Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456781530 ... LastLast

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    More of the same for WDW...not for current Disneyland standard, which has been increasingly positive. And making it bad at WDW as the standard isn't 'acceptable' either...been sad to hear of the seemingly bad state over there.
    My point was that Al Weiss, who was probably more damaging to WDW than Meg was, was over all of P&R as Operations President for the last 6 years. He recently retired and Meg was just promoted into a slightly scaled back version of the position he held. I'm not a fan of either of them, but if Al didn't have that much of an effect on DLR, why will Meg?
    Last edited by PSUMark; 07-05-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Meg Crofton - New President of Operations for the US and French Disney Parks

I am not discounting Weiss as running parts poorly, and I hope in this case George K. will do well under Crofton and be able to continue maintaining and running Disneyland in fine form. But if the senior manager comes in with a goal of cutting 'extra' things in favor of profit, as seems was the WDW mandate, not much positive can come of that for a park she previously had no hand in.

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    i dont know much about the business of the parks../but what did she do that makes this terrible?
    She is not qualified to run an amusement park, hotel or restaurant. She started in marketing and was in HR before she moved into the role of running WDW.

A horrible decision.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    Wasnt Tom Staggs a "bean counter" before he became chairman of parks and resorts ? and now we love him.
    No, you love him. There are DL fans who knew him as CFO who aren't one bit surprised that he'd make this kind of decision, and that the guy who promoted him (Bob) would back it (if indeed it wasn't Bob's promotion of Meg, directly or indirectly, in the first place).

Folks, this isn't a good guy/bad guy thing. It isn't a good manager/bad manager issue. Michael, Bob, Tom, Meg, Paul, et al are absolutely not inept. They are smart, passionate businesspeople who have (or had) strong visions for Disney's theme parks. They didn't get where they got in the Company by doing things by accident.

As Michael had, so does Bob have a vision for Disney Parks. Allowing WDW to go where it's gone in the last five years is an expression of part of that vision. Promoting Tom is another part of it. Promoting Meg is just another.

Barring a massive plunge in customer attendance, there will be more expressions of the same vision by the same top management. You can count on it.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    What about the savedisney URL? Is that still available? ... it'd be amazing if somebody started up a website.
    MiceChat IS that web site. We are the one Disney fan site not afraid to stand up and say that Disney World is broken. While other sites, blogs and podcasts (yes you all know who they are) take their free trip and dinners in exchange for saying wonderful things about WDW, we tell it like it is.

We just need to keep doing what we do and get as many other concerned Disney fans as possible to start posting here as well (and sharing what they read here with all of their friends and family).

We CAN save Disney folks. But we'll need your help!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Mickey is not my Brother

Well if the WDW Fantasyland expansion can happen under her watch-there could be a slight sliver of hope at the end of this bleak tunnel. Also if you visit the DLP thread there are tons of refurb projects happening right now.

I posted the following on a few Disney Co. Facebook Pages to help spread the word about Crofton's new position:
    Say "No" to Meg Crofton as Disneyland Resort's "President of Operations"

A few pages have since deleted it, ultimately censoring their customer. I just don't get why they would remove my comment but leave comments talking about how Cars 2 is the worst movie ever made?

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    No, you love him. There are DL fans who knew him as CFO who aren't one bit surprised that he'd make this kind of decision, and that the guy who promoted him (Bob) would back it (if indeed it wasn't Bob's promotion of Meg, directly or indirectly, in the first place).

Folks, this isn't a good guy/bad guy thing. It isn't a good manager/bad manager issue. Michael, Bob, Tom, Meg, Paul, et al are absolutely not inept. They are smart, passionate businesspeople who have (or had) strong visions for Disney's theme parks. They didn't get where they got in the Company by doing things by accident.

As Michael had, so does Bob have a vision for Disney Parks. Allowing WDW to go where it's gone in the last five years is an expression of part of that vision. Promoting Tom is another part of it. Promoting Meg is just another.

Barring a massive plunge in customer attendance, there will be more expressions of the same vision by the same top management. You can count on it.
    People often do not get ahead in business by their competence but by their connections. Others do it by ruthlessness, politics and skullduggery. TWDC is one of the worst I have seen. The Peter Principle is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    Well if the WDW Fantasyland expansion can happen under her watch-there could be a slight sliver of hope at the end of this bleak tunnel. Also if you visit the DLP thread there are tons of refurb projects happening right now.
    But from what we've heard, things like Fantasyland Expansion and Star Tours II were forced on TDO.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jeremys View Post
    People often do not get ahead in business by their competence but by their connections. Others do it by ruthlessness, politics and skullduggery. TWDC is one of the worst I have seen. The Peter Principle is alive and well.
    Bingo. My point is these people as a management group are extremely competent at expressing their vision for Disney theme parks in a manner that maximizes profits.

You can look at WDW to determine what that vision is.

There are of course exceptions -- Matt was one, George is another. One of the key questions facing the DLR is, what is the message that Bob handing the Keys to the Kingdoms to two of the sharpest of the sharp-pencil people gives to George?

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    They are happening right now because they were scheduled to commence before all of this broke out

• Minion

Well how much say did Al Weiss in Disneyland's operations? Even when he was in this position, the DLR was thriving under Kalogridis and his people. Maybe the same will happen with Crofton since she is in Weiss's old position?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    My point was that Al Weiss, who was probably more damaging to WDW than Meg was, was over all of P&R as Operations President for the last 6 years. He recently retired and Meg was just promoted into a slightly scaled back version of the position he held. I'm not a fan of either of them, but if Al didn't have that much of an effect on DLR, why will Meg?
    Exactly, and how do we know that Meg wasnt just getting her marching orders from Wiess? maybe she will be a different executive now that she doesnt have to answer to Al Wiess?

While this isnt great news, I think people need to step back and take a deep breathe, all too many times we have demonized execs who have ended up being fine. On the other side of the coin , I think other execs have been praised and their successes over exaggered ie: Matt Ouimet.

Disney is a huge company and no ONE person rules the entire operation, even Meg has 4-5 bosses above her. So lets not get into a panic before we really know her true impact on our resort.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Well how much say did Al Weiss in Disneyland's operations? Even when he was in this position, the DLR was thriving under Kalogridis and his people. Maybe the same will happen with Crofton since she is in Weiss's old position?
    I am trying to hope for the best to come out of all of this (if any) but it still won't eliminate "One Disney"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    maybe she will be a different executive now that she doesnt have to answer to Al Wiess?
    Sorry, but that's a fantasy. As with Michael promoting Paul, Disney promotes based on the expectation that the executive will continue exercising the vision and skill set they have previously demonstrated, and not that they'll do something different. (If Bob wanted Meg to take the Parks in a different direction, he would have promoted someone with a track record in that direction. Ditto his promotion of Tom.)

- Neil Gabler

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456781530 ... LastLast