Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234561328 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by RollingBoulder View Post
    My understanding from the article is that Crofton will take a somewhat similar position to Weiss, as an overseer of multiple Disney resorts. She is not replacing Kalogridis as DLR President. While there may be some cause for concern, this "sky is falling" mentality is a little extreme.
    This is essentially the same position Paul Pressler was put in when he was promoted from Disneyland President over all the parks. Meg has continued his legacy and is now taking his old position. That IS cause for alarm! If you hear folks crying that the sky is falling, that is because in this case, Meg was the single worst person who could have been placed into such a position (regardless of how much power she will have)!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Adventures with Duffy

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Basically every time anyone one requested funds to do maintenance on rides, the park, etc, it got denied. Massive spending cut backs. Things fell to pieces, rotted, quality dropped off massively. Much like it did at Disneyland in the 90s where things would go years and years and years without refurbs or even regular maintenance. But this saved a ton of money so the pencil pushers loved it and they were "heroes." Dark dark days.
    Oh I see. Thank you. Its sad to see quality go down. Its just sad.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by RollingBoulder View Post
    My understanding from the article is that Crofton will take a somewhat similar position to Weiss, as an overseer of multiple Disney resorts. She is not replacing Kalogridis as DLR President. While there may be some cause for concern, this "sky is falling" mentality is a little extreme.
    Yeah I tend to agree here, while I think it was a huge over expectation that Matt Ouimet will fly in on a golden unicorn and turn Knotts into Tokyo DisneySeas or something, I find it equally obsurd that Meg Crofton will cause any serious harm to DLR. While shes not the ideal candidate I think her faults are greatly exaggerated. Disney is a huge company and nothing falls just on one person anyhow.

Heck, for all we know she is not a bad executive and was merely following Al Weiss's lead? we just dont know yet. Remember all the worry about TOm Staggs and he ended up being great for the parks.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Now, this is a honest question, as not familiar with the WDW hierarchy as much..but wouldn't this be the same overseeing person who overall decided that Adventurer's Club, the Comedy Warehouse, and Wonders of Life should just be closed rather than operated? Or the same management team under her?

I don't think anyone realistically counts those as good signs, if it is so.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

It disheartens me to say that Disney is being stupid all over the map these days. First last year with ESPN, then ABC-TV and now this.

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

I hope Disneyland will do well without becoming another Magic Kingdom.

Is today April Fools Day? I hope so....
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Does this mean that my better option is a season pass to Adventure City?

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

IASW Facade is still dirty and broken.

IJA really needs a extensive required refurb.

Tomorrowland needs to be fixed!

Companies, including Disney, are ultimately after profit. To increase profit, you have two options: Increase revenue or decrease costs. You can also do both.

The Pressler/Harris/Crofton method has been to focus on decreasing costs. This is the thinking that has resulted in the decline of WDW and the design of DCA 1.0 (and we know how that ended up). This has also resulted in lots of problems in other industries, a prime example is Continental Airlines prior to 1994 (documented in the book "From Worst to First", written by the CEO who led the turnaround, Gordon Bethune). Bethune's thesis is that in a service oriented business (such as airlines and theme parks), you can't cut your way to profitability. The customers will notice and flee. You cut costs, but you also end up cutting revenue, and in the end profits go down.

The post-Pressler/Harris era at Disneyland has seen management take the opposite approach, the one used by Bethune at his tenure at Continental. Instead of cutting costs, they've instead invested in improving the parks. The investment pays off with increased revenue. Take the DCA example. All the money that's going into rebuilding the park has led to more visitors to that park. Out of town guests who might have, for example, bought a 1 day, 1 park ticket to cover Disneyland (skipping DCA completely) before moving on to other SoCal attractions, instead might buy a 2 day park hopper so they can visit both parks.

It's this sort of long term thinking that tends to ultimately pay off in the end, while the short term profit focus represented by Pressler/Harris/Crofton, while looked upon favorably by Wall Street types, tends to actually hurt in the long run.

• Forgotten Spirit

One day, and it sounds ridiculous, but I want to work and become a President of Disneyland. Of course just because you're president doesn't mean you get your way, however, Disneyland would never be in such a horrible state that these people put it through.

It disgusts me that people who don't care are put in charge.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    Its sad to see quality go down.
    Not just down, it gets ignored entirely.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Disney is ultimately after profits - however they may find they made a bad decision quickly. With the recent increase in ticket prices (pricing a lot of people out of regular trips to DLR and WDW) they are going to have to make up for it with offering something that people are willing to the spend money on. Letting the parks go the way of WDW is not going to bring in the dollars that the executives are expecting.
    Hopefully they try their little experiment, realize the folly of it, and get out quick. The Pressler/Harris years were tough to overcome and we are only beginning to see what DLR is like without that influence permeating everything.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Now, this is a honest question, as not familiar with the WDW hierarchy as much..but wouldn't this be the same overseeing person who overall decided that Adventurer's Club, the Comedy Warehouse, and Wonders of Life should just be closed rather than operated? Or the same management team under her?

I don't think anyone realistically counts those as good signs, if it is so.
    Well, Meg was over the entire resort and could have said no. But she didn't. She follows VERY closely in the shoes of Paul Pressler folks. She is a bean counter from the word go.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

I can't see maintenance dropping off at DLR as bad as people are afraid of. I'm sure the lawsuits from crappy maintenance KILLING multiple guests during that era proved more costly then upkeep.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234561328 ... LastLast