you on these boards that are most adament about how much better Disneyland is have probably never been to WDW.

• =)

Sters, by being adamant about how much better WDW is, you have just done the very thing you don't want others to do about Disneyland. Can anyone really assert that either resort is better than the other? Of course not. Askmike1 is absolutely correct--whichever park you start off with is the one you're likely to prefer. But that doesn't make one better than the other.

Each resort has its pluses. People who grow up with Walt Disney World are likely to enjoy its immersive enormosity, wide walkways, variety of entertainment options, and the almost-but-not-quite-overwhelming size of many of its elements. Those who grow up with Disneyland Resort are likely to enjoy its slightly local flavor, incredibly densely-packed plethora of entertainment options, originality, and nostalgic value. WDW is about large-scale immersion; DL is about small-scale charm. Is either BETTER than the other? Of course not! They simply appeal to different people.

Most (but not all) people agree that the Walt Disney World Resort is better than the Disneyland Resort, and that the Disneyland Park is better than the Magic Kingdom Park. I would tend to agree, but again--it's all opinion!

I hate these discussions because they usually shift our focus from what's great about the parks to what's better about our preferred park. Does it really matter which one is "better?"

• Banned User

WDW is bigger, has nice reasturants and shops, and has a better/less crowded atmosphere. However, WDW rides and attractions are nowhere NEAR as good as DL's. They dont have Indiana Jones, their railroad doesnt have primeval world/grand canyon, they have the old rickety space mountain, their POTC is a joke, etc.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I haven't even been to WDW (yet), but some of you folks are really really defensive about your neighborhood park. Take this:

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    It has a commercialized feeling and does not have the history and the nastalgia feeling that DL has. Even if you compare Disneyland to WDW, no matter how many rides and acres they get it will never beat Disneyland's concentrated form of the magic. In the end WDW is one big copy that fails to meet the high standards set by Walt Disney himself.
    DF, Walt planned the MK area of WDW and aside from some changes to the hotels it came out pretty much the way he had planned it. He just simply wasn't there to build the thing. But he specifically wanted something out in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a lot of ground so you didn't have a bunch of Jolly Rogers and Inn At The Parks and various bars hanging around just outside the berm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast