Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Closed Account

Question Anyone Know When the Monorail will be back up?

Tonight was a serious mess in DTD getting over to the parks, solid wall of people even til just 15 minutes ago. Disneyland was extremely crowded it seemed but wait times weren't horrible. Anyway, does anyone know when the monorail service will be back up? It was down from 6pm on tonight all night..

Re: Anyone Know When the Monorail will be back up?

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Tonight was a serious mess in DTD getting over to the parks, solid wall of people even til just 15 minutes ago. Disneyland was extremely crowded it seemed but wait times weren't horrible. Anyway, does anyone know when the monorail service will be back up? It was down from 6pm on tonight all night..
    The monorail has been down since Wed. I don't know why or when it will operate again.

dsny1mom

• Closed Account

Actually, only Orange was running on wednesday...but yeah I guess today all day it was down.

• DLR Cast Member

My understanding is it's day to day. From what I'm told, the downtime has been due to the axle issue that was discovered several weeks ago. Technically speaking, they could probably run two trains just fine (and have done so off and on). But they're choosing to err on the side of safety, and not taking any chances.

BTW, guests sometimes think that if the monorails were running, it would reduce foot traffic at DTD. In reality, however, operation of the monorail doesn't significantly impact foot traffic at DTD at all. This is simply due to the monorail's capacity. At optimum, the monorail can transport about 650 guests per hour. That's half the number of people at ESPN Zone.

Also, even during high capacity evenings at DTD, it still takes about the same amount of time (often less) to walk from the Esplenade to the hotels as it does to board the monorail at Tomorrowland and ride it to the DTD station.

• Closed Account

It was a 2-part question/statement....I knew the DTD crowd didnt have anything to do with the monorail really, just pointing it out. I don't mind waiting 20 mins or so for the monorail rather than walking over to the gate, extra steps saved for inside the park.

• DLR Cast Member

Oh, I forgot to mention, Monorail Blue is running today.

• Closed Account

On a side note, does anyone know if there's a place to lock bicycles up at the Mickey & Friends Parking structure?

• Minion

Couldn't have been down from 6 pm on - I was on it at 7:19. Only Blue was running though.

Hairy Baby!

On a side note, does anyone know if there's a place to lock bicycles up at the Mickey & Friends Parking structure?
    I don't know if there is at M&F, but I know there's a bike lock rack (those "U" bars) at Downtown Disney just in front of ESPN Zone headed towards the taxi pickup area.
    -Wes

• Closed Account

argh..monorail still down all tonight, a maintenance guy said something about it being up tomorrow, but who knows.

• DLR Cast Member

Not sure about M&F, but there's a bike rack at the Bus Loading area on the east side of the Esplenade. As a CM, I've ridden my bike to work several times, and it's a nice relaxing commute.

---------- Post added 07-16-2011 at 09:36 AM ----------

argh..monorail still down all tonight, a maintenance guy said something about it being up tomorrow, but who knows.
    Hey, I wanted to give everyone an update. They're starting work on the Monorail track related to the Golden Gate Bridge removal and replacement. The Monorails will be completely down during the last week of July. Between now and then, they're be off-and-on. In August, they're continue to be off-and-on as needed. My guess is they probably won't return to dedicated two-train service until after Buena Vista Street in DCA is complete.

• Dreams do come true

There seems to be a monorail down chain effect. The Vegas monorail engine burt into flames a couple weeks ago. CRAZY

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsny1mom View Post
    The monorail has been down since Wed. I don't know why or when it will operate again.
    I mentioned this earlier, but it bears repeating. The Monorail will likely be off and on until after the reopening of Buena Vista Street in DCA. It is currently being affected by the deconstruction of the DCA Golden Gate Bridge. It will not be running at all for several days next week to complete the GOlden Gate demo. After that, it will be affected by construction of the new Hyperion Bridge construction, which will continue until Buena Vista Street opens later this year.

On days when the Monorail is operational, it will likely be running just one train.

The monorail is once again experiencing ongoing technical problems. At the moment, they are running at reduced capacity with one monorail and this is expected to continue throughout the busy summer season. They've been running one way trips by requiring guests to exit at BOTH stations. The best thing to do is avoid it at all costs. Disneyland has a big problem on its hands with the Mark VIIs. As soon as one safety problem is resolved, another one is just around the corner.

• DLR Cast Member

I've spoken to Operations, and according to them, current monorail operations has nothing to do with "technical problems" of the trains, but has to do with DCA construction. It will not be running at all for several days next week to complete the Golden Gate demo. After that, it will be affected by construction of the new Hyperion Bridge construction, which will continue until Buena Vista Street opens later this year.

On days when the Monorail is operational, it will likely be running just one train.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast