Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 823303132333435 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Staggs or Fitzgerald?
    Mr. S.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    Well, it IS an asset. Everything Disney does is a risk. You can't be in any type of buiness and not take risks. Its funny how stock prices have gone up since the sucess of Star Tours and Mermaid has been proven.
    Again, that does not matter. It is unfamiliar and the perception is that they are an unnecessary risk.

You've completely missed the point. Disney still owns those parks, just not all of them, and there is no licensing agreement with another company that owns the entire park allowing them to use Disney characters. Again, if a Licensing agreement is Sooo beneficial to TWDC, they would have done like they did with TDL.
    There are licensing deals in place for all of the international Resorts. The revenue from Tokyo Disney Resort is actually quite small in hindsight, but in the late 1970s when the Company was pouring everything into EPCOT Center while the studio was in a serious rut, it was a bit of a long shot but any extra money was needed. The minority ownership gives Disney less risk and liabilith while giving them more than they get from Tokyo Disney Resort.

That is completely beside my point because it still takes up time and resources (the Imagineers) to make it happen.
    Because of timeshare regulations the division is mostly self sufficient. Walt Disney Imagineering bills Disney Vacation Club for their services.

If his only goal is to distribute, there would be no reason for him to greenlight the DCA and MK expansions, greenlight two new Cruise ships, a new hotel, and, most of all, buy Pixar.
    Not every action is just that, but your "most of all" was entirely about forever securing the ability to distribute the works of Pixar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The company is trying to milk the reputation of the Disney brand as long and as hard as it can while systematically dismantling the very things that built that reputation. There may be a turnaround in Anaheim, but that is only because the company was stung by low attendance at DCA and thus was essentially forced to repair that park.
    And the company would be wise to look at the history of their recent $4 billion acquisition, as they ran themselves into bankruptcy doing just this.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Mr. S.
    I think thy both need to learn that.

• Senior Minion

^ True.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I was at DLR last fall...how incredible was the contrast between DLR and my local WDW.... Iyeah I read it on all the forums but seeing it literally the same day (we flew from WDW to DLR lol) it was so obvious!

Keep these folks away from your Tiki Room!!!!!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't buy this. This sounds like what older generations have been told to believe about the younger generations ["ZOMGZ! They grew up with video games and internet and expect everything to be interactive and instant!! Let's turn the parks into giant arcades!"], rather than what's actually true about them. Why is the Wizarding World of Harry Potter so successful? Is it because it's so interactive? Or is it because Universal Creative went all out in creating a totally immersive and believable environment? If you've been there, the answer's obvious. WWoHP is interactive, but in a lower tech sense where you interact with the Universal employees and performers who play their roles so convincingly and make you feel like you've actually stepped into Hogsmeade. That level of interactivity is the best kind (and something that kids can't get so easily at home in front of the TV) and is impossible unless you believe the simulated environment.

I'm in my 20s, so I'm not part of the youngest demographic the parks are going after now, but I did grow up playing video games since I was 3 and started using the internet in elementary school. And it seems to me the executives have taken the wrong lesson from "these kids grew up with video games and everything being interactive and instant." The fact that I grew up with video games being commonplace means that I'm less, not more likely to be impressed with something like Toy Story Midway Mania. TSMM is just a (honestly, not very good) video game projected on a big screen with some added water and air effects. I can get a better, deeper, more fun gaming experience at home on my PS3. It's something I view as commonplace and kind of take for granted. On the other hand, something like WWoHP, or the Indiana Jones Adventure, or even Haunted Mansion is something I can't duplicate at home - it's a totally unique, convincing, detailed 3D environment that sucks you in and makes you feel like you're really a part of the story in a way that an interactive screen never can or will.

The theme parks that will succeed with the generations of tomorrow are the ones that will offer them something altogether different, better, and more convincing than what they can already easily get from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft at home. The lesson is that Disney needs to dig deeper into their roots and offer an altogether different kind of experience at a quality level that only they can deliver - not offer the same type of experience that these kids have had in their living room since they were born.
    ^ And that, ladies & gents, is a world class Bingo.

Are you listening, Tom?
    When you ignore the second half of my post, it changes the meaning of what I was saying.

What I was saying in the quoted paragraph is that the generation gap exists and that not everyone thinks of things the same way. The important point I was trying to make from that is that Disney has found that for less money, they can please their customers by giving them interactive instead of detailed. I then clearly went on to say that this is a bad thing. I doubt you are willing to argue that.

From there, I went on to state that I hope someone realizes that a unique and more exciting experience can be found in immersive environments.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    When you ignore the second half of my post, it changes the meaning of what I was saying.

What I was saying in the quoted paragraph is that the generation gap exists and that not everyone thinks of things the same way. The important point I was trying to make from that is that Disney has found that for less money, they can please their customers by giving them interactive instead of detailed. I then clearly went on to say that this is a bad thing. I doubt you are willing to argue that.

From there, I went on to state that I hope someone realizes that a unique and more exciting experience can be found in immersive environments.
    Absolutely, immersive environments generate a more unique thematic experience that is more exciting and stimulating. That's a no brainer beyond debate.

---------- Post added 07-10-2011 at 12:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I think thy both need to learn that.
    .........^True

^ True.
    ..........^ True
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
    My feelings for this thread would best be described by this gif:

Quite accurate

• potterday.org

I have only one thing to say.

Name:  fail-1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  78.8 KB
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I seriously believe that WDC wants to dump the parks, but I also seriously believe that there is not a buyer willing to pay 30 billion for them right now.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Maybe not. Don't get me wrong, as a DLR cast member, I'm mildly apprehensive, especially given the fact that WDW frequently attempts (and fails) to get us to follow them instead of the other way around. However, her position isn't the head of the DLR. That job belongs to George Kalogridis, who has done a wonerful job during his tenure. Meg also isn't head of Parks and Resorts. That's Tom Staggs, who likewise has done a good job in his role. Even though George now reports to Meg, he and Meg still report to Tom. Given the fact that George has the ear of Tom, this isn't nearly as much of a "Meg tells George what to do" situation as it is a "Meg supports George in what he does" situation.
    Actually, George has effectively LOST "the ear of Tom". Tom has added a buffer to filter himself from lower executives.

This is similar the what happened when Frank Wells died and Eisner started adding layers of "interference" between himself and lower executives. When Wells and Eisner were together, Imagineering creative executives (Baxter, Rhode, Weis, Lanciscero, etc.) had DIRECT access to them. Any creative issues concerning the parks could be brought up to either of them. In the years since then, the layers that have been inserted makes it nearly impossible to get any issues brought up directly to Iger (and now even Staggs) without it having been filtered by another layer of (potentially uninformed) non-creative involvement.

I'm sure that this move was "worked out on paper" that showed it would be beneficial for Staggs. However, they never continue those calculations to see if it provides ANY benefit to those further down the chain who are actually trying to produce or run the various Disney "products".

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I seriously believe that WDC wants to dump the parks, but I also seriously believe that there is not a buyer willing to pay 30 billion for them right now.
    Why do they need to dump the parks? If it weren't for the parks, I wouldn't love Disney nearly as much as I do
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Actually, George has effectively LOST "the ear of Tom". Tom has added a buffer to filter himself from lower executives.
    Meg has moved into a role that approximates the one previously held by Al Weiss. Maybe that buffer role shouldn't be there, but it's not anything new - it's been there longer than George has been president of DLR.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Why do they need to dump the parks? If it weren't for the parks, I wouldn't love Disney nearly as much as I do
    I can whole-heartedly say that corporate Disney does not care. $$$ makes the world go round. Your feelings are just a side effect.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Again, that does not matter. It is unfamiliar and the perception is that they are an unnecessary risk.
    I don't see how its an "unnecessary risk" when it generates 10 billion in revenues, and by the looks of things, it will only go up with DCA, SHDL and all.

There are licensing deals in place for all of the international Resorts. The revenue from Tokyo Disney Resort is actually quite small in hindsight, but in the late 1970s when the Company was pouring everything into EPCOT Center while the studio was in a serious rut, it was a bit of a long shot but any extra money was needed. The minority ownership gives Disney less risk and liabilith while giving them more than they get from Tokyo Disney Resort.
    No, not the kind they have at Tokyo Disney Resort. Last I checked the discussion wasn't about Disney doing minority/partnered ownership, but selling the parks off completely and using licensing agreements like they do with TDR.

Because of timeshare regulations the division is mostly self sufficient. Walt Disney Imagineering bills Disney Vacation Club for their services.
    You're STILL missing the point. The point was that Imagineers who could be working on planning a major expansion for one of WDW's parks are busy with things like DCA, SHDL, FL expansion, and Aulani.

Not every action is just that, but your "most of all" was entirely about forever securing the ability to distribute the works of Pixar.
    So it was simpler to spend $7.4 billion than to just write a contract that would secure the ability for years to come???