Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sad Are Sequels Hurting Disney Parks?

With the news that "Toy Story 4" may be in the works, I started to think: Are sequels hurting Disney theme parks and resorts? The same characters are coming back film after film, giving no chance for a breath of fresh air.

Over at DCA there are already attractions like Toy Story Midway Mania, a bug's land, Monsters Inc.: Mike & Sulley to the Rescue and the soon-to-be Carsland. All of which are movies that have or will be getting (a) sequel(s), minus "A Bug's Life".

So because the same characters always coming back, we don't really get new character faces around the parks and attractions based off of their films. (They sometimes do short engagements for newer characters, but did you really see Lots-O that much at DCA?)

I feel like things are going to be stagnant for a while until fresh stories are presented to Disney and/or Pixar. Hopefully "Brave" can hold it's own so we get to see new things in the parks!
    (Even little things like the "Wilderness Explorers Camp", based off "UP!", can be appreciated)

• Senior Minion

Re: Are Sequels Hurting Disney Parks?

Depends on how you define "hurting."

I've long felt that Disney is doing to Disneyland what Eisner did to animation with its DisneyToons division, cranking out endless sequels.

At Disneyland, jamming Jack Sparrow into Pirates, Pirates onto Tom Sawyer Island, Pixar kiddie toons into Tomorrowland and a toon Tarzan into the Treehouse all strike me as symptoms of advanced sequelitis: the habituated, chronic inability to break any creative ground that hasn't been broken before.

Is it hurting? Not Disney's bottom line -- the crowds keep clamoring for more.

Is it hurting Disney's reputation for excellence in theme park innovation?

I think the answer to that question is, "yes, but who cares?" Definitely not Disney, and certainly not the overwhelming majority of its every-increasing hordes of customers and fans.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-28-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Sequels are hurting creativity and entertainment. But I'm not above the fray, I still watch them.

• Minion

Brave doesn't look Pixar if you ask me.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I don't think it's hurting unless the films themselves are bad... but not really. Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 showed audiences that filmmakers CAN make great sequels. Cars 2 while panned by most critics is doing solid numbers and audiences polls give it good marks.

What sequels does is give audiences more of what they want. When they see Woody or Buzz in the parks, it's not because they loved that one movie. It's because they loved all three movies and the new cartoon short.

Sequels CAN hurt the Disney parks if they allow it to. But the key is to make great attractions regardless of how good the movie is. I truly believe that a Submarine Voyage based on Atlantis would have been INCREDIBLE. No, not disney's best film but highly action packed and fun, it would have made a great theme park attraction.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

What I meant to say was that I feel that "creating new stories" has been put on the shelf so Disney can tend to sequels. With the same things always there (I.E. Woody & Jessie in Frontierland), Disneyland has no growth since you can only have so many things based off of the same films.

I focus so much on the film aspect of attraction creation since I am failing to recall a recent attraction NOT based off of a character or movie. The only thing that sticks in my head are the Rocket Rods and the original handful of attractions over at DCA not to be based off films.

wait there is rumors of a Toy Story 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    wait there is rumors of a Toy Story 4?
    Yeah, Tom Hanks mentioned it in a recent interview with BBC and Tim Allen's contract is open for more movies.

• Banned User

Toy Story 3 ended perfectly, DONT keep it going Disney! Who am I kidding, they are probably writing the script right now!

• Johnny and Me!

Saw this on Blue Sky Disney:

Blue Sky Disney: The Pixar Plan...

• Banned User

Once a movie is a "classic", no amount of repetition can hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabejack View Post
    Yeah, Tom Hanks mentioned it in a recent interview with BBC and Tim Allen's contract is open for more movies.
    Contracts were never an impediment.

Tim has to want to do it. With the way his career is going, it is the only way to stay relevant. Same with Tom.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

What I meant to say was that I feel that "creating new stories" has been put on the shelf so Disney can tend to sequels. With the same things always there (I.E. Woody & Jessie in Frontierland), Disneyland has no growth since you can only have so many things based off of the same films.

I focus so much on the film aspect of attraction creation since I am failing to recall a recent attraction NOT based off of a character or movie. The only thing that sticks in my head are the Rocket Rods and the original handful of attractions over at DCA not to be based off films.

A great sequel is more beneficial than an original Brother Bear or Home on the Range any day.

I think it's too bad that the theme park division often seems like it's joint at the hip with animation. I think that's why Walt enjoyed Disneyland so much was that he could do whatever he wanted.

Now it appears is that Disney doesn't do whatever it wants but rather what it THINKS the people want.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    Saw this on Blue Sky Disney:

Blue Sky Disney: The Pixar Plan...
    I heard the same news on Sunday but the new with Tom Hanks broke yesterday. That article is dated from a week ago - I guess time will tell as more things begin to unravel.

• Nutty about Disney parks

With the news that "Toy Story 4" may be in the works, I started to think: Are sequels hurting Disney theme parks and resorts? The same characters are coming back film after film, giving no chance for a breath of fresh air.

Over at DCA there are already attractions like Toy Story Midway Mania, a bug's land, Monsters Inc.: Mike & Sulley to the Rescue and the soon-to-be Carsland. All of which are movies that have or will be getting (a) sequel(s), minus "A Bug's Life".

So because the same characters always coming back, we don't really get new character faces around the parks and attractions based off of their films. (They sometimes do short engagements for newer characters, but did you really see Lots-O that much at DCA?)

I feel like things are going to be stagnant for a while until fresh stories are presented to Disney and/or Pixar. Hopefully "Brave" can hold it's own so we get to see new things in the parks!
    (Even little things like the "Wilderness Explorers Camp", based off "UP!", can be appreciated)
    This sounds more like an over-Pixarification problem than a sequel problem which is understandable. After Carsland opens the number of Pixar films that will be represented in DCA will be 5. All other Pixar films might be featured in the animation building or in the Pixar-themed parades. Now it could be that the sequels might prove to be an advantage. Let's take Monster Inc for example. Once Monster Uni comes out Disney could also use it to promote the Monsters Inc darkride and get more people riding again.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    What about all the WDFA video sequels? And Pirates? God, I wish the Pirate film franchise would just die. I'm sick of seeing Pirate themed stuff everywhere outside of the ride. It makes the Princess franchise look less annoying and intrusive in concept.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Wrong. Flooding the marketplace with knockoffs is an excellent way to damage a classic brand, through a combination of over exposure, over saturation of consumer perception and, invariably, lowering the bar on the brand's creative freshness and quality. (Try watching some of the Drek-to-Video cheapquels that Disney cranked out in the last 15 year. Even Disney had to finally stuff a sock in their greed and dial down the output.)
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast