Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 102532333435

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    I wonder why they're getting dreamworks, but not dreamworks animation :/
    DreamWorks Animation was spun off as a separate company that is now publicly traded.

• Minion

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    DreamWorks Animation was spun off as a separate company that is now publicly traded.
    Eisner never should have gotten rid of Katzenberg
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Minion

Why not take all this mental energy and organize a "Meg Watch," that way any time a bad decision is made by the company, we can raise a hellstorm about it here. Tomorrowland and Frontierland are both desperately in need of new master plans and new attractions, and if she says "no" to those, we need to make noise, a lot of noise and for a long time. If everyone stamps their feet up and down long enough and hard enough, they can't help but notice. And organized boycotts if necessary. Remember the "New Coke" fiasco of the 1980s? I'm serious... word travels with lightning speed now thanks to the Internet. If we had been that organized 15 years ago, the Skyway and PeopleMover might still be running today.

• Senior Minion

^ That is one of the few (if not sole) positive aspects of the Company promoting someone with Crofton's history into a top position: in the aftermath of Paul Pressler, DCA 1.0 and the last decade of WDW, people today will be less likely to sit quietly if DLR management starts the parks on a downward track.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly. And therein lies the problem for George K: as a longtime, knowledgeable player in Disney pecking-order politics, he knows that the fastest way to lose Tom's ear completely would be to complain in it about anything that his new boss, Meg, is doing, or to give her any reason to complain to Tom about him (and by "complain about him" I mean the 1,001 ways a boss can subtly submarine a subordinate).

The problem is only partly that Meg is George's boss. The primary thing that will hamstring him from protecting the DLR against her decisions is that Tom promoted her and Bob approved it. In the world of Disney politics, a criticism of Meg is equivalent to a criticism of the two top guys, which anyone in Disney management who wants to keep their career growing and thriving knows not to do.
    ^ This. Meg's promotion comes off to me as the latest in a long line of attempts to bring DL to heel. It's well known that One Disney has created some tension between TDA and TDO. So far, TDA has managed to circumvent the worst of Florida's directives, but this move sends a strong message to any recalcitrants in Anaheim that the party's over and it's time to fall in line.

I just hope it doesn't take another Columbia to stop her...
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Why not take all this mental energy and organize a "Meg Watch," that way any time a bad decision is made by the company, we can raise a hellstorm about it here. Tomorrowland and Frontierland are both desperately in need of new master plans and new attractions, and if she says "no" to those, we need to make noise, a lot of noise and for a long time. If everyone stamps their feet up and down long enough and hard enough, they can't help but notice. And organized boycotts if necessary. Remember the "New Coke" fiasco of the 1980s? I'm serious... word travels with lightning speed now thanks to the Internet. If we had been that organized 15 years ago, the Skyway and PeopleMover might still be running today.
    Bob, I agree with so much of what you say here. It is incredibly important for us to remain vigilant and vocal.

However, I'm concerned that much of the potential for Meg to undermine Disneyland will never be known to us. It is the canceling of quality theme park projects and the cutback of entertainment budgets which we will likely never know about. Disneyland looks great. As long as it continues to look good, there won't be much we can point to and blame Meg for . . . even if she is able to prevent some really important projects which the parks need.

I'm actually not too concerned about Disneyland at the moment. There are far too many important Disney executives within a short drive of Disneyland for Meg to be much of an issue here. But I think she will continue to be a disaster for WDW and Paris.

Then again, she might take the outrage over her promotion to heart and actually try to fix the problems she was all to happy to rubber stamp in the past few years.

The silver lining in all of this is that Meg no longer reports to Al Weiss and her new bosses all know that Disney World is not performing to the company's expectations. She'll be directly responsible for that now. If things don't pick up for Florida financially and the crowds don't flood back soon, Meg will be shown the door in very short order. And there is very little reason for crowds to return at the moment. No one plans an expensive trip to Orlando to see a new dark ride (little mermaid for example) and there is nothing exciting which has been announced for the near future. Word of mouth on Disney World is horrible and folks are flocking to Universal and other parks instead of spending 5 days at Disney World. Meg has built herself a sinking ship which she will now be forced to sail to her own peril.

Remember how everyone loved Matt Ouimet when he swooped in after Pressler/Harris and rescued Disneyland. If you were a wanna-be Disney hero, what job would you most want when Meg finally leaves the company to spend more time with the family? Yep, you'd want to take the company money and fix Disney World. Because every little thing fixed or restored will be twice as noticeable.

Perhaps, just perhaps, this is all a setup to position the parks for a big turnaround once the problem people have been swept aside. I just hope they aren't able to do much more damage before that time comes.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Minion

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Except that many firms have already outdone Walt Disney Imagineering and a good number of these firms are headed by very creative former Imagineers.
    As you pointed out, those companies are generally run by those former creative Imagineers that Disney eliminated, NOT project management. If all that remains of Imagineering is project managers, the creative aspects are then left up to outsourced companies that aren't necessarily comprised of former Imagineers. Imagineering has had costly problems with outsourced projects before.

BTE, the creative portions of Shanghai are being done at Imagineering. Of course, that project is apparently having problems with outsourced portions.

---------- Post added 07-11-2011 at 10:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CostaFreak View Post
    Jesus, I heard this place was declaring war on the decision...but this is almost to a nuclear extent.

My two cents: While it isn't good news Meg Crofton is getting promoted, not much will change really. Staggs is doing well in his job, he wouldn't let Meg overpower him. I wouldn't expect the Disneyland Resort to change that much, as with Walt Disney World (although I would like to do something about that).

However, this "One Disney" business is a load of crap.
    My question is, if Staggs is doing well in his job, why would he need to put Crofton in that position at all? It just seems to be a needless position and one that seems to potentially present more problems than is solves.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    As you pointed out, those companies are generally run by those former creative Imagineers that Disney eliminated, NOT project management. If all that remains of Imagineering is project managers, the creative aspects are then left up to outsourced companies that aren't necessarily comprised of former Imagineers. Imagineering has had costly problems with outsourced projects before.
    Even when you get the tech specs, delivery dates and budget right, you can't outsource soul. That direct connection between storyteller and audience that was the hallmark of WED is so missing in these latter day committee-concocted, focus-tested, marketing demographic-aimed efforts.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-11-2011 at 09:46 PM.

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Dj6581 View Post
    I have been to WDW 6 times in the last six years and I am not sure I am following the reason why people say WDW is in disarray. Could someone maybe explain what people mean and enlighten me?

I'm with this guy..... explain what she has or has not done, what is likely to happen now the she has been promoted, I for one would just like to understand and then I can shout it from the roof tops. We may not know what all this means but I think just by having found Micechats makes us a step ahead others.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Thomas View Post
    I'm with this guy..... explain what she has or has not done, what is likely to happen now the she has been promoted, I for one would just like to understand and then I can shout it from the roof tops. We may not know what all this means but I think just by having found Micechats makes us a step ahead others.
    There is no quick answer. Reading through the entirety of this thread will give you an overview and links to other places with more information.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Thomas View Post
    I'm with this guy..... explain what she has or has not done, what is likely to happen now the she has been promoted, I for one would just like to understand...
    You might want to research the WDW forum archives and the last several years of Kevin Yee's columns. There you'll find firsthand accounts that support the following posts from earlier in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Basically every time anyone one requested funds to do maintenance on rides, the park, etc, it got denied. Massive spending cut backs. Things fell to pieces, rotted, quality dropped off massively. Much like it did at Disneyland in the 90s where things would go years and years and years without refurbs or even regular maintenance. But this saved a ton of money so the pencil pushers loved it and they were "heroes." Dark dark days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    This is essentially the same position Paul Pressler was put in when he was promoted from Disneyland President over all the parks. Meg has continued his legacy and is now taking his old position. That IS cause for alarm! If you hear folks crying that the sky is falling, that is because in this case, Meg was the single worst person who could have been placed into such a position (regardless of how much power she will have)!

- Neil Gabler

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I've met George a couple of times in the park and he's always very approachable, friendly, and seriously seems to care about his job and the park. He's one of the few presidents that actually makes regular visits to the park itself, and is very willing to talk to the masses.
    I interact with George somewhat regularly, and can tell you this is exactly how he is. He's incredibly approachable to guests and CM's alike, has a definitive love for the DL Resort, and, as a CM myself, can tell you he's the best boss I've ever had. That's not a professional platitude either. I truly mean it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    I interact with George somewhat regularly, and can tell you this is exactly how he is. He's incredibly approachable to guests and CM's alike, has a definitive love for the DL Resort, and, as a CM myself, can tell you he's the best boss I've ever had. That's not a professional platitude either. I truly mean it.

In total contrast, I was a CM during the Pressler/Harriss era and I NEVER saw those two. If it wasn't for the newsletters I wouldn't even know who was in charge.

While I enjoyed my time as a CM, it was ultimately the bad direction of the parks that led me to quit. Light Magic and Tomorrowland was the one-two punch that told me that the parks were heading for trouble. And then DCA happened. WDW is already there and has been for quite some time. What's scary is to think that... it CAN get worse. It's doable.

I really hope that Meg has a sincere attempt at fixing the issues that are important to the guests.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 102532333435