Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9243132333435 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Actually, George has effectively LOST "the ear of Tom". Tom has added a buffer to filter himself from lower executives.

This is similar the what happened when Frank Wells died and Eisner started adding layers of "interference" between himself and lower executives. When Wells and Eisner were together, Imagineering creative executives (Baxter, Rhode, Weis, Lanciscero, etc.) had DIRECT access to them. Any creative issues concerning the parks could be brought up to either of them. In the years since then, the layers that have been inserted makes it nearly impossible to get any issues brought up directly to Iger (and now even Staggs) without it having been filtered by another layer of (potentially uninformed) non-creative involvement.
    Exactly. And therein lies the problem for George K: as a longtime, knowledgeable player in Disney pecking-order politics, he knows that the fastest way to lose Tom's ear completely would be to complain in it about anything that his new boss, Meg, is doing, or to give her any reason to complain to Tom about him (and by "complain about him" I mean the 1,001 ways a boss can subtly submarine a subordinate).

The problem is only partly that Meg is George's boss. The primary thing that will hamstring him from protecting the DLR against her decisions is that Tom promoted her and Bob approved it. In the world of Disney politics, a criticism of Meg is equivalent to a criticism of the two top guys, which anyone in Disney management who wants to keep their career growing and thriving knows not to do.

It was this political "golden boy effect" that empowered Paul at Disneyland. The message of "I'm Paul Pressler and I've Been Personally Promoted by Michael Eisner" was as clear to Paul's peers and subordinates as if he'd worn it on a t-shirt. As a result, no one dared complain to Michael about the damage he was doing, until it was much too late.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-10-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

And not learning that will ensure a short life in any organization....

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Anyone here know any Disney superiors or high ranking Disney executives in person before?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    I don't see how its an "unnecessary risk" when it generates 10 billion in revenues, and by the looks of things, it will only go up with DCA, SHDL and all.
    Because it is not the core media business. It is different.

No, not the kind they have at Tokyo Disney Resort. Last I checked the discussion wasn't about Disney doing minority/partnered ownership, but selling the parks off completely and using licensing agreements like they do with TDR.
    Actually, any arrangement is possible and supposedly in the cards. Even then, the deal specifically worked out with the OLC Group does not have to be repeated. Those fees are now considered low by The Walt Disney Company, and a different deal would likely be created.

You're STILL missing the point. The point was that Imagineers who could be working on planning a major expansion for one of WDW's parks are busy with things like DCA, SHDL, FL expansion, and Aulani.
    Walt Disney Imagineering is not a specific group of people. Its size is constantly in flux and each year they outsource more. Many believe Shanghai Disney Resort is a field test to prove that Walt Disney Imagineering being more like Universal Creative, a few project managers who outsource almost everything, could also work for Disney.

So it was simpler to spend $7.4 billion than to just write a contract that would secure the ability for years to come???
    Like with Marvel, many financial analysts thought too much was paid for Pixar. That money also bought a guarantee. Pixar wanted more of the money their films generated, sequel rights and theme park rights (which The Walt Disney Company owned under the original agreement). Iger took the bet that a wholesale purchase would be cheaper than a web of deals for at a time when Pixar was looking for other distributors. Walt Disney Feature Animation was also in the dumps at the time, further limiting what The Walt Disney Company could sell.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Walt Disney Imagineering is not a specific group of people. Its size is constantly in flux and each year they outsource more. Many believe Shanghai Disney Resort is a field test to prove that Walt Disney Imagineering being more like Universal Creative, a few project managers who outsource almost everything, could also work for Disney.
    That would be a total disaster for Disney. Disney's success was NOT because they had project managers that made successful projects, but because they have top creative Imagineers who are able to envision, design, develop and produce outstanding successful projects (often times in spite of project management). If they try to outsource all the creative aspects of the company, Disney will have lost their last remaining capabilities that set them above and apart from all the rest of their increasing competition.

• Not on the Jedi Council

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I seriously believe that WDC wants to dump the parks, but I also seriously believe that there is not a buyer willing to pay 30 billion for them right now.
    I too can't figure out why they would be interested. They make money hand over fist with the parks, and compared to the 80s, they have few other businesses.

Hollywood Pictures doesn't produce anything any more, Touchstone is a shell of its former glory, the Feature Animation division just gave up on princesses, right? Pixar is about their only bright spot, though Cars 2 is the least attended Pixar film to date. For a constant revenue stream, it would seem to me the parks or nothing at this point in terms of keep shareholders happy.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    That would be a total disaster for Disney. Disney's success was NOT because they had project managers that made successful projects, but because they have top creative Imagineers who are able to envision, design, develop and produce outstanding successful projects (often times in spite of project management). If they try to outsource all the creative aspects of the company, Disney will have lost their last remaining capabilities that set them above and apart from all the rest of their increasing competition.
    Except that many firms have already outdone Walt Disney Imagineering and a good number of these firms are headed by very creative former Imagineers.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Except that many firms have already outdone Walt Disney Imagineering and a good number of these firms are headed by very creative former Imagineers.
    Yep. In imagineering and animation, the joke in town since Eisner arrived is that Disney hires the best of the best, trains them well, then wraps 'em in a gift bow and delivers them to the competition.

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Yep. In imagineering and animation, the joke in town since Eisner arrived is that Disney hires the best of the best, trains them well, then wraps 'em in a gift bow and delivers them to the competition.

Pretty much! where would Dreamworks be if Katzenberg was contained properly? Nowhere. It wouldn't even exist.

Weird to think about isn't it?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This is what I've been noticing. Luckily some of the good ones stay (Steve Davison, Tony Baxter, John Lasseter, and from the live action area they still have Tim Burton's interest and Jerry Bruckheimer)

---------- Post added 07-11-2011 at 12:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Pretty much! where would Dreamworks be if Katzenberg was contained properly? Nowhere. It wouldn't even exist.

Didn't I see somewhere that Disney is now going to be the distributor for Dreamworks?
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Imagineering God

Jesus, I heard this place was declaring war on the decision...but this is almost to a nuclear extent.

My two cents: While it isn't good news Meg Crofton is getting promoted, not much will change really. Staggs is doing well in his job, he wouldn't let Meg overpower him. I wouldn't expect the Disneyland Resort to change that much, as with Walt Disney World (although I would like to do something about that).

However, this "One Disney" business is a load of crap.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Didn't I see somewhere that Disney is now going to be the distributor for Dreamworks?

You did but not for Dreamworks animation, which is a separate entity. Dreamworks films will be distributed via Touchstone Pictures.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

You did but not for Dreamworks animation, which is a separate entity. Dreamworks films will be distributed via Touchstone Pictures.
    I wonder why they're getting dreamworks, but not dreamworks animation :/
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Senior Minion

Yup. Ditto John, who was a rising star at Disney animation. So rising that Disney booted the yeast out of the oven, whereupon it floated north to Pixar and commenced to whup the Mouse's butt. (Which he'd still be doing today if they hadn't bought him and Pixar outright.)

Quote Originally Posted by CostaFreak View Post
    Jesus, I heard this place was declaring war on the decision...but this is almost to a nuclear extent.
    Funny how a decade of decline at WDW preceded by a decade of decline at DL will do that to a customer base, ain't it?
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-11-2011 at 12:03 AM.

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I don't see how its an "unnecessary risk" when it generates 10 billion in revenues, and by the looks of things, it will only go up with DCA, SHDL and all.

[...]
    10B in Revenue isn't that impressive when you consider that they need to contiunally invest billions in order to keep the parks running. DCA alone took 2 in the last few years.