View Poll Results: What would you like to see in place of BTR and FLT?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expansion of Fantasyland

10 23.26%
  • Expansion of Frontierland

13 30.23%
  • A new land

5 11.63%
  • An attraction from another Disney park

1 2.33%
  • Nothing, keep it the way it is

10 23.26%
  • I'm not sure

4 9.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fantasyland Theater: a necessity to DL?

I've been thinking lately about the Fantasyland theater and have been wondering whether or not it's worth taking up a big chunk of Disney real estate. I was looking on google earth and noticed that the theater is next to Big Thunder Ranch. I think that DL should consider this land for future attractions, or something better. They have two big areas that are taking up so much space, and i'm not too sure these attractions are popular. Frontierland expansion maybe? Any thoughts on this?

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Fantasyland Theater: a necessity to DL?

Unless they can fit in an attraction that occupies as many people as the plays do, I say keep the theater (though the style of the canopy could change and that would please me ). I don't care as much about Big Thunder Ranch, but both areas let Disney make seasonal changes to the property without snarling traffic like a parade. Without them I think DL would be a bit more stagnant. (Never mind that the theater has been sitting empty and unused for a while now; it COULD be used for even simple shows that would take a fair chunk of people out of the walkways for half an hour, which I'm very much in favor of, whether the show is good or bad.)

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Fantasyland Theater: a necessity to DL?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    ...I say keep the theater (though the style of the canopy could change and that would please me :P ).... (Never mind that the theater has been sitting empty and unused for a while now; it COULD be used for even simple shows that would take a fair chunk of people out of the walkways for half an hour, which I'm very much in favor of, whether the show is good or bad.)

Agreed.

I'd love to see a whole new land between Frontierland and Fantasyland too.
    But the theater should be a part of it. Even if it's demolished and rebuilt, all the Disney magic Kingdoms have a place for a big show: Disneyland's Fantasyland Theater, Magic Kingdom has Galaxy Palace Theater in Tomorrowland (plus Disney-MGM and Animal Kingdom have them too), Disneyand Paris has something in Frontierland (where they have a Tarzan show) and Hong Kong has the new Adventureland Theater in the Wild (similar to Animal Kingdom.) There should be a place for this kind of big stage show, even CA Adventure has the Hyperion. I think this is an important segment of the Disney theme park experience, the live "off off off Broadway style revues." Tokyo Disneyland may be the only place without this kind of theater. But they stage things in the hub, which is a big staging area. And Disneyland Paris also has the ampitheater beside the Chateau.

Building a roller coaster mountain would appeal to me more but would not take 10,000 visitors off the sidewalks for an hour like a big show does.

• Resident DL'er

I wouldn't mind the theater at all if they decided to bring back "Animazement!"

The theatre needs some major work to transform it into something decent. But, I would like to see Big Thunder Ranch give way to an expansion of Fantasyland that possibly connects to the backside of Mickey's Toontown where Gadget's Go-Coaster currenty resides.

Gadget's Go-Coaster is not a real Disneyland attraction.

There are several tunnels and bridges in that area backstage, so exactly how the western side of Fantasyland might connect with Mickey's Toontown does pose some questions. But, the situation might work with a pedestrian bridge for guests leaving the existing Mickey's Toontown and a railroad trestle for guests leaving the existing Frontierland.

There is an existing roadway that crosses over the Disneyland Railroad tunnel there that might also be used as a guest passageway.

• Disneyland Freak

There's no option in the poll for YES, THERE NEEDS TO BE A FL THEATRE. That gets my vote.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Minion

My vote is to keep the theater ... but they need to transform it into something that looks more permanent .. and they need to do away with the "wonder bra" canopy - which looks awful.

Disneyland needs one ..... just ONE "live theatre" type venue.

They had the Space Stage built into Space Mountain ... but they did away with it in favor of a 3D movie theater.

I think back at some of the best live entertainment shows I've seen at Disneyland.

* One Man's Dream way back around 1990. A GREAT show.
    * Beauty and the Beast
    * Pocahontas
    * Mickey's Nutcracker

Had the Hyperion theater in DCA been built in a way so that there was a seperate entrance ... the "DLR" would have had their "One" live-entertainment venue that covers both parks.

But since it takes a park-hopper or seperate "DCA" admission ........ DL will need to have at least ONE facility ........ and it AIN'T GONNA come out of the ground from some other land when extra space is non existant.

Unless the former "Festival of Fools" arena becomes their single "DL Theatre" venue ..... but I have a feeling that will some day be devoted to another Frontierland "E Ticket" ... which the land needs.

• Minion

ORDDU: The question posed, here, is really in 2 parts. The idea of keeping the Fantasyland theater is a good idea because there are still plenty of witches who enjoy the stage productions at Disneyland.

ORWEN: But the second question involves what to do with Big Thunder Ranch--and us Cauldron girls would like to see a new attraction for that chunk of land.

ORGOCH: Sure would! Why not a Frog Pond where folks could take turns doin' there best ta grab onta the biggest Bull Frog they ever seen!!!

ORDDU: Well, actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a kissing booth, myself. Or even a whole SERIES of kissing Booths--with all the most adorable Disney Hunks waiting to meet me inside. We could start with Prince Phillip and then move on to Aladdin and the Grand Finale could be my very own personal favorite man in a loin cloth--Tarzan!!!

• white and nerdy

rip it out and replace it with a blue-sky e-ticket... perhaps a fantasticly exciting and magical Lion King ride...

and while we are at it, put a glass dome over the whole resort to keep rain off the guests.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

DL needs a nice theatre, so unless there is another venue do not take it out. And for all those who want to some how work Fantasyland into Frontierland or even ToonTown into Frontierland I stand aghast. Frontierland has 1 attraction. 1. Uno. They have room to expand and you want to give it to Fantasyland or Toontown? #1, there is a major service road that runs to the right of BTR, so tunnels and walkways is a longshot. Toontown has room to expand. Fantasyland has some room and already quite large.

I say remove the theatre and expand the Opera House on Main Street to be the main theatre. There is a section of back stage room between the Opera House and TL, this could serve to make a large theatre venue. This opens up the area in Fantasyland for major attractions.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

You need the theater, people love being entertained, especially live entertainment! Disneyland wouldn't be disneyland without some sort of theatrical show, I say, create a new show, something amazing, animazement was the past, we need something new for the future!!!!! Keep the theater!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I always missed the SNOW WHITE musical when I've been in Anaheim, now I wished I had made a point of seeing it. I saw "Alladin" two or three times since it went in. Although these shows have a low repeatability factor for Annual Passholders, I bet they rate at the top of guest satisfaction surveys for out of town guests. I bet for a large number of these Disneyland-Hotel staying, we live in Kansas where there's no entertainment, this is our dream family vacation type guests, these types of shows really put the magic in the Magic Kingdom.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Oh and as long as all of the parks have these venues, they can run one show in Disneyland for a couple years, then move it to Orlando, then Paris, then Hong Kong. Tokyo Disneyland (owned and operated by Oriental Land Company LTD.) wouldn't be in the costume-exchange, I'm sure they not only want new costumes but all new shows for their parks.

But the Disney's Electrical Parade has been around the world a couple of times, I know the floats and costumes started out in Anaheim, went to Orlando and even over seas before returning as a new parade at California Adventure.

SIDE BAR: Is "Mickey's Philharmagic" going to make it's way West, if so will it be a Fantasyland attraction like in Magic Kingdom FL and HK DL or will they perhaps stick it in the Golden Dreams Theater at DCA. That building could be converted rather inexpensively and it is always 2/3 to 3/4 empty. And it could add a Disney revue to the only Disney park without Disney characters.

• ºoº Tom ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    I always missed the SNOW WHITE musical when I've been in Anaheim, now I wished I had made a point of seeing it. I saw "Alladin" two or three times since it went in. Although these shows have a low repeatability factor for Annual Passholders.
    I disagree. Perhaps Snow White lacks repeatability but Aladdin was designed for repeat visits. The Genie was given a lot of flexability in changing the material and in the almost 2 year run of the show he has been allowed to keep up with changes in our culture and it makes it fun to pop in and see what changes he is running with now.

The theatre in FL is great but as I suggested in another thread, its location is prime real estate for the expansion of FL, which desperatly needs room and an overhaul to contain the animated dark rides.

A theatre is a necessity but I continue to advocate moving the threatre to the area directly east of Main St and build the area up as a "London St"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

There was a time when Disneyland presented "name" entertainment. Perhaps there is no incentive anymore since the park seems to reach capacity pretty easily... and once you're inside all the attractions are free. (Stars don't come cheap!)

BUT:

Would you pay an additional admission to see a big-time star performer in the FL Theatre?

(This would involve assigned seating to avoid people having to waste half their day standing in line to get a good seat and blocking walkways.)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast