Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14212223242526 LastLast

Re: Golden Gate Coming Down

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    It all depends. Vancouver's Skytrain has run for years extremely reliably. Personally, I too prefer Monorail for various reasons, but I don't agree on those issues with light rail.

As for the costs, I have still yet to see a comparison that shows Monorail is distinctly more expensive than Light Rail on a level playing field.
    But the Skytrain isn't a light rail, it has its own designated track that doesn't interfere with traffic.

It's Fun to do the Impossible
    - Walt Disney

[

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    So is it safe to assume that the new Hyperion/Glendale bridge is going to be built over the structure that's left of the GGB? They seem to have stopped the dismantling at a very specific spot.
    i think they are leaving that portion as is at the moment so that it does not leave the monorail track exposed to the public. Once the stores on the west side are closed and walls go around engine ear toys the side walls will most likely be dismantled to allow them to create the new entrance for the shop that will be under the monorail track portion of that area.

looks like right now they are dismantling what they can to get ahead of the game but at the same time trying to leave portions in tacked until the entrance is completely closed off to guests.

Today, 7/26, they have added work walls at both ends of the bridge.
    They will probably continue taking down the rest.

Note: They have also added walls in front of most of the Disney Jr Show.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    Today, 7/26, they have added work walls at both ends of the bridge.
    They will probably continue taking down the rest.

Note: They have also added walls in front of most of the Disney Jr Show.
    I hope this is the exact proportions of the the new bridge, I really like the way it looks

Also, if they ARE planing using the structure as a skeleton, maybe they are just getting started opening up the new shop entrance on the right hand side.......hmmmm, its very intriguing. I cant wait to see how this all plays out
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theme Park Penguin View Post
    But the Skytrain isn't a light rail, it has its own designated track that doesn't interfere with traffic.
    Light rail does not imply sharing grade with traffic. In fact, both wikipedia and dictionary.com both specify that light rail often uses its own right of way. I hate to use Wikipedia, but it serves as a good source in this case.

Differences in many countries create variations, and all types of technologies are created all the time. For this reason, many systems can be both considered and not considered light rail depending on refrence. In fact, the real reason the Skytrain would not be considred true "light rail" is because it doesn't have a driver.
    Last edited by Trevor; 07-27-2011 at 01:52 AM.

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    I hope this is the exact proportions of the the new bridge, I really like the way it looks
    Yeah, that's actually not too far off of what the general size/shape of the new bridge will be.

And you'd have to assume that the GGB was rather sturdy. Under that safe assumption, I don't think it's completely out of the question that they could simply attach steel-work ("pins") and lattice chicken wire to the existing structure and then do the concrete work right over that. Think of the current remnants of the GGB as the underlying steel in the Carsland rockwork, and you could see how they could just build on top of it in the same manner.

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that they could just use the steel that's already there as support. It'd be pointless to rip out all that steel just to put new steel up.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Yeah, doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that they could just use the steel that's already there as support. It'd be pointless to rip out all that steel just to put new steel up.
    It depends on if the steel that is there fits within what the new bridge will be. It seems highly unlikely that they would have designed the new bridge to "wrap" around what's left of the old one. It seems far more likely that the new bridge was designed to be entirely new so that it can look exactly like they want it to look without having to wrap around something else as a hold over from the original design of the area.

Is it possible? Sure, but I don't think it's very likely. I expect to see the rest of the Golden Gate Bridge disappear once the work on BVS proper starts.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

The light standards and seat-walls were interesting, and so was the water feature and the California Sun. I also liked the train and the station, as well as some of the music.

---------- Post added 07-27-2011 at 10:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The light standards and seat-walls were interesting, and so was the water feature and the California Sun. I also liked the train and the station, as well as some of the music.
    Sorry.... .... wrong thread.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Question Re: Golden Gate Coming Down

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    It depends on if the steel that is there fits within what the new bridge will be. It seems highly unlikely that they would have designed the new bridge to "wrap" around what's left of the old one. It seems far more likely that the new bridge was designed to be entirely new so that it can look exactly like they want it to look without having to wrap around something else as a hold over from the original design of the area.

Is it possible? Sure, but I don't think it's very likely. I expect to see the rest of the Golden Gate Bridge disappear once the work on BVS proper starts.
    This brings up a question that I've asked in the full DCA Progress Tracker, a couple of times, but (as far as I can tell) never received an answer for: Is the steel surrounding that section of the Monorail track actually providing any structural support for the bridge, or is it just a skin?

Considering that the track is supported by concrete columns at a fairly regular intervals, it seems like a bulky steel bridge is totally unnecessary for support. If that's the case, then they could rip the entire GGB skin off, leaving just the less obtrusive concrete track, until they have a chance to build the Hyperion Bridge around it.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    This brings up a question that I've asked in the full DCA Progress Tracker, a couple of times, but (as far as I can tell) never received an answer for: Is the steel surrounding that section of the Monorail track actually providing any structural support for the bridge, or is it just a skin?

Considering that the track is supported by concrete columns at a fairly regular intervals, it seems like a bulky steel bridge is totally unnecessary for support. If that's the case, then they could rip the entire GGB skin off, leaving just the less obtrusive concrete track, until they have a chance to build the Hyperion Bridge around it.
    Correct. The bridge never supported the monorail beamway in any way. It was merely "wrapped" around the beam and didn't even touch it. They were isolated from each other by necessity. The bridge supports itself and nothing else. They dynamic forces on the beamway caused by the passing of a monorail would have required much stronger reinforcing on the bridge had it actually been supporting.

‪Monorail Complete Experience Front (HD POV) Disneyland California‬‏ - YouTube

Skip to 4:40 in the video and you can see that the bridge "deck" comes right up to the beam, but doesn't actually connect to it in any real way. It's just a skin essentially.

Given that the bottom is fully skinned and that it spans the entire width of the entrance corridor, taking this down looks to be more than a single night job like the tower segments were. If you were to remove a piece, the remaining pieces would have to have supports put up to hold them up as the structure is self supporting. This would involve safety issues for park guests during the days between start and finish of removal. I'm guessing Disney is simply waiting to take the remaining parts down until they close the entrance corridor. Once the backstage path is open behind Soarin', look to see the rest of the bridge come down pretty quickly. I highly doubt they'll want to build the new bridge around the bones of the old one.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

I don't know what info you're using to say it is "highly unlikely" to wrap a new skin around a old skin. Why would it be impossible? It could be very possible. These installations are custom. If Disney could save a few bucks by not putting in a new framework, they should take it.

Anyway, I wonder why the walls went up with the old bridge in place. The old bridge should be gone by now if they intended to remove it entirely.

@StevenW: I'm pretty sure mycroft16 said that it is pretty likely that they would, not that they could. He even said that it was possible. I agree with him in that it is unlikely that they would build around the existing skin. It would be impractical since it would likely be more complicated and expensive to build a custom frame to accommodate what's already there, than tearing down the old skin then putting in proper footings and pouring concrete into a basic mold (or whatever it's called).
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

It is interesting to see all the changes. I think once it is all done it will look really cool. It reminds me of Hollywood Studios at WDW. I just hope they don't put the sorcerer's hat in there anywhere. LOL It is an eyesore in FL and everyone there keeps asking that it be removed. I am glad that nothing like that is slated for DCA. I too miss the letters and the bridge but I think this will finally get that park on the right track. It's too bad they didn't figure that out ten years ago. I do remember there being a lot of arguments then about the theming. Haste does make waste.

...Given that the bottom is fully skinned and that it spans the entire width of the entrance corridor, taking this down looks to be more than a single night job like the tower segments were. If you were to remove a piece, the remaining pieces would have to have supports put up to hold them up as the structure is self supporting. This would involve safety issues for park guests during the days between start and finish of removal. I'm guessing Disney is simply waiting to take the remaining parts down until they close the entrance corridor. Once the backstage path is open behind Soarin', look to see the rest of the bridge come down pretty quickly. I highly doubt they'll want to build the new bridge around the bones of the old one.
    What if they were to simply cut out the flat, horizontal grate/surface that runs between the pillars? It doesn't look that big. I can't see how it would take more time or effort to tear that out than it would be to remove the big chunks of the towers that have each been removed, in pairs, overnight. Once the flat platform is gone, it shouldn't be too tough to remove the remaining steel pillars - especially since they're behind construction walls.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!