• I'm a Lutheran

Wink Old Jungle Cruise

The old Jungle Cruise. A classic attraction with elements that have since been lost in memory. Only few videos, pictures, drawings, and memories remain which is why I want to gather as much information from pre-Indiana Jones Jungle Cruise as possible. Here is all that I know. Please add-on to it and feel free to put in any information that you know. Correct me if I'm wrong on some of these things.

Jungle Cruise 1955

- Loading Dock
    - Rainforest
    - Ancient Shrine: Featured Buddha, spiders, a giant ruby guarded by a cobra, some monkeys, and a giant python.
    - Crocodiles: Three crocodiles/alligators (They look more like alligators) attacked the boats from behind a rock.
    - Giraffes: A pair of giraffes watched boats go by from behind some trees.
    - Rhinos: Baby rhinos ran around in the tall grass as their mom snorted and lifted her horn.
    - Water Buffalo: Some water buffalo swam in the water.
    - Bull Elephant: The bull elephants were in front of Schweitzer Falls, not after it. They were much bigger than the ones we have now.
    - Schweitzer Falls
    - Lion: A snarling male lion.
    - Hippos
    - Headhunters: There was no village. A few skulls appeared in the foliage while headhunters poked their heads in and out of the bushes. "Danger is lurking behind every log." There was a hut somewhere.
    - Backside of Water
    - Rapids of Kilmanjaro
    - Gorillas: Two gorillas moved their arms around and growled.
    - Return to Civilization
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Re: Old Jungle Cruise

When I saw your title, I immediately thought of the baby rhinos and the bouncing gorillas!

Also remembered the 'dead' lion hanging upside down at the dancing native village.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Minion

Do they not shoot the gun any more? That scared the wits out of me as a kid.

Wasn't there for a short time a pen near the entrance with live alligators in it, or is that just a myth?

• I'm a Lutheran

I do remember reading something about Walt borrowing alligators from the alligator farm near Knott's and putting them outside of the Jungle Cruise entrance. It's kind of a cool concept.

They still shoot the guns but they're cap guns that they fire two times in the air.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

For a while, they weren't allowed to shoot the guns at all, but added the new compromise version a few years ago (shooting in the air, but not directly at the hippos).

Since it was outside and much more easily recorded than dark rides, there are plenty of good videos of the Jungle Cruise in its older state.

Here's a ride through from 1956 released by Disney.

• Minion

I remember the large black bird and crocodiles trying to eat it in a tree where the Indy exit now sits. I have an old home movie from the early 90's that shows it. I also recall the dead hanging lion at the native village because there used to be a joke i used back then which was "The villagers appear to be celebrating the kill of that lion. You can tell the lion is dead since they don't normally stand like that. It's kind of a dead giveaway."

• Splash Enthusiast

anyone have any videos of this stuff other than the original video posted? something right before indy perhaps? i tried looking on youtube, but all i could find were WDW videos.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    For a while, they weren't allowed to shoot the guns at all, but added the new compromise version a few years ago (shooting in the air, but not directly at the hippos).

Since it was outside and much more easily recorded than dark rides, there are plenty of good videos of the Jungle Cruise in its older state.

Here's a ride through from 1956 released by Disney.
    Sweet video!!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Do they not shoot the gun any more? That scared the wits out of me as a kid.

Wasn't there for a short time a pen near the entrance with live alligators in it, or is that just a myth?
    Hi, Bob!

Last time I was there, the gun was still being used.

One of my favorite memories is when the skipper had forgotten to reload and the gun just clicked. He gave a scream of frustration and hurled a handful of bullets at the charging hippo!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Poor chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    I remember the large black bird and crocodiles trying to eat it in a tree where the Indy exit now sits. I have an old home movie from the early 90's that shows it. I also recall the dead hanging lion at the native village because there used to be a joke i used back then which was "The villagers appear to be celebrating the kill of that lion. You can tell the lion is dead since they don't normally stand like that. It's kind of a dead giveaway."

The "black bird" is an African hornbill that was moved to the rafters of the new queue after the Indy rehab.

• I'm a Lutheran

I heard that the hornbill was intended to be a talking parrot...does anyone know anything else about that?

I had an excellent female skipper back when Fantasmic! was still a new show. After the crowds had let out my parents and I (I was a kid) got right on the Jungle Cruise because there was practically no line. Our skipper started out by saying "Hello, I'll be your hostess, my name is Cupcake." (Get it? Hostess Cupcake.) Once at the African Veldt she referred to the male lion as Simba and started singing the intro to "Can You Feel the Love Tonight." Later on in the headhunter village she shined the boat's light on the dead lion and said "Look it's Simba! Oh..." At the backside of water she used her light again and shined it on the water humming the theme song for Fantasmic!
    Last edited by MANEATINGWREATH; 07-12-2011 at 04:47 PM.

• "I Break Things"

I don't have the time right now but I know there are a few threads on here about early Jungle. At one point I tried to track down the "migration patterns" of all the animals from opening until now. GorillasDon'tBlog and Matterhorn1969 (google them) had a lot of great material on early Jungle Cruise including photos throughout the year. Davelandweb was another outstanding resource.

As to the gators in the queue. The "legend" goes that Walt placed a baby gator in a cage in the queue. Tourists, not realizing it was real, fed it all sorts of things and it was removed due to ill health. The "moral" of the story if there is one is that the tourists thought the crocs in the Jungle were real and this poor baby was somehow fake.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"