Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

I see this all the time at my company. people get promoted and more responsibility who don't deserve it. because maybe they saved a bunch of money by cutting corners wherever they can. Then after a couple of years they move onto a different department leaving a mess behind. Not only does this set back a company in the long run but it costs more money than a EXEC can see because the bottom line looks good in present day. Not to mention the customers are going to suffer from this as well. /facepalm

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Is it time to make T-shirts for everyone to wear to the D23 opening presentation... How funny would that be 100's of disney loyalists chanting No Meg NO.

• We Go On.

I don't think Disney is stupid enough to sell the parks, their biggest money makers. Besides, we're having our second D23 convention this year, the Disney Parks blog is being busily updated, and getting rid of the parks would ultimately just shrink the company. And why not just sell DVC or the cruise line first?

But here I say "Disney isn't stupid" as they promote a woman with terrible management issues.

• Closed Account

Why not. There were SaveDisney shirts. ANYTHING can help.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Yes, Iger has, as a matter of FACT, been in discussion with the Prince and Wall St. to sell off the parks or at least parts of them. I don't see how anyone never saw this comming.
    I did! I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru on 10/17/09
    Sometimes I wonder if that's not their long range plan. Build up the resort, let the AP's run it ragged, then sell the resort w/ its built-in customer base to Cedar Fair for an obscene amount of money. Then Disney can concentrate on running WDW, which they clearly consider their flagship, regardless of what they say in the press.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru on 2/12/10
    Call it "Flip This Park," if you will. Get DCA all neat and pretty, then sell it off w/ a built-in audience of 1,000,000 passholders. Once the sale goes through, they'll treat DL as a franchise like they treat the foreign parks. They'll collect a hefty licensing fee from the new owner while keeping enough of a financial stake to make for a low risk investment.
    And see this thread: DL Under New Management
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Closed Account

their biggest money makers.

<BUZZ> WRONG! It's ESPN! That network makes over half of the revenue earned by the Company because of all those ads. The parks make diddly as far the the BoD and Wall St. is concerned. Which is why they can't wait to unload them....

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    their biggest money makers.

<BUZZ> WRONG! It's ESPN!
    Noted.

Maybe the parks aren't the biggest money makers, but selling off Disneyland would be like selling the studios--Disneyland isn't just the flagship of DisneyParks, it is the flagship of the entire company. Without the parks, (especially Disneyland) we have no company. IMHO.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Lion

Yeah, I don't see how they are interested in selling the parks. Even if they aren't bringing in the kind of revenue of ESPN or the film studios or Pixar, they are still extremely profitable. But the biggest reason I can't see them doing it is the synergy aspect. Cross-promotions (Carsland, Pirates, etc) are big money makers. One drives the other (Cars films drive people to DCA for Carsland, Carsland drives merch sales, and so on).

I can't see Disney wanting to let go of that kind of cross-market (theme park + film + television + merch) profitability. Disney as a name makes money because of its "family" oriented entertainment cache. Losing the theme parks would be a huge step backwards for them.

I've heard these "Disney wants to sell the parks" rumors for literally decades. It seems to crop up every now and then. I don't see how that could be in the company's long term or even short term interests.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Oriental Land would not buy the entire disney chain of resorts , they are unfortunately not in the position to do it ... not enough cash flow or cash on hand. So lets put OLC To rest for buying parks and resorts..

I find the concept of disney selling the parks highly unlikely given the synergy tie in but if they did sell

it would have to be to a huge investment group like blackstone a group of investors maybe from china or the middle east

on the topic of meg I have heard nothing but bad things for years and this is what scares me , lets hope disneyland can keep being disneyland . Perhaps we already have already seen a start with the end of disneyland grad night in 2012.... Lets hope it wont be the deteriation of disneyland I can only go through that once with pressler/harris

• Minion

So what will happen now that she's in charge?
    You'll have to rent a boat to ride through Pirates?
    World of Color will be reduced to World of Purple?
    Matterhorn Bobsleds will become Matterhorn Luge?
    Minnie will have to move in to Mickey's House?
    Twilight Zone Tower of Please Use the Stairs?
    Grizzly River Run becomes a walk-through?
    Haunted Mansion slowly becomes clean and dustless?
    The First Aid center is just a vending machine for aspirin?
    Toy Story Midway Manic-Depression?
    Tinkerbell just stands atop the Matterhorn with a sparkler?
    Peter Pan's Flight charges for checked baggage?
    A turkey leg becomes a chicken wing?
    You have to walk to the Mickey & Friends parking structure?
    The annual pass is only good March 3, May 7 and November 18?

• Cunning infiltrator

Seriously! Disney hired the wrong people for the job.

From laughingplace.com

Major Disney Parks and Resorts Reorganization Announced

Over the past several months, I’ve spoken with many of you about the incredible set of competitive strengths Walt Disney Parks and Resorts enjoys – the tremendous power and reach of the Disney brand; our fantastic creative content and expertise; our ability to harness new technology and innovation; our cultural commitment to quality; and our extraordinary cast. These strengths are remarkable assets. Nonetheless, we must continually seek to further leverage, develop and expand on them. To do so, our organization must be integrated, nimble and structured in a way that maximizes our ability to:

• Understand and productively engage with consumers;
    • Design and create unique and relevant experiences;
    • Flawlessly deliver these experiences to our guests; and
    • Provide the resources, support and shared best practices necessary to operate effectively and in concert across all our businesses.

Today I am announcing the next step in what has been an ongoing journey toward creating a fully integrated global organization. These changes will leverage the talent of our leadership team, support our business priorities and ultimately enable us to better achieve our business goals.
    Our operations teams are well-known for delivering an unparalleled guest experience that reflects the high expectations of our guests. It is important that we structure our operations leadership team to help ensure that we remain relentlessly focused on providing a consistently excellent experience for our guests across all our businesses.
    To that end, I have asked several of our talented leaders within operations to take on additional responsibilities:

• Meg Crofton will now serve as president, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations, U.S. and France. Reporting to Meg in her new role will be George Kalogridis, president, Disneyland Resort, and Philippe Gas, president, Euro Disney SAS. Meg also will maintain her current responsibilities as president of the Walt Disney World Resort. Meg’s strong leadership abilities and broad experience make her the perfect person to lead resort operations in our established markets in the United States and Europe. Meg will report directly to me and become a member of my executive committee, allowing us to continue the great work of sharing best practices and leveraging our operational expertise across our properties. Meg understands and respects the unique heritage and characteristics of each of our theme park resort locations, which gives me great confidence in her ability to fulfill this role while preserving and enhancing what makes each of our properties so special in their own right.
    • Bill Ernest, president, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations Asia, will continue to oversee our operations in Asia, including Hong Kong Disneyland, Tokyo Disney Resort and Shanghai Disney Resort. With work beginning on Shanghai Disney Resort, the expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland and the critical support efforts needed in Japan, Bill’s concentrated focus on Asia is crucial to our success in this market.
    • Reporting to Meg and Bill on a dual solid-line basis will be Jeff Vahle, executive vice president, Facilities Operations Services (FOS), and Erin Wallace, executive vice president, Operations Integration. Erin’s team works to consolidate creative, strategic and technical expertise for operations into a single organization responsible for enhancing our ability to optimize guest satisfaction, revenue and intent to return. Jeff’s team works to drive design, process, system, manufacturing and procurement efficiencies, and focuses on major initiatives such as guest and cast safety and preventative-maintenance processes. Jeff and Erin have done a terrific job evolving their organizations over the past two years, which allows us to formalize this integration across all global businesses and further develop their support for our businesses around the world.

To integrate revenue management across all operations and create a strategic connection between revenue-based lines of business, Erin will take on the responsibility for Revenue Management with Kevin Lansberry, senior vice president, Revenue Management and Analytics, reporting directly to her.

• Karl Holz, president, New Vacation Operations and Disney Cruise Line, will take on a leadership role for Disney Vacation Club, in addition to maintaining his responsibility for Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and Aulani. Karl will be responsible for creating consistent and engaging guest experiences as they expand to new markets and destinations outside the berms of our theme parks. Jim Lewis, president, Disney Vacation Club, who has helped establish DVC as a highly successful and strategic part of our business portfolio, will continue in his current role, reporting directly to Karl. These operations are an important driver of growth in our segment and a critical part of our efforts to build upon and broaden Disney’s reputation for delivering magical experiences to our guests, both inside and outside the berm. As part of our reorganization, Karl will report to me and also become a member of my executive committee.

Our understanding of consumers and our interface with them is critical to our success. Between our marketing and sales organizations, we seek to understand and engage consumers through insight research and effective, compelling communication. To further these goals, Sales and Marketing will now be aligned under the leadership of Leslie Ferraro, executive vice president, Global Marketing and Sales, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Leslie’s strong creative instincts and consumer-centric orientation are tremendous assets to the segment and they make her particularly well-suited for this expanded role. Randy Garfield, executive vice president, Worldwide Sales and Travel Operations, Disney Destinations, and president, The Walt Disney Travel Company, will now report to Leslie in this newly integrated function. Randy has unmatched experience in all aspects of sales and a deep knowledge of our guests. By bringing together these two world-class organizations, we will expand our understanding of consumers and our relationships with them and increase our ability to convert consumers into guests.
    The Walt Disney Imagineering, Business Development and Next Generation Experience teams will continue their focus on identifying, designing, creating and enhancing the great guest experiences that define our segment. HR and Diversity & Inclusion, Finance & Global Business Technology Strategy, Legal and Public Affairs will continue to provide our entire organization with the resources, information, tools, guidance, strategic and analytical insight, and support that is vital to effectively managing our business. The leadership and reporting relationships of these groups are unchanged by today’s announcement.
    I am proud of the amazing accomplishments of our organization and look forward to the exciting journey ahead with this talented team of leaders. Please join me in congratulating Meg, Karl, Leslie and Erin on their expanded roles.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Totally honest here: bad decision for WDW and DLP? Yes. Oh my god, she's gonna ruin them (in WDW's case, continue to), but Disneyland is safe, there's just too much goodwill and higher-ups with the respect for it, and the local factor also comes into play. So much has seemingly been stacked in favor for DL in the long-run, that I can't see her doing too much damage.

Maybe when it comes time for DCA's Phase II expansion, but when we get to seriously discussing that who knows if she'll be on her way out the door?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    There are some pretty serious rumors on laughingplace that the board of directors are pressuring bob iger to SELL the parks. Iger and tom staggs were spotted recently touring WDW with a saudi prince and a reliable insider is saying that they originally were planning to sell the parks in 2008 but they couldn't find any serious buyers when the stock market exploded.
    If this happens I might have to stop going to the parks or buying the movies/merch anymore on principle. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if a die-hard fan got a citizens arrest warrant started for Bob Iger if this happens. I would sign it. Tell Bob Iger he will only be released if he agrees A) not sell the parks (now or ever), B) invest in keeping attractions in pristine condition.

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    If Tom Staggs were to get boo'd at D23, that would by far be my Disney highlight of the year.
    I only see this happening if A) he is there and B) he mentions Meg Crofton (who is really the one that needs to be booed).

Speaking of D23 Expo, do they have any Q & A sessions? If yes someone needs to ask Iger about the potential selling of the parks!!!
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Lasseter has become Disney's "golden boy" in the past few years and he has also been spending a lot of time at the Disneyland Resort. I don't think John would let Disneyland get into a state of disrepair, as he takes great pride in the Resort and the Company.
    John Lasseter, lets just remind everyone was heavily involved in the concept for Toy Story Land. You know that ugly industrial looking thing at the Paris Studios and soon to be coming to Hong Kong. He only care's about placing his own ideas and creations inside the parks. He has no love for the parks or he would of never been involved in TSPL.

On the subject of Meg. I see a lot of people in this thread blaming her single handed for bringing down WDW. She hasn't done it alone and Al Weiss is just as much to blame for the decline. Maybe now she's out of Mr Weiss shadow she can finally prove herself to be a capable Disney exec with a passion for the Parks. That however needs to be seen to be believed. And right now she has a long way to go in proving she is the right candidate for the job. Personally I don't hold much hope. That said is she really any worst than Al Weiss and can George put her in line with his planning and vision. Or how long will it be until he's moved out the way again and sent back to Paris. And talking of Paris this just further adds to the problems this Resort is facing. What Meg is to WDW, CEO Philippe Gas is to Disneyland Paris. Here is an exec that since taking over has cutback on hours with 6:00pm closings at both parks. Ripped out both the Lion King and Tarzan shows. And gave the thumbs up for them to build TSPL. And despite all the maintenance now finally going on at the park. So much else continues to fall in disrepair that the job will never be up to date. Only when something like Captain Hook's Pirate Ship needs to be re-built will Disney pay out for the maintenance. Philippe has a similar background to Meg and I'm sure both share the same lack of vision for the Parks. Bad times ahead in Paris. But you only have to see the 50% off deals that drop into my e-mail box, to know the place is performing really badly.

And in regards to Disney selling off the parks. I really hope this is not true. As frustrating as the current Management can be at all times. The Parks could be so much worst in the wrong hands. Poor decisions or not Disney the majority of the time know how to opperate the parks.

Dusty you seem to be the leader in this campaign to show our anger over the Meg promotion. Whats next???

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast