• jhalderman

Cool Not a Bug's Land

So, My girlfriend and I are annual passholders and we visit regularly and we noticed yesterday during our visit that there really aren't any pesky bugs in the park, no mosquitos, no flies, etc. I know this is a random post but it seems so weird to me because I used to work at the Disneyland resort and not to ruin any magic for anyone but the backstage area's seemed to be pretty gross at times. What do you guys think? I think disney has an invisible force field...

Re: Not a Bug's Land

Now that you mention it, you're right! you would think that all the churros and sweets would attract those nasty, annoying bugs.

• At the bottom

Because Pixie Dust is in fact equal parts DDT and DEET....

• jhalderman

Quote Originally Posted by Down with the Tide View Post
    Because Pixie Dust is in fact equal parts DDT and DEET....
    It's all making sense now!

• Minion

Funny you mention it! Last year at the OC fair there were so many flys around yeh food seating area and trashcan it was pretty gross that I didn't want to eat! But know that think about it I've never had a problem at Disneyland!

• Banned User

Ha. Winnie the Pooh and Big Thunder Ranch have big problems with pests of the biting variety. Guests don't notice because they aren't there for long, but the CM's get bit everywhere. I have seen plenty of roaches roaming about the park too.

Worse than all of that though, are the rodents who live in the attractions. I hate rats.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Telpeurion View Post
    Ha. Winnie the Pooh and Big Thunder Ranch have big problems with pests of the biting variety. Guests don't notice because they aren't there for long, but the CM's get bit everywhere. I have seen plenty of roaches roaming about the park too.

Worse than all of that though, are the rodents who live in the attractions. I hate rats.
    Yup, my 5 year old and I were waiting by Winnie the Pooh one afternoon and saw a couple of bees flying around. My son wound up telling some older boys who were trying to swat and kill them that "leave them alone! If you don't bother them, they won't hurt you" He is so cute!

But yeah, come to think of it, never noticed many flies or pesky bugs around. Maybe all the feral cats eat them all, plenty of those...

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I encountered the pesky bugs whenever I eat at the Big Thunder Ranch Barbeque.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Surprised the answer hasn't come up yet...

the 'bug free' experience at Disneyland is absolutely intentional and manufactured...how?

Well, the simple things are done....garbage and food spills are cleaned up MUCH quicker than most 'public areas'. Some insecticides are also used (nothing too harsh) and the local avian population also helps.

But one of the biggest tools Disney uses are bugs. Specifically bugs in dark trench coats carrying tiny sniper rifles. Well, not really, but they are assassin bugs....Disneyland (and Disneyworld) bring in and cultivate tiny insects that feed on the larvae and eggs of most other flying pests. These insects are still beneficial to the plants and environment, but are generally not noticed or even not seen by guests while keeping the mosquito, gnat, and fly population down to pretty much nothing.

My wife and I get a kick out of pointing out a fly or other insect if we see one...we then disapprovingly shake our heads because we know Disney's tiniest employees are slacking off on their job.

• jhalderman

Quote Originally Posted by AMUSIX View Post
    Surprised the answer hasn't come up yet...

the 'bug free' experience at Disneyland is absolutely intentional and manufactured...how?

Well, the simple things are done....garbage and food spills are cleaned up MUCH quicker than most 'public areas'. Some insecticides are also used (nothing too harsh) and the local avian population also helps.

But one of the biggest tools Disney uses are bugs. Specifically bugs in dark trench coats carrying tiny sniper rifles. Well, not really, but they are assassin bugs....Disneyland (and Disneyworld) bring in and cultivate tiny insects that feed on the larvae and eggs of most other flying pests. These insects are still beneficial to the plants and environment, but are generally not noticed or even not seen by guests while keeping the mosquito, gnat, and fly population down to pretty much nothing.

My wife and I get a kick out of pointing out a fly or other insect if we see one...we then disapprovingly shake our heads because we know Disney's tiniest employees are slacking off on their job.
    That makes total sense, where did you hear about this?

• Banned User

i've seen bugs b4. but its mainly just nats