Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2229303132333435 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

I love what you wrote Trevor! Funny thing is they havent forgotten any of that...you just have to go to Japan and visit TDS to get it!

And to be honest, I never even HEARD of Meg Croften, so no opinions on her whatsoever! But I agree, as far as DLR is concerned, there is a HUGE upswing in the quality department compared to 10 years ago!

So I dont know what will change, if anything, but I do hope that they realize that people DO notice when things are good like they are with DLR and that should be the aim. I have not been to WDW in 8 years now, another reason why I cant comment on this thread, but I know the last few years havent been that great just based on what I been reading.

But one thing I do know is this stuff goes in cycles, like most things in life. These parks will have their good times and their bad, all depending on leadership, the economy, audience trends, etc. There is probably why after 60 years a Disney park has never closed, because just when they are screwing it up to the point people notice, they figure out how to get it on track again. So we'll just have to see. I'm pretty happy with things for the most part now and thats all I can base it on. If things really change for the worse, then I have LOTS of other places I can spend my time in worldwide and do!

But I'm a happy camper now and hope to stay that way for a long time!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    As I said before. It isn't all about what is new. Maintanance is a big deal too. I am not informed enough about the operations of the non-US resorts to be able to accuratly judge them. Only when you take into account the maintanance, merchandise options, foodservice options, staffing, queue lengths, CM morale, guest service and many many other factors can you understand the resort properly.

Do customers get on ten attractions each day? Could an upper executive get from each attraction and restaurant to another without a map or assistance? Does damage done by a guest to things like sinage or thematic elements recieve repairs promptly? How often does custodial check garbage cans on secondary park pathways or the soap level in out-of-the-way bathrooms?

E-tickets have never defined a Disney park. The #1 problem with the company and with its fans are that they are the biggest thing we focus on.
    You are 110% correct, Trevor. Maintenance is every bit as critical to theme park ambiance as new attractions. The only thing Disney is maintaining at most of it's parks is disarray.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    At the end of the day though, Disney is designing it's parks now for a new generation. It is obvious in all aspects of life that this new generation is not in sync with generations past. They will overlook theme consistency if they are kept constantly engaged on attractions and Disney knows this. So, interactive comes in, and consistent and well developed immersion is cut for cost reasons. The fact that they so easily departed with what they were for what they can sell cheaper now is devastating and depressing for those who remember. I just hope the joy of walking down a perfectly recreated New Orleans street doesn't go away any time soon, and a market for that kind of entertainment resurfaces. People have to be willing to pay for it though, and people are already willing enough to pay a lot for ride-on arcade games. Sad, but it is the reality we find ourselves in.
    I'm sorry but I don't buy this. This sounds like what older generations have been told to believe about the younger generations ["ZOMGZ! They grew up with video games and internet and expect everything to be interactive and instant!! Let's turn the parks into giant arcades!"], rather than what's actually true about them. Why is the Wizarding World of Harry Potter so successful? Is it because it's so interactive? Or is it because Universal Creative went all out in creating a totally immersive and believable environment? If you've been there, the answer's obvious. WWoHP is interactive, but in a lower tech sense where you interact with the Universal employees and performers who play their roles so convincingly and make you feel like you've actually stepped into Hogsmeade. That level of interactivity is the best kind (and something that kids can't get so easily at home in front of the TV) and is impossible unless you believe the simulated environment.

I'm in my 20s, so I'm not part of the youngest demographic the parks are going after now, but I did grow up playing video games since I was 3 and started using the internet in elementary school. And it seems to me the executives have taken the wrong lesson from "these kids grew up with video games and everything being interactive and instant." The fact that I grew up with video games being commonplace means that I'm less, not more likely to be impressed with something like Toy Story Midway Mania. TSMM is just a (honestly, not very good) video game projected on a big screen with some added water and air effects. I can get a better, deeper, more fun gaming experience at home on my PS3. It's something I view as commonplace and kind of take for granted. On the other hand, something like WWoHP, or the Indiana Jones Adventure, or even Haunted Mansion is something I can't duplicate at home - it's a totally unique, convincing, detailed 3D environment that sucks you in and makes you feel like you're really a part of the story in a way that an interactive screen never can or will.

The theme parks that will succeed with the generations of tomorrow are the ones that will offer them something altogether different, better, and more convincing than what they can already easily get from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft at home. The lesson is that Disney needs to dig deeper into their roots and offer an altogether different kind of experience at a quality level that only they can deliver - not offer the same type of experience that these kids have had in their living room since they were born.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 07-09-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

^ And that, ladies & gents, is a world class Bingo.

Are you listening, Tom?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    This is about as bad as news gets folks. The woman who ran WDW into the ground is now over Disneyland as well. It is like the Paul Pressler era all over again.
    Maybe not. Don't get me wrong, as a DLR cast member, I'm mildly apprehensive, especially given the fact that WDW frequently attempts (and fails) to get us to follow them instead of the other way around. However, her position isn't the head of the DLR. That job belongs to George Kalogridis, who has done a wonerful job during his tenure. Meg also isn't head of Parks and Resorts. That's Tom Staggs, who likewise has done a good job in his role. Even though George now reports to Meg, he and Meg still report to Tom. Given the fact that George has the ear of Tom, this isn't nearly as much of a "Meg tells George what to do" situation as it is a "Meg supports George in what he does" situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by EndorExpress View Post
    Maybe she'll be too busy "running" all three resorts to actually interfere with any of them?
    I jokingly said that exact phrase in a meeting this week. The one question several of us discussed was how, exactly, this affects us. The simple fact is, she won't be hands on. That's not her intended role. How does this affect is? Aside from us having to add her name to some of our email distribution lists, we don't expect it to. Could that change? Sure. Do we expect it to? For the post part, no. Everyone agrees, though, that it would be wonderful if we could get Al Weiss to magically lose 30 years off his age so he could stay with the company longer. But until we convince Tinker Bell to provide some age-reducing pixie dust, that ain't gonna happen.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 07-09-2011 at 10:28 AM.

• Minion

I've been very pleased with George Kalogridis's time here in Anaheim, but I can't help but wonder, is the reason that he wasn't given this job because Disney is looking to replace him next year? The last few Disneyland presidents have all had 3-year contracts and have been replaced when those 3 years were up. George took the job in 2009, making his contract up in 2012. I sure hope that Disney is recognizing the outstanding job he's doing here in Anaheim and opts to renew his contract. This is purely speculative on my part, by the way.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Given the fact that George has the ear of Tom, this isn't nearly as much of a "Meg tells George what to do" situation as it is a "Meg supports George in what he does" situation.
    Meaning no disrespect (and believe me, I do not want to add to any employee's apprehension), people with experience in the Company's pecking order politics might call that interpretation naive.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    I've been very pleased with George Kalogridis's time here in Anaheim, but I can't help but wonder, is the reason that he wasn't given this job because Disney is looking to replace him next year? The last few Disneyland presidents have all had 3-year contracts and have been replaced when those 3 years were up. George took the job in 2009, making his contract up in 2012. I sure hope that Disney is recognizing the outstanding job he's doing here in Anaheim and opts to renew his contract. This is purely speculative on my part, by the way.
    Disneyland could be enjoying much higher profits, attendance and organizational structure if it stopped treating it's presidents like pawns with a shelf life of 3 years.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Disneyland could be enjoying much higher profits, attendance and organizational structure if it stopped treating it's presidents like pawns with a shelf life of 3 years.
    A termed contract is, for better or worse, standard procedure in the business world at these levels of management. Matt Ouimett was well liked at the DLR, and left by his choosing. he was with the company for decades, and his contract would undoubtedly been renewed if he wanted to stay. Ed Grier was no Matt, and while the Resort grew during his tenure, he wasn't much of a people person (not even to cm's), and I'm glad he's gone. George is very much of a people person, is hands on, is a lifelong company employee, is respected by his superiors, and respects his fellow cm's. Assuming he doesn't get promoted, I suspect he will se his contract renewed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Meaning no disrespect (and believe me, I do not want to add to any employee's apprehension), people with experience in the Company's pecking order politics might call that interpretation naive.
    No disrespect taken, but there's no naivete on my part. I regularly interact with "people with experience in the Company's pecking order politics", who concur with my earlier post. That said, it being naive necessarily bad? The interpretation that Meg will do at DLR what she did at WDW is likewise naive, but I don't think that makes the interpretation without merit. Like I said, as a CM, I'm mildly apprehensive. But only mildly.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 07-09-2011 at 10:56 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

For all we know, Meg has been kissing up to Mickey Mouse himself. Regardless of how she gained her promotion, she might prove to be about improving the parks or she might have a Jay Rasulo mentality. I would be more comfortable if Meg was on record as having done something that demonstrates her love for theme parks. But, she hasn't. Too often, the copany seems to be growing from the roots in it's nose rather than Walt's standards and dreams.

In any corporation if you focus on and succeed in improving Customer Satisfaction, growing the business, and Employee retentation, they bring in (To protect the CEO Bonus) a Budget Focused Executive to reel in spending and maximize short term profit and you become........

TOAST

• WDW will always be home.

So I've generally been a "moderate" on Meg throughout this discussion, and then I read this:

Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing, and from August 1 2011, the Magic Kingdom monorail will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing. This means that in both cases, the monorail will not be able to return guests back to their resorts after evening Extra Magic Hours. Guests will instead be transported by bus and boats where available. Morning Extra Magic Hour service has not been affected. All indications are that this is a permanent change.
    Source: WDWMAGIC.COM

Is this really how TWDC wants to present Meg to the fans after her recent promotion?

(And for the benefit of DLR people who think of the monorail primarily as an attraction/novelty, please know that at WDW, the monorail is actually pretty crucial as a transportation service. The resorts attached to the monorail line are the highest priced resorts on property specifically because of this privilege and convenience.)
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 07-09-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Link to non partner site with forums removed per board policy
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    In any corporation if you focus on and succeed in improving Customer Satisfaction, growing the business, and Employee retentation, they bring in (To protect the CEO Bonus) a Budget Focused Executive to reel in spending and maximize short term profit and you become........

TOAST
    I hope not... But this makes me very nervous for his job. I've met George a couple of times in the park and he's always very approachable, friendly, and seriously seems to care about his job and the park. He's one of the few presidents that actually makes regular visits to the park itself, and is very willing to talk to the masses.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Is this really how TWDC wants to present Meg to the fans after her recent promotion?
    (
    Actually, I think it is. It's simply their attitude these days. They can do whatever they want and people will still come.

• Member of Baxter's Army

^ And that, ladies & gents, is a world class Bingo.

Are you listening, Tom?
    Staggs or Fitzgerald?