Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Carthay Circle Theater Restaurant

I have a question regarding the Restaurant that was recently announced for Carthay Circle Theater. Is it going to be a Club 33 style Restaurant or open to the public?

• -

Re: Carthay Circle Theater Restaurant

I think it is supposed to be a general public restaurant.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Thanks I really hope it will be open to the general public. I'm not set against a Membership only Restaurant for the park. But the Carthay Circle Theater is going to be such a giant structure and landmark for the park. That it would be a shame if the average park visitor was unable to experience the venue. Atleast with Club 33 the Restaurant is hidden and out the way. So the average park visitor has no idea the place even exist.

• Minion

I wish they'd be using the Carthay Circle as a theatre or attraction instead.

I'd hoped they might recreate The Brown Derby (with the actual hat) as the new fancy restaurant elsewhere in Hollywoodland (since they had licensed the rights for WDW and even for that closed DCA sound stage food facility).

• Sock Puppet

I can't see how they would build such a big structure and then not let the public eat there...but on the other you never know because it's Disney!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I wish they'd be using the Carthay Circle as a theatre or attraction instead.

I'd hoped they might recreate The Brown Derby (with the actual hat) as the new fancy restaurant elsewhere in Hollywoodland (since they had licensed the rights for WDW and even for that closed DCA sound stage food facility).

Yeah, this is the biggest screw up of the entry makeover. It's really frustrating that they didn't make this key feature of DCA's NEW entry into a showstopping attraction. It's just really irritating that all they are planning for this location, in the BILLION dollar makeover, is a freakin' restaurant. They could have used the Playhouse Disney/Disney Jr show building all the way over to and possibly even repurpose the Bug's Life 3D movie and queue - there is so MUCH space that they could have built an incredible attraction for this central structure of DCA.

• film975

I would rather there be an attraction dedicated to Walt Disney and Snow White in there too. But oh well. It would be nice if they had pictures of Snow White's premiere in there. On some kind of displays of that in there.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

It'll be a general public restaurant but it's still unclear on what exactly it'll have. It's Lobby could still house some type of exhibit, the building is huge and multiple storied. I have no problem with this icon being a restaurant honestly. Magic Kingdom's castle houses just a restaurant and private hotel room. I'm just sit back and wait and see what surprises all of BVS will have.

• Banned User

Al Lutz posted a very informative post today.

The Carthay Circle Theater building (shown above) has the luxury of already being behind walls and is on schedule, luckily, and TDA is still leaning towards the plan to create a second Club 33 style membership club for Anaheim for this facility. The plan now is to have two separate cocktail lounges on the first level, with the entire second level dedicated to a swanky and ultra-themed dining room. The club concept would allow members-only access to one of the first floor lounges and the upstairs dining room. The second lounge downstairs would be opened up to anyone, but would hopefully feed off the cachet of being associated with the Carthay Circle Club, its working title thus far.
    Thereís two competing schools of thought on launching the Carthay Circle Club concept; one faction in TDA looks at the long standby list of people willing to shell out big bucks to join Club 33 and thinks itís a slam dunk, and the other faction realizes a similar club in DCA wonít mean much because alcohol is available all over that park and the Walt-era mystique of Club 33 will be nearly impossible to recreate on the former site of Presslerís giant hubcap. The risk is that DCA already tried two upscale dining experiences and failed with the Vineyard Room and Avalon Cove.
    It might be safer to try and skim off some of the Club 33 waiting list and then spend the next 20 years sucking up to the new members of the Carthay Circle Club until DCAís own mystique is formed. Maybe they could hold an annual springtime tug-o-war competition in the Esplanade between Club 33 members and Carthay Circle Club members? TDA will have to make a final decision soon on whether to pull the trigger on DCAís membership club, and the D23 Expo is going to be the perfect venue to launch it if they do go for it.
    Looks like Disney may be going with a Membership only area after all, shame
    Last edited by Malin; 07-12-2011 at 01:08 PM.

• For Narnia and for Aslan!

Hopefully something sways them from making it an exclusive club. Something as grand and public as the new theater just won't work if inside is a secret club that turns away the average guest. The poor CMs working there will have to explain the concept every 5 seconds to unsuspecting guests :/
    You can fly, you can fly, you can fly!

"To live would be an awfully big adventure."

• Nutty about Disney parks

I dunno what makes the suits think that the restaurant would be more successful as a Club 33 type extension. People are paying thousands of dollars and are waiting years to eat at the original, not because it was exclusive but because it was a special and historic experience designed by the hand of Walt himself. They could work their butts off to replicate this in CCT, but rest assured many on that waiting list would not be pleased if they were told that all the time and money they wasted would have to be for the DCA version instead.

Besides that, the park is seriously lacking in table service restaurants which will be in greater demand after Phase 1 of the expansion is finished. This is a no-brainer here.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I really wonder if those are the only two serious options under consideration by TDA. With either of those options, TDA is headed down an entirely wrong road.

Where's imagineerings voice in what should be done with this PRIME piece of property that is front and center in DCA????

And WHY 3 years into this project, are they still trying to figure out what they should do with this building? Isn't that a bassackward way of doing things?

How about turning the Carthay into a Hollywood Version of The Adventurer's Club mixed with a little Mystery House.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I have a question regarding the Restaurant that was recently announced for Carthay Circle Theater. Is it going to be a Club 33 style Restaurant or open to the public?
    Hi, Malin!

What I heard is that it's still undecided. Rumors I've heard include: Restaurant downstairs and Exclusive club upstairs; Blue Sky Cellar moves here; Bar downstairs, Public restaurant upstairs; Movie theatre downstairs (showing parts of classic Disney similar to Main St. Cinemas) and Al's Bar downstairs, Club upstairs.

Personally, I still like some tribute to Walt during the late '20s downstairs (including showing Oswald) w/ a '20s style club upstairs.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Realistically, for all we know they may have a plan already. To be honest, I could care less either way what they decide to do. I'm going to sit back and watch this one unfold.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Al Lutz posted a very informative post today.

Looks like Disney may be going with a Membership only area after all, shame
    NO NO NO NO! I already throw a fit about how "unfair" it is for those lucky people who get into Club 33!! I greatly dislike them. (No, I'm just extremely jealous because it's like my dream that never comes true)

If another Club 33-style club is built I will throw a fit!! Especially if it's right in front of me!! Aaahhh! I'm all for it being a super fancy restaurant or a theatre, but no secret clubs!! If it's a secret club I will laugh. Laugh, laugh, laugh!

I had to rant! :P If I'm correct, this is suppose to be like right in front of the park entrance, yeah? It kind of seems like a funny place to have a functioning theater, it would probably create lots of traffic. Maybe that's why they are thinking of making it a restaurant?
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast