Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• Larger Than (After)Life

Class Action Suit Filed Against Disney For Alleged Violations Of Disabilities Act

Two visually impaired annual pass holders at the Disney theme parks have filed a nationwide class action against The Walt Disney Company and its subsidiaries, which own Disneyland, Disney’s California Adventure, and Walt Disney World, alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act. On behalf themselves and others similarly situated, they seek to change various Disney’s policies which unfairly treat the blind.

Tampa, FL and Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) July 14, 2010 -- Cari Shields and Amber Boggs, two visually impaired annual pass holders at the Disney parks, have filed a nationwide class action against The Walt Disney Company and its subsidiaries which own Disneyland, Disney’s California Adventure, and Walt Disney World, alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act. On behalf themselves and others similarly situated, Mrs. Boggs and Ms. Shields seek to change various Disney policies which unfairly treat the blind. For example, they demand that Disney change its policy of not allowing costumed characters to interact with visually impaired guests who visit the park with their service animals. This policy is enforced even when Mrs. Boggs visits the parks with her fully-sighted children.

Mrs. Boggs and Ms. Shields allege other violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act. They are not seeking monetary damages, but only demand that Disney provide more reasonable accommodations for the visually impaired, such as portable Braille maps of the parks, areas to cage or leave service animals during rides, reduced or free admission for service aides, keyed rather than digital lockers, Braille menus in the park restaurants, and adequate lodging for service animal while visually impaired guests visit the park.

“Mrs. Boggs and Ms. Shields simply expect Disney to provide reasonable and fair accommodations to visually impaired guests who visit the parks, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act”, said their attorney, Andy Dogali, of the Tampa, Florida law firm of Forizs & Dogali, P.A. “The reasonable accommodations we demand will provide a more joyful experience for visually impaired guests in Disney’s parks, where visitors’ dreams are supposed to come true.”

The class action has been filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court of California. The law firms of Forizs and Dogali, P.A. and Eugene Feldman, Attorney at Law, represent the Mrs. Boggs and Ms. Shields in this class action. For any questions, please contact attorney Brian Hohman at (813) 289-0700 or Gene Feldman at (310) 372-4636.

------

Th entire complaint filing in PDF format can be read at:

http://www.forizs-dogali.com/pdf/037...0Complaint.pdf
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 06-30-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Add link.

• I'm not really here

Re: Class Action Suit Filed Against Disney For Alleged Violations Of Disabilities Act

Didn't know characters weren't allowed to interact with blind guests. Wonder why that is?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Class Action Suit Filed Against Disney For Alleged Violations Of Disabilities Act

Fair enough.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Mickey is not my Brother

Why dont they sue universal, knotts or six flags. There passes should be revoked

• Shubisha

Disney doesn't prohibit service animals from greeting characters to my knowledge.. The only "official" rule I know of is that the characters aren't supposed to interact with the actual animal, just the guest. And yet even that gets set aside usually. This picture just recently made its rounds online and backstage as a giant magical moment even though incidents like it are very common.. even moreso with "companion" dogs than "aid" dogs.

If Braille maps and menus are hard to obtain though, I'll give them that. The suit certainly has some credibility when it's seeking zero monetary compensations.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    Why dont they sue universal, knotts or six flags. There passes should be revoked
    I am sorry, but stating a guest should have passes revoked for wanting reasonable accommodations for a medical disability? That's not really on the up-and-up, to me.

And maybe they are like a fair amount of people here: they prefer Disneyland and like visiting, and don't visit other parks as much. Having issues at Disneyland must be frustrating to folks if they feel some basic needs are not met, I am sure.

• Senior Minion

Here we go again with the knee-jerk bashing of anyone who sues Disney, regardless of the fact that we don't have substantive information on the details of the case.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I'm not really here

Yeah, I'm all for this suit. If there are legitimate concerns for those with visual problems, by all means, let's get them fixed.

EDIT: I say that like I actually have any sort of a say. lol. I do think this will get taken far more seriously as it's not seeking money, just redress of issues.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

As long as there are no monetary $$$ involve.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Gooseberries and Apples

With the exception of the lockers and Braille print these demands will go on to help more than just the blind.

It will be interesting to see how Disney handles this. I hope the company ensures that the magic is accessible to all without the usual fussing and grumbling of the suits.

• Peaches and Dreams

how do you make a fold out map for blind people?

im somewhat seriously asking

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I saw this thread, and I immediately put myself into the shoes of a blind person. I can't imagine not being able to see, and I am thankful every day that I have my sight. I applaud the disabled blind people for having the courage to lead their lives, out in public. I'm not so sure that I would be that brave.

If the Disney themeparks are not doing everything that they should be doing for the blind, then I say, "shame on them". I hope that the problems are corrected for these two individuals, and for all other blind guests who visit Disneyland and the other Disney themeparks.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post

• Mickey is not my Brother

Disney cannot bend over backwards for every disability out there. Not all rides are able to riden by wheelchair bound guests. Yes it needs to be accommodating but there are those guests which will not be able to do all things offered.

• Gooseberries and Apples

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    If the Disney themeparks are not doing everything that they should be doing for the blind, then I say, "shame on them". I hope that the problems are corrected for these two individuals, and for all other blind guests who visit Disneyland and the other Disney themeparks.
    Truly.

Considering how much of the Disney experience is visual*, these two aren't asking for much at all.

*Though for many things there are descriptive tapes and Braille books one might use at the park.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast