• The one, the only...

Is there still no visible progress with the subs?

As many have joked about, there does not seem to be visible progress in the submarine area. I know that a lot could be happening behind the scenes, but the lack of visible progress is making me nervous. Why could Walt Disney built an entire theme park in one year, but to update one ride, it seems to take an eternity. All the ride vehicles are built. I know that they need to be cleaned up and refurbished, but the basic sub is still there. The track is still there. The new effects have already been tested and demonstrated. What is taking so long?

I read on another website that the few remaining Imagineers had leaped on the Sub update project to keep their jobs. It was the only game in town. Now I am beginning to think that "too many cooks in the kitchen" may be slowing down the progress. All they have to decide is where the special effects go. Could that take months? I can hear the arguments, "Now where are we putting Nemo again..."
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Re: Is there still no visible progress with the subs?

Grr, it bothers me too. I want to SEE progress!

I think the whole idea is that they don't want us to see progress. We all know progress is being made in some way or another, but the stuff that us, the fans, want to see probably wont start until they close/change rout for the monorails later in the year.

• Newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by rytheguy
    I think the whole idea is that they don't want us to see progress. We all know progress is being made in some way or another, but the stuff that us, the fans, want to see probably wont start until they close/change rout for the monorails later in the year.
    Do you think they'll install tarps to prevent guests from viewing the install of the new ride when they're ready?
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Exactly. You are not supposed to see how the Magic is made.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• The one, the only...

Maybe I am just anxious....

But I have to say that they are not concerned about "showing the magic" when they are renovating DCA. Construction is VERY visible there. (Maybe a little too visible because you can see the construction over the walls easily.)

I sure hope that they are making progress.

Remember how much that they spent on that model of Disneyland at the Opera house... When a few Imagineers climbed on board, with the overtime and cost overruns, it cost almost a million dollars. Sometimes a lot of money can be spent with not a lot to show for it. Remember Tomorrowland '98...
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I think we have our answer. Disney knows that with the monorails running, anyone can see the progress in the lagoon. Which is why I"m guessing the outdoor lagoon portions will be worked on once the monorail goes down as well.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Won't the Monorails be closing sometime in January?

• Still lost in Neverland

The reason you can see construction at DCA is there is no magic at DCA. It's all bare bones stuff. Only at Disneyland would they want to keep the Magic behind walls. After all Disneyland is pure Magic, DCA (As much as I like it) is not.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Why do you keep talking?

I'm also thinking it's much much easier to hide one ride as opposed to an ENTIRE PARK, especially one as DCA with it's many tall attractions and icons.

My guess is they are working on all the stuff and when the monorail goes down, the props go up.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• time to go

Cool Re: Is there still no visible progress with the subs?

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    As many have joked about, there does not seem to be visible progress in the submarine area. I know that a lot could be happening behind the scenes, but the lack of visible progress is making me nervous. Why could Walt Disney built an entire theme park in one year, but to update one ride, it seems to take an eternity. All the ride vehicles are built. I know that they need to be cleaned up and refurbished, but the basic sub is still there. The track is still there. The new effects have already been tested and demonstrated. What is taking so long?
    Sub lagoon needs big time TLC. So do the subs. Plus, WDC no longer wishes to hire a myriad of worker bees to shorten the project timespan; they'd rather hire half as many craftsmen, and take twice as long to finish. That way, the project's budget is spread out over several fiscal years, and not contained in just one. Much more cost effective to drag things out.

I read on another website that the few remaining Imagineers had leaped on the Sub update project to keep their jobs. It was the only game in town. Now I am beginning to think that "too many cooks in the kitchen" may be slowing down the progress. All they have to decide is where the special effects go. Could that take months? I can hear the arguments, "Now where are we putting Nemo again..."
    Yeah, I know the web site you're referring to, JCF. Same dude who claims Matt is heading for greener pastures in the future. Maybe he is, maybe not.

But that whole deal regarding the three execs on Nemo Subs needs to be taken with a grain of sea salt.

Tony has always been a part of this project; it's his baby, after all. The two execs who were added to Nemo Subs weren't exactly tacked on just to save their jobs. One exec actually replaced the project manager, who was removed for who knows what reason (at least I don't know why he was removed). And the second exec was supposed to be let go from WDI by now, according to the writer's ex-wife, who posted said info on her own message boards, back at the end of June. Who knows what the heck is going on now, regarding the second exec's role in this project, or his future employment with Imagineering.

This company is in such flux these days. Everything comes and goes with no predictability. The only thing we can be certain about, is that work is definitely continuing inside the show building, with the ride scheduled to open in 2007. Provided, of course, that nothing nasty rears up and bites their Imagineering behinds, a la Splash Mountain circa 1988.

• Minion

The subs are INDOORS... so naturally most of the fixes must be taking place inside the show room, a place that we can't see.

• Stop global whining!!!!!!

I betting on the Lagoon has nothing to do with the ride. I think they will put LCD or monitors, or some under water projectors that are like on the autopia ride line area with the three chevron cars shows. Make the subs shake and put a few misters, to feel like the sub sinking, find Nemo and we have a ride.

Visit me at: Gabriel Felton