• Minion

What's the deal with the Magic, the Memories, and You?

Just curious for my blog--how does Dland choose which pictures to show each night? How many pictures are from the actual day and how many are boilerplate? I assume they're all Photopass pictures? Anyone know?

Re: What's the deal with the Magic, the Memories, and You?

All I know is there the pictures from photopass photographers

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Just curious for my blog--how does Dland choose which pictures to show each night?
    They're chosen pretty much at random by the entertainment folks that day.[/QUOTE]
    How many pictures are from the actual day and how many are boilerplate?
    Generally, the Photopass pics are from that day. But people are able to submit photos on the website as well. Those get thrown into the mix. If you see a photo that doesn't look like it was from that day, it's probably a submitted photo from a previous day or another location. The ratio of Photopass and submitted photos truly depends on how many pics they get from each source.

Most of them are taken from Photopass and the rest are taken from what guests submitted online. About 500 photos are taken from Photopass each day - I know it sounds like a lot but most of the pictures appear for about 1 to 2 seconds. There are also segments with many, many photos appearing all at once.

The video clips are the same in every showing and the same one's used at WDW, like the little girl blowing out the (un)birthday candles - Those clips were put online by Park guests at the beginning of the "campaign". There you are able to share a quick story to go along with your photo/video and then be categorized by different tags, like "Magical Moment".

• DLR Cast Member

Doh, I completely neglected to mention aything about the videos in my previous post. Thanks ^

• Minion

Oh, awesome!! I didn't know you could submit via the website. Anyone know if they take the day's submissions and use them the next day? I've seen the show twice and you seriously have to video it and play it back in major slow-motion to see if you made it, but if there's a chance I could be on it via website submission, I'd tape it!

Oh, also, if they are going to use your Photopass picture, do they tell you in advance?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wannabejack View Post
    Most of them are taken from Photopass and the rest are taken from what guests submitted online. About 500 photos are taken from Photopass each day - I know it sounds like a lot but most of the pictures appear for about 1 to 2 seconds. There are also segments with many, many photos appearing all at once.

The video clips are the same in every showing and the same one's used at WDW, like the little girl blowing out the (un)birthday candles - Those clips were put online by Park guests at the beginning of the "campaign". There you are able to share a quick story to go along with your photo/video and then be categorized by different tags, like "Magical Moment".
    As I understand it, the promotion has kind of fallen flat. I doubt if they are actually getting the response they need to provide for a fresh show every night. I wouldn't be surprised if they just fill it mostly with generic stock photos mixed with whatever few responses they do receive. From a guest standpoint, it wouldn't really matter. Most people aren't part of the show and wouldn't know if the shows were "canned" and repeated every night.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Anyone know if they take the day's submissions and use them the next day? ...

Oh, also, if they are going to use your Photopass picture, do they tell you in advance?
    From what I read, I don't remember where since it was so long ago or I would have shared, they do not use other day's photos. (Unless, of course, a photo was in the show that day and was re-submitted to the website and chosen again.) I may be wrong about that though. I think they did it this way so it would kind of bring people in. Kind of like, "Let's see 'The Magic, The Memories and You' tonight to see if we made it" - I know I always wonder if I was projected onto "it's a small world" for everyone to see...

I don't think they tell you in advance, if you will be in the show, since the photographer has no way of knowing if you will be picked when the photo is taken. The people that choose the photographs go through them around 4p.m. and are looking for "the best". They look for a good looking picture: either showcasing a "magical moment", a funny pose or just some good looking family with Mickey.

As for notification, if you submitted online photos/videos, I am not sure... I don't think Disney would let you know if your material is being used. Each time you upload content you need to agree to the Terms and Conditions - Which include Disney's right to use your content. Maybe they only sent word out to the people who's videos were used in the television commercials.

Sorry to ramble, I hope this all made sense and could help!
    Last edited by wannabejack; 07-02-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

• Minion

Makes perfect sense, and thank you! Guess I'll spend a day getting every Photopass picture I can, and then taping the show to see if I made it!