Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Carsland Virtual Flyby, watch video to see it!!

wow.......just I'm the only one REALLY excited about this land...I dont really like the movie but the land and rides seem better than what we've been getting

• Keepin' it calsteady

Quote Originally Posted by ChessurInWonderland View Post
    I'm actually glad you can't see the attraction, it allows for more theming. Main Street, U.S.A. is a land based on a long, straight road with no attractions.
    Main Street is a great example of not being able to see what's there. You can't see that there's an ice cream shop on Main Street until you're standing next to it, for example. That being said, Main Street serves its purpose well as a funnel to get visitors to the hub where they can then branch out and explore the rest of the park.

And that's the thing: Straight paths do a great job of pushing people forward, they don't build anticipation or offer any compelling views. Having curved paths builds anticipation for your final destination while carefully bringing additional sites to your attention by having them come into view one by one. Think about walking around Rivers of America from Frontierland over to Splash Mountain. You can see New Orleans Square as a destination, then specifically the entrance to Pirates, then there's Haunted Mansion around the bend, then Columbia and finally you make your way to Splash Mountain and Critter Country.

You see this throughout Disneyland, whether going around Big Thunder Mountain, or through Fantasyland to it's a small world or Toontown, or around the Matterhorn into Tomorrowland. The curved paths open up new worlds bit by bit and show them to you. A straight path encourages you to pass through and forces you to try to find things that should have been clearly shown to you.

I'm not an urban planner, but I think my reasoning is sound on this.

• Banned User

Actually I seen this flyover over a year ago on youtube. It was presented to reporters and one of the more known Disney websites posted it. It looks like the same one I saw except they added a little more color and music to it to make it a bit more exciting for the public.

I dont know, but I'm looking forward to this area a lot! Hell I dont even care about RSR that much, I just think this will be a great area to have! I mean, look at that mountain landscape, c'mon!!

And I think the reasons why others mentioned they dont want it because it looks barren and 'ugly' is why I DO want it! I dont feel every land has to represent some clean, sterile environment. I think thats why I like DAK so much, because it has lands that are suppose to be a little more dirty and rough compared to Future World in Epcot or Medterranian Harbour in TDS. I generally like to go to places like this in real life, although I never been to any of the route 66 areas, and having a dessert atmosphere is not represented in many Disney parks. TONS of city streets, studio backlots, forests, jungles, futuristic settings, countries, etc, but very few dessert environments. So its nice to see a land, even if its based on a movie, that isnt represented in other parks. Not CL per se, just the environment it portrays.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    wow.......just I'm the only one REALLY excited about this land...I dont really like the movie but the land and rides seem better than what we've been getting
    It's not just the attractions, it's the poor concept of the land. While we may be getting higher quality products due to budget increases, the theme and concept is very underwhelming artistically. The money could have been used better by creating immersive and lush areas such as a New Orleans Square, not a barren desert which depicts an ugly junkyard. Personally I think this is just as big of a blunder as Paradise Pier or worse.

I'll just wait for the real life walkthrough lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    It's not just the attractions, it's the poor concept of the land. While we may be getting higher quality products due to budget increases, the theme and concept is very underwhelming artistically. The money could have been used better by creating immersive and lush areas such as a New Orleans Square, not a barren desert which depicts an ugly junkyard.
    Which is why I'm hoping they do that with Hollywood Land and remove a bug's land for something better.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    It's not just the attractions, it's the poor concept of the land. While we may be getting higher quality products due to budget increases, the theme and concept is very underwhelming artistically. The money could have been used better by creating immersive and lush areas such as a New Orleans Square, not a barren desert which depicts an ugly junkyard.
    One day we'll get a land like that where Bugsland/the Timon Lot are but for me I REALLY like the Desert and Route 66...not really into Cars.

But for me the land seems like it will take you to Route 66 and at night...its going to be a beautiful land.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

One day we'll get a land like that where Bugsland/the Timon Lot are but for me I REALLY like the Desert and Route 66...not really into Cars.

But for me the land seems like it will take you to Route 66 and at night...its going to be a beautiful land.
    I hope you are right but judging from the art of the movie and on paper, the land is one big copy of the junky and grungy look of the movie with a facelift. I don't exactly consider orange cone buildings, gas stations, and basic brick structures to be impressive. To make matters worse, they made the land one big straight line instead of taking the time to make hidden pathways and intricate layouts.

• I'm a Lutheran

I think people shouldn't judge negatively until they see it in person.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    I think people shouldn't judge negatively until they see it in person.
    They said the same thing about Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage and look how that turned out. The reality of the situation is that if a concept is bad to begin with there is a very low probability of hitting something out of the park. I don't need to see something in person when the very idea of the project stems from copying a junkyard in a barren desert.

• Banned User

I agree with this and as I said, its BECAUSE its a desert that makes it great! And yes while the town doesnt take place in California, the desert environment IS a great match for a theme park about California. I mean I like Condor Flats, but its so small and not a TRUE desert theme people probably dont even notice since it feels more of a pathway to GRR than its own land. CL will change that dramatically.

And yeah the area at night should look amazing! I cant wait to see it! This area, PP and probably BVS will have the best night time atmosphere in the parks just like MS, NOS and FL does at DL.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I agree with this and as I said, its BECAUSE its a desert that makes it great! And yes while the town doesnt take place in California, the desert environment IS a great match for a theme park about California. I mean I like Condor Flats, but its so small and not a TRUE desert theme people probably dont even notice since it feels more of a pathway to GRR than its own land. CL will change that dramatically.

And yeah the area at night should look amazing! I cant wait to see it! This area, PP and probably BVS will have the best night time atmosphere in the parks just like MS, NOS and FL does at DL.
    While I agree the desert theme is a positive aspect, the street that is depicted in the cars franchise is underwhelming to say the least. They would have been better off creating RSR and surrounding it with a new land based on real cars and route 66; one that isn't limited by a straight layout, ugly buildings, and a movie.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 06-29-2011 at 08:43 PM.

• film975

What's funny about this computer animation is that it's not new. It was shown at last year's What's Next press event. I'm looking forward to walking around this place at night with all the neon lights on. Too bad they didn't release a computer model of that.

• Toad Hall

no i am very excited as well for this and it will bring greatness to DCA
    <font size=4> </font>

The biggest mistake that I see in this land that I really don't see people mentioning, is that there don't seem to be any trees. Trees, hedges, flowers all bring a lush cool environment, and just rocks and buildings create a very barren feel. Big, open street, long land, no trees, means a very unpleasant experience on hotter days. And, no, palms don't cut it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AMUSIX View Post
    The biggest mistake that I see in this land that I really don't see people mentioning, is that there don't seem to be any trees. Trees, hedges, flowers all bring a lush cool environment, and just rocks and buildings create a very barren feel. Big, open street, long land, no trees, means a very unpleasant experience on hotter days. And, no, palms don't cut it.
    Actually, John Lasseter has been a big advocate of bringing trees into the land. They weren't included in the fly-over because that is just used as a concept for how the layout of the land will feel when completed. When Carsland opens, expect plenty of landscaping and shade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast