Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

If you guys make shirts for D23 expo that are in the vein of "fire Meg Crofton" or "Give George K Meg's high position" or something, please find a way to get the wod out to people that aren't on these forums. I've already started texting/emailing my friends that are huge Disney fans, former College Program CMs, etc.

This is scary. I might have to be fighting 2 (potentially) losing battles as a fan, the save Disney Parks fight, and the Save Stargate (science fiction in general) fight. Please to the love of Walter Elias Disney, either get rid of Iger before he makes more boneheaded moves, or at least give him a change of heart so we no longer have to worry.

Here's an idea, we all know that we need a creative person to runt the Walt Disney Company (a la Walt Disney). Luckily there seems to be 1 very strong candidate as someone who is ab artist, film maker, and has a vast love of the parks. If you haven't guessed already I am referring to none other then John Lasseter. I know many of us have mixed emotions regarding him, but I think he is the strongest candidate and beacon of light for the future of the Walt Disney Company. John loves the parks (used to be a Jungle Cruise skipper if memory serves), and is now not only in charge of Pixar animation, but also Disney Animation. So basically the only section of the company he isn't involved in already are the Live Action (which lets face it,the only good movies lately have been Jerry Bruckheimer, and a few other movies), TV, and Radio.

So if you guys make shirts they should read "John Lasseter for CEO" on one side and "George K way or the highway" (meaning to have all the parks run the way that George K is running DLR). Or you could have one that says "Meg Crofton = Six Flags" on one side, the other being "George K = Disney"
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

If you haven't guessed already I am referring to none other then John Lasseter. I know many of us have mixed emotions regarding him, but I think he is the strongest candidate and beacon of light for the future of the Walt Disney Company.
    I do not want any more areas of my beloved Disney Parks to become homes to Pixar carnival rides. Toy Story Land, Bugs Land, Toon Studios and the upcoming home of Cars Land which will feature two new rides. John is in this for himself and should keep his distance from the Parks and concentrate on his real job. Because his absense from Cars 2 in the early days really hurt the movie and it was to late to save it by the time he realised the Movie was in trouble.

Meg may be a lot of negative for the Parks. But even during her time at WDW she has never given the funding over to build something this crap inside one of the Parks. And knowing Lasseter I'm certain he's pushed for it!
    Last edited by Malin; 07-06-2011 at 04:40 AM.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    But just because you don't know about it or CNBC hasn't talked about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Yes, Iger has, as a matter of FACT, been in discussion with the Prince and Wall St. to sell off the parks or at least parts of them....
    So of course we're all supposed to just take your word for it even though there's no way whatsoever to independently verify any of your "evidence." Convenient.

Suggestively listing a bunch of facts that all have far simpler explanations does not count as substantiation.

And the extremely large piece of counter-evidence - the thing that you did miss - is Shanghai. You don't invest almost $10 billion in a totally new resort infrastructure featuring brand new concepts and designs to be completed over the next five years (optimistically) if you're seriously considering selling off that entire division of the company. And while you may be right that Wall St./the Board don't care about P&R the way we do, they do care that it's one of the most reliable ATMs for the company to get cash to buy things like Pixar or Marvel.

Yes, it's theoretically possible the parks would be sold, and you can list a lot of "evidence" to make it sound like that's where things are headed. It's also theoretically possible that the Walt Disney Co. is secretly planning to ship the the Studios over to Bollywood, and if you gave me 20 minutes, I could probably come up with a list of "Did I miss something" "facts" that support that. It'd still be ludicrous for anyone to believe it.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

I can't help but think that the comparison to Paul Pressler is somewhat exaggerated. Paul really was the epitome of running things into the ground.

Meg may not be great, but the exterior upkeep of attractions at WDW is generally excellent, whereas Paul's neglect and cost-cutting of these areas resulted in a poorly-trained staff and a few deaths.

I'm not saying she's great... but I hardly think this is the reign of Pressler II.

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dj6581 View Post
    Thank you for the speedy reply Regions. It will help me understand the feelings of some of the members. Maybe I am naive in the way I look at Disney parks for what they are and what they were made for. Although I may not agree with many of the views people have of Disney, I do appreciate reading opinions on certain subjects.
    I am not sure how old you are DJ, or how long you have been going to Disney parks or been exposed to the Disney brand, but many of the people who have been going to Disneyland since the 1950's and 60's, WDW since its opening and remember the Mickey Mouse Club and The Wonderful World of Disney on TV, movies like Old Yeller, Pollyana and the rest just think the company has lost its heart and the vision of what made the company great.

If you have seen the decline of Disneyland in terms of maintenance now as opposed to what it once was; the decline in the number of rides and attractions with nothing to replace to them; the decline in the quality of entertainment options at the park; you just have to ask yourself where the company is going.

---------- Post added 07-06-2011 at 06:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Wow!

What's everyone so excited for? Did DL just close? Or ... nah, <snip the rant>

~Your Old Pal, 74~
    Sorry Spirit of 74, you are just delusional and listen to too much gossip.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I admit to knowing nothing about the person who is the subject in this thread. I have read almost every word, and I thank MiceChatters once again for voicing their opinions, and educating me on this topic.

I last visited Disney World in 2009, and admit to being disappointed in what I saw, and experienced. I had a nice enough time, but it was by no means my favorite Disney World vacation. It lacked a lot of the magic I felt on prior vacations to WDW. I have decided not to return until the Fantasyland expansion is finished. I am anxious to hear guests comments when it is fully operational. That means most likely a few years before I return there.

My last trip to Disneyland was for MiceChat's Anniversary, and I hope to return there next Summer. I am looking forward to all of the new things that will be in place that wern't there for my last visit.

The people in charge have a huge impact on my experience, and I realize this. I may not spend as much as some other guests pay when they visit. However, I have always felt that I got my money's worth when I visited Disneyland, up to an including my last trip.

I have always had a motto: If I don't have fun on my vacation, then, it's my own fault. However, if I ever feel that a trip could have been better because of certain missing elements, I would always speak out about those things.

I guess time will tell. I'll be able to tell a lot when I visit next. Will my next visit to each of these parks be as wonderful as they could be? If not, will I be in a hurry to go back? Again, time will tell.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Quote Originally Posted by Dj6581 View Post
    I have been to WDW 6 times in the last six years and I am not sure I am following the reason why people say WDW is in disarray. Could someone maybe explain what people mean and enlighten me?
    This right here. I go to WDW four times a year on average and I haven't seen or felt any of the horrific awfulness I hear about on this thread or on the boards. Currently, the massive cost-cutting problems seem to be:

1. They cut back the scale of Fantasyland to save money.
    -except that they added a new D-ticket ride and took away the cost-cutting princess meet & greets.

2. While DLP changed their queue in Star Tours 2, WDW's remains the same crumbling wreck.
    -except they updated and enhanced the queue.

3. Lightbulbs are out everywhere, things are literally falling to pieces.
    -I honestly have no idea what people are talking about here. I have seen none of this.

Look, I'm aware that WDW has some issues. The Yeti, yes. The lack of expansion in the parks. All that. Maybe Crofton is the worst person for the job. But this tiresome, screaming, horrific bashing of WDW as being "run into the ground" is as old as it is inaccurate.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I do not want any more areas of my beloved Disney Parks to become homes to Pixar carnival rides. Toy Story Land, Bugs Land, Toon Studios and the upcoming home of Cars Land which will feature two new rides. John is in this for himself and should keep his distance from the Parks and concentrate on his real job. Because his absense from Cars 2 in the early days really hurt the movie and it was to late to save it by the time he realised the Movie was in trouble.

Meg may be a lot of negative for the Parks. But even during her time at WDW she has never given the funding over to build something this crap inside one of the Parks. And knowing Lasseter I'm certain he's pushed for it!
    I don't think John Lasseter is to completely blame for the over-Pixarification of the parks. It's obvious that the suits saw anything Pixar as a big draw and felt that anything with a Pixar character (expecially from top dog franchises Toy Story and Cars) was going to sell to the public. Lasseter does have a devotion to story but as it shows in the animation business his idea of a good story seems very narrowed (I can watch recent Disney or Pixar films and tell right off the bat if Lasseter had any influence on the film). As for the theme parks, I don't think he realizes that you can't just give a ride a backstory or a storyline and expect it to be Disney quality. I think he just saw that a ride was being made based on a film he made and just assumed that it's gonna be good regardless, cuz well...the movie was good so the ride has to be unquestionably just as good.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

but the exterior upkeep of attractions at WDW is generally excellent, whereas Paul's neglect and cost-cutting of these areas resulted in a poorly-trained staff and a few deaths.

Who cares what the outsides look like when the actual interior show looks like a knockoff park in China? And you wanna talk about poor training and deaths? I can tell, FIRST HAND, that NO CM is getting trained the way they should. I'm suprised there hasnen't been more accidents w/ all those International CPs running around. I cannot tell you the complaints i heard every day from other CMs about them. And deaths? UMMM THE MONORAIL July 5th2009 sweetie!??? Plus she ruled over.7, countem SEVEN bus accidents/deaths. Paul has NOTHING on this train wreck...

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    but the exterior upkeep of attractions at WDW is generally excellent, whereas Paul's neglect and cost-cutting of these areas resulted in a poorly-trained staff and a few deaths.

Who cares what the outsides look like when the actual interior show looks like a knockoff park in China? And you wanna talk about poor training and deaths? I can tell, FIRST HAND, that NO CM is getting trained the way they should. I'm suprised there hasnen't been more accidents w/ all those International CPs running around. I cannot tell you the complaints i heard every day from other CMs about them. And deaths? UMMM THE MONORAIL July 5th2009 sweetie!??? Plus she ruled over.7, countem SEVEN bus accidents/deaths. Paul has NOTHING on this train wreck...
    Let's not forget understaffing. When I was working in costuming at WDW, it was almost equivalent to being a Wal-Mart worker. The pay was decent enough and I didn't have to work too many hours but staffing is completely out of whack. Managers and the more experienced cast members constantly took advantage of their seniority privileges by bailing out all the time and leaving so many unexperienced CMs to deal with guests on the more extremely busy days. Personally I think that's a terrible thing to do and just screams disaster around the holiday time as I personally had to experience.

As for the Fantasyland Expansion it was a joke from day one. They had no real intention of really expanding Fantasyland only to enhance their Disney Princess franchises and their meet n greets. Throwing a TLM clone into the mix and expanding Dumbo (a preexisting ride) was just their way of making it look like it was an actual expansion.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I agree that John Lasseter is Disneyland's best hope. He loves the park and its history, he shares Walt's vision and (most importantly) he makes the company money. They like people who make money for them. I don't mind the Pixar presence in the parks. Do we really think that if Walt were alive today, he wouldn't have developed Pixar himself? There are people like Lasseter and Baxter to carry on for Walt.

If Crofton has been responsible for so much damage to WDW, why promote her? Maybe Weiss had more to do with her bad choices than we think? Too much hope? It was worth a shot.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

It is my fervent hope that Meg Crofton's Death Panels don't come to Disneyland. She has overseen at least 7 deaths in WDW, as this thread has made clear. But the ongoing murder of guests won't really matter much in the end, as Disney has no ten year plan and it's on the verge of being sold anyway. I'm looking forward to going only to Islands of Adventure in the future! Hooray!

I'll only say one thing. If there is to be another broad-based shareholder revolt, MiceAge and MiceChat will be instrumental in fomenting support.

• really is a small world

Lightbulb Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

I have seen pictures of the knock off parks and it seems that in some they are nicer than Disneyland. Also if you haven't signed my petition against MEG come and sign it. Also please no personal put downs against MEG just business comments. I will delete all personal put downs.

---------- Post added 07-06-2011 at 08:16 AM ----------

We have to get rid of MEG, I want don't want to go to Universal for my theme park dosage. So please sign the petition it will help. Band together tell everyone your twitter followers, your Facebook friends, and your real friends.
    Keep them coming.
    Sign the Petion.
    Welcome to DisneyDose.com. We write about the latest in Disney news, views, and reviews. Come check us out.

We recently spent 3 Epic hours in Disneyland and went to Club 33, had a private elevator in the Haunted Mansion, and rode all of our favorite attractions. Read all about it!

"It is kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    As for the Fantasyland Expansion it was a joke from day one. They had no real intention of really expanding Fantasyland only to enhance their Disney Princess franchises and their meet n greets. Throwing a TLM clone into the mix and expanding Dumbo (a preexisting ride) was just their way of making it look like it was an actual expansion.
    Okay, what? Everyone on here has been hailing the Paradise Pier expansion/remodel, which features the new Little Mermaid ride, three new eating establishments, and a youth-based rollercoaster/train ride. Exactly like Paradise Pier. It will also expand on a hugely popular ride, add 2 new meet and greets, and expand the foliage/lushness of Fantasyland. HOW IS THIS BAD?

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast