Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

1999 Disneyland Hotel-Near the End for the Original Disneyland Hotel

The photos posted below were all taken in 1999 just before the original section of the Disneyland Hotel was torn down and removed.

This first picture has an interesting juxtaposition. In the left foreground is one of the five original guest accomodation structures dating back to the very beginning of the Disneyland Hotel in October of 1955. In the upper background is construction of Disney's California Adventure which along with Downtown Disney would necessitate the removal of the original section of the Disneyland Hotel as well as the original Disneyland parking lot.

Here is another photo showing several of the original structures along with the restaurant wing of the original Disneyland Hotel in the middle left of the photo. Again DCA construction is visible in the top pf the photo.

Here is the last in this series of photos showing the original Garden Structures. Note the beautiful landscaping between the buildings. The buildings here were dubbed the "Oriental Gardens". The end was near for these original structures.

More notes and photos to follow........

• ...my first visit to DL

Re: 1999 Disneyland Hotel-Near the End for the Original Disneyland Hotel

I was somewhat disappointed one year when I booked a Thanksgiving weekend stay at the Disneyland Hotel a little late and wasn't able to get into one of the tower buildings - and had to take one of the Garden Villas. While not quite the same, it was neat to stay in one of the original hotel buildings - unfortunately I didn't appreciate it as much then as I should have. It was a rainy weekend, and so I couldn't get out to enjoy the patio as I might have, but it was fun anyway. Thanks for bringing back the memories, Don.

I may have already told the following story here before. My apologies if this is repeated. In 1995, we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and this was long before I contemplated on writing a book about the place. We checked in and proceeded to our room which just happened to be in one of the five original buildings. After entering, we noticed the strong smell of cigarettes in the room so my wife immediately called the front desk to request another room. They asked if we could wait about 15 minutes while they prepared a new room for us. I settled down on the bed and put on the TV completely oblivious to the historical significance of this particular room. As luck would have it, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was playing on the TV which just happens to be one of my favorite all time Disney movies. After the 15 minutes was up, we gathered our things and moved to our new room. I would give anything to be able to go back in time and stay in that room, cigarette smelling and all. I still remember the room's interior but only vaguely.

I promised to post more on this subject.

Here is an interesting photo which now explains why in 1999 the Monorail trip only went one way and not a circular route.

Below, you are looking at the last days of the Hotel Marina as it appeared from 1970 to 1999.

A view of the West side of the property again, just shortly before the Marina demolition.

• Minion

Wow! Very neat. I had no idea the Disneyland Hotel has gone through so many changes over the past 55 years. Thanks for all the info and I'm looking forward to more pictures!

• formerly very helpful

Nice. Thanks for sharing. I'll tell you, I was just there this morning. I have to say, I'm impressed with the changes they're doing now. Even though I miss the waterfalls, even the simple lawn they have now looks great. I can't wait to see the finished product of everything.

Here is a tangled mass of something as construction continues.

I believe this is looking down West Street.

• We Want The Redhead

Now Living in Eden Along The Lake Erie Shore In The Furthermost Reaches Of Western New York State

It's kind of hard looking at some of these without feeling a sense of loss and nostalgia, but i sure do value your sharing them here. I always look forward to your posts, and I'm happy to add to your rep points.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

I couldn't leave this thread on a sad note. Here is a picture of the original Disneyland Hotel in 1957.

In this picture you can see the Richfield service station, the Holidayland tent and Disneyland in the background. Oh what I wouldn't give to have a time machine and go back to this day!

---------- Post added 06-29-2011 at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    It's kind of hard looking at some of these without feeling a sense of loss and nostalgia, but i sure do value your sharing them here. I always look forward to your posts, and I'm happy to add to your rep points.
    What exactly are rep points? Thank you by the way for your kind comments.

• Nutty guy from Canada

Awesome pictures. I love looking at all these photos of the resorts history. Any place online with lots more that I can go look at?
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Planned Trips: DLR November 2015, WDW March 2018

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

• Banned User

Seeing these photos makes me heartsick, like looking at a deceased loved one's last several photos.

I could kick myself, because for a brief time in the mid-90s, I had sufficient free time to explore the hotel property and could have better appreciated it and savored my memories of it....had I only known it would be gone so soon.....

I guess that old Cinderella song was right - you don't know what you got 'til it's gone....

• Disneyland History Lover

Thanks for the great pictures and captions. I enjoy this sort of thing very much. And by the way, I think the Disneyland Hotel looked great in it's simplicity in the pre-DCA days.

My favorite place at the Disneyland Hotel.

---------- Post added 06-30-2011 at 08:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    My favorite place at the Disneyland Hotel.

If you will notice on the bottom Monorail Cafe picture, the Restaurant actually goes almost to the driveway. It wasn't always like that. In the early 80's, it was extended from its original location to accomodate more patrons. It was known as the Coffee Shop then but changed to the Monorail Cafe in 1986.

In this photo you can see plenty of sidewalk.

As a special bonus, here is a rendering/floor plan of the remodeled Coffee Shop. I should know the date.....I'll have to look it up.

I personally miss how the hotel looked before the DTD addition. The buildings with the shops as you headed towards the monorail station. Always loved that little toy store downstairs in there. I remember the smoke shop my dad would go to that also was a liquor store with some small snacks.
    Thanks for sharing these old photos. I loved walking the hotel grounds and now I really am not interested in doing so as it kinda lost it's magic and charm on me. But back then it was so much fun.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

The hotel use to be a destination in itself what with the marina and the shops and such. Now... not so much. Its always great when you share these old pictures and stories. I love seeing old pictures of things and seeing how they have changed over the years. Old photos truly are snapshots in history.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast