Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast

• behind the curtain

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Q: isn't Steve Jobs one of the top share holders, and who is on the Board of Directors?
    Here is a list of the full board:
    The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies - Board of Directors

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Jobs is the largest shareholder.

• Minion

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I know it's a bad upside but if stocks start dropping back to $15 a share or lower and I got the money for it during the Meg Crofton regime, I am so buying. Won't miss the train like I did two years ago.
    same!!!
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Just good enough

So...has Disneyland imploded yet?

I think it's important to maintain a level head during this situation and not think irrationally. I understand that people will want to wear T-shirts to D23, but you've already spent money to be at the Expo, Disney has already won at that point. Sure, you could choose not to purchase anything from the Expo or anything when you visit the parks but I don't think that sends as great of a message to the other executives in attendance. I understand the level of frustration that this may cause people but its important to think from a rational standpoint regarding the circumstances to her promotion or new title.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDreamer View Post
    Yes, his equity interest represents about 3% of outstanding shares.

• Minion

Here is a list of the full board:
    The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies - Board of Directors

I think it would be foolish to remove Steve Jobs from the board, but I don't care about the rest (the only 2 I'd heard of were Bob and Steve)
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Bear in mind that individual shareholders have virtually no real power. Even if they were to, en masse, vote to remove the entire Board, the Directors can still do whatever they want. And, remember that, if a shareholder fails to vote, the Board will vote his or her shares the way it sees fit to do so. Also, roughly half of the shares are held by institutions that rarely question these Boards. So, you should routinely be expressing a vote of "no confidence" by withholding re-election of every Board member.

The cozy relationship that Directors and Officers have with each other is at the root of almost all the evil that exists in the world today.

Exclamation Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

I do not think that calling somebody in this company "evil" does anything, and in all the years that I've participated in fights against them, I've refrained, to the best of my ability, at least (which can be tough to do at times; hey, we're all only human), from doing so. It "does" have an unintentional negative effect.

Disneyland under Pressler's tenure was in terrible shape; extremely bad show. Numerous burned out light bulbs on Main Street, repairmen working on attractions in broad daylight (I have forever etched into my mind waiting in line for Mr. Toad and seeing a maintenance guy board a car on Snow White to inspect a malfunctioning character); burned out bulbs on trails in the actual park; etc, etc. Harriss was great for her first bit, but she ended up being just like him.

And Eisner turned a complete 360 after Frank Wells passed.

I do not believe that anybody goes into a job with evil intentions (at least I hope not). However, I can totally understand why many fans become extremely upset, myself included. Walt Disney is a great idol of mine. He remains one of the most successful businessmen in history; not because he cut corners and thus gave guests "just enough," but because he went the extra mile and exceeded peoples' expectations. And that's why the company became so successful; he didn't treat people as gullible idiots.

There are many awesome people in the company now, yes, unfortunately, there are also many who, to be blunt, should not be there.

One more thing: Uncle Walt's surviving daughter, who founded and runs the amazing Walt Disney Family Museum in the awesomely historic Presidio, famously hated Eisner.
    Peace, free love and rock 'n' roll

SAVE THE HISTORIC PALO ALTO BOWL!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has" -- Margaret Mead

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" -- The Beatles

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Celebrate Earth Day, every day" -- John Denver

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Eonevoli1017 View Post
    So...has Disneyland imploded yet?

I think it's important to maintain a level head during this situation and not think irrationally. I understand that people will want to wear T-shirts to D23, but you've already spent money to be at the Expo, Disney has already won at that point. Sure, you could choose not to purchase anything from the Expo or anything when you visit the parks but I don't think that sends as great of a message to the other executives in attendance. I understand the level of frustration that this may cause people but its important to think from a rational standpoint regarding the circumstances to her promotion or new title.
    This is a fantastically put post. If Disneyland starts to change for the worst, vote with your wallet if you feel strongly about it: that is the only way to register any sort of difference to corporate. I understand frustration as well and discussion of that is fine...but this can't be won by being angry on the internet alone, when no changes have been made yet or proof of decline.

As with any company, big or small, there is a lot more going on behind closed doors than the public knows about, so why not just wait and see? Meg's promotion could mean a ton of different things. It could be ceremonial just to fill in the empty space left by Al, maybe she has just been put into a "holding pattern" until she gets a nice pink slip, or maybe she'll have complete and utter control of everything in the parks. We honestly can't tell right now, and the results could be at both extremes of the spectrum, good or bad. I think its wisest to wait and see, in this situation.

The following comes directly from the Company's Web-site ( The Walt Disney Company - Robert A. Iger Biography ):

The Company has agreed in Mr. Iger's employment agreement to nominate him for re-election as a member of the Board at the expiration of each term of office during the term of the agreement, and he has agreed to continue to serve on the Board if elected.
    What? There's no incestuousness here. Move along, people. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Very Loud Voices!!!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Very Loud Voices!!!
    ..........I love lamp?

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Very Loud Voices!!!
    LOL. Reminds me of what I saw today outside the courtroom for the Casey Anthony case. Lots of really, REALLY angry signs were being held, but there was one golden one that said this:

"RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!"

LOL!
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Disney main goal over the years been to improve the value of their assets? And if they were to sell the parks, wouldn't that just be throwing away their biggest asset and replacing it with a smaller asset of liscensing agreements and contracts? To me, it seems like if they sold the parks, stock prices would go down, and isn't that the last thing Disney wants?
    The parks are not in the core business of media and content distribution. The parks are not their biggest asset, ESPN is the biggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I can't believe they would sell off an asset that produces a billion dollars in profit each year. What company would want to get rid of that?
    One that sees it as a non-core business in an expensive and volatile industry.

If I'm understanding the arguments for selling the park correctly, they wouldn't be losing all of the money that the park makes. Disney makes plenty of money from Tokyo Disney through the steep licensing fees. So it's really a win-win for the company: they don't have to pay the billions that it costs to run the place, but they get essentially free money by letting other people run it for them.
    The licensing fees from the OLC Group are not steep, but also from a time when Disney was much smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    Well, yes, but the money made from the licensing agreements wouldn't be near a billion dollars. In addition, the profit from Disney Consumer Products would also go down, because Disney wouldn't be getting all of the profit from merchandise in the parks and the new owners/operators would probably cut back on selling Disney merchandise (like how they sell tons of non-Disney merchandise at TDLR) adding even more to the loss.
    Universal Orlando Resort is required to go to Marvel or a Marvel approved provider for all Marvel merchandise and then Marvel gets a cut of every sale as well. No reason Disney Consumer Products could not get a similar deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    I still can't see why the Parks being sold is a bad thing? Whoever buys them will have to adhere to Disney's terms to continue to license the rights to have anything Disney in the Parks. That's how it is for OLC. I doubt they would go for anything different in this case.
    The strict guidelines that bind the OLC Group would only apply if agreed to but they no longer reflect operations. Why would Disney or an investor insist on standards that since the 1980s Disney has shown are not necessary to making money and getting people in the parks?

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    1) Eddie is a true insider and knows a heck of a lot more than most of us fanboys (even those who claim to be insiders)..
    Eddie has repeatedly stated that he is not an insider and his tenure with Walt Disney Imagineering ended over a decade ago. He has just as much knowledge on current business dealings as many of us posting, as he gets his information from your supposed insiders.

I don't know if I can believe that they would sell the parks. To me it makes far more sense that Bob Iger was just giving the prince the ultimate VIP experience (just as Walt used to do with dozens of foreign dignitaries). Has he been to DLR, Hong Kong, seen the plans for Shanghai?
    Walt Disney was not CEO, especially of a company of the size of The Walt Disney Company. Also no need for the Board of Directors for a tour. Or such secrecy.

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    but never really got an answer. IS he the same guy??
    Yes, he is.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Euro Disney, S.C.A. started as a majority-owned subsidiary.
    A temporary condition allowed by the French government during the construction phase.

Q: isn't Steve Jobs one of the top share holders, and who is on the Board of Directors?
    Largest individual shareholder. As PragmaticIdealist pointed out, many other institutions own larger shares and most vote for whatever makes the stock price rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip and Dale View Post
    Did Michael Eisner actually run the parks? Or was it just a bad whoever was the head of Disneyland.

If someone could explain this to me, I'd be very grateful
    Michael Eisner was head of the entire company's CEO. He also at times was President and some Board positions. He did not run Disneyland directly, that was held by a number of people during his tenure, most infamously Paul Presser, who was brought over from The Disney Store, and his Number 2 and successor Cynthia Harris. There is a lot more to the story, more than can be covered here. I would suggest looking into reading DisneyWar by James B. Stewart and The Keys to the Kingdom: How Michael Eisner Lost His Grip by Kim Masters.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    when no changes have been made yet or proof of decline.
    A paper napkin dispenser at the Village Haus was empty this morning. She's toast.

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast