Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland Resort Third Theme Park

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaFan View Post
    well, Disneyland resort has been given approx. 11 million for the next ten years so maybe if they were smart and put a bit aside and used some of their next big budget to make DisneySea America for disneylands 75th
    Where on earth are you getting your numbers? Mater's Junkyard Jamboree alone (or according to Al, the paint the paint for the railing of this ride) will blow that number.

• The Legend Ends

million, my bad I read billion. whoops! though that still may be off
    I believe in Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty was real.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    The unique challenge about the new property is that it's small and far away. At least DCA has the conveince of being next door to Disneyland. This third gate will take some effort to get to so anything short of a stand-alone park will not succeed. While this doesn't spell doom, it just means that a 3rd gate will need to have a strong enough theme, appeal to a broad enough audience, and be high enough quality to generate high attendance numbers (none of this "parks start small" baloney).
    The land they have for the park is only 2 blocks down the street. But a light-rail from LAX is risking the whole thing Disney is fighting hard to stop it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    The land they have for the park is only 2 blocks down the street. But a light-rail from LAX is risking the whole thing Disney is fighting hard to stop it.
    2 blocks is much further than the hundred or so feet between Disneyland and DCA's turnstiles. No relying on Disneyland being right next door for this next park.

---------- Post added 07-17-2011 at 11:46 PM ----------

million, my bad I read billion. whoops! though that still may be off
    Source?

• Minion

Ummmmmm, I've been seeing that it won't be a water park, Westcot is dead, and it won't be DisneySea
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Fix DCA first the worry about a third gate...

(also why not HEAT for said water park in winter..)

Did you mean "Billion" as opposed to "Million"? It'd be hard to update a single ride in the entire DLR w/ a budget of only $11 Million...... and...... I gotta ask where you got the $11 Million/Billion figure from.............. but you could do an awful LOT w/ $11 Billion, not so much w/ only $11 Million........ (I mean DCA 1.0 "only" cost $1B, DCA 2.0 is only going to cost $1B)........ Just imagine what any of us here could design w/ $11B!

Starwberry Fields (Forever), whatever it eventually becomes, is going to be a HUGE undertaking, whatever they decide to do with it. How they fit it into the entire Disneyland Resort concept? How they meld the transport system together to build a true resort? How do they deal w/ the "800 Lb. Gorilla" question of the acquisition of Gardenwalk that just coincidentally links the land they already own to the North and South of that development......? How do they include the Marvel franchise into a 3rd park.......?

The permutations of a 3rd gate on the Strawberry Fields/Toy Story Lot are endless....... Do they get Gardenwalk? Do they have access to ground-level transport between the existing DLR and Pumba/Gardenwalk/3rd Gate?

For a lot as big as Strawberry Fields/Toy Story - I don't see a water park - too much local competition (Raging Waters/Wild Rivers) and it is a seasonal attraction - even if you put a roof over it! People in So Cal are acclimated to summertime waterparks....... it's a waste of valuable real estate for Disney to use their precious real estate for a water park........ If it had as much land as Orlando, it'd be nice, but the margins aren't there for the DLR....... which is dominated by AP's........ Although some here have suggested a water park would fit into the parking area South of the PPH, I think Disney has their eye on that area for further hotels/DVC units (I have no evidence of this, it's just my gut reaction to responses I have rec'd from WDC types.....).

I don't know enough about TDS, but I'm curious whether the land (SF/TS Lot) available would accomodate such a park, even if the cost was not in question. Also, you have the "Marvel Issue" to deal with...... ANY 3rd Gate is certainly going to have a Marvel component, and given the cost of Marvel's acquisition, I don't think it's going to be a small component........ AND........ I don't necessarily HATE Marvel, I just have a problem visualizing them in a "Disney" park...........

I fear the 3rd Gate is going to be a Marvel Gate......... Many will like it, it may even be successful, but as a traditionalist w/ no interest in Marvel, I'll generally skip it. That is NOT to say that many Marvel fans won't love it, or they won't flock in droves to it.......

If Marvel fans love the 3rd Gate, and the rest of us are spared the un-themed or ill-themed adaptations of Marvel in DL or DCA, I'm fine with it. If TDA puts one or two Marvel attractions in DL or DCA, THAT won't be the end of the world either........ so long as they are well-themed and fit (into TL or maybe a re-themed HPBL, maybe.......)........

But a 3rd Gate actually NEEDS to have a Marvel flavour (given the investment the WDC has made in acquiring Marvel) and given the "thrill" factor potential Marvel attractions would have that would not necessarily "fit" in DL or DCA............ I'm OK with that........

So long as THEY do "IT" well........... I'm becoming resigned to the 3rd Gate becoming at least a 1/2 Marvel Gate.......... they spent a lot of money on Marvel, and Disney is sometimes criticized for a lack of "thrills" in their parks...... and Marvel is currently positioned for a slew of blockbuster comic-book adventure films over the next 10 years........... A 3rd Gate seems well suited to a hybrid Marvel/TDS type of park - one that is not a clone of TDS, but fully displays Marvel in it's own environment that doesn't intrude upon the Disney idea, but provides thrills that a certain demographic want...... AND is themed to a Disney-level!

There you have it - DL for the "traditionalists", DCA for the "open-minded" (after DCA 2.0), and a Marvel "Thrill" Park for the 3rd demographic........... 3 demographics, 3 parks, traditional, new and avant-garde.................... a True Disneyland Resort. 3 Parks + Hotels/Retail to keep DLR guests on property........

Let's see what happens w/ Gardenwalk - we already know the WDC owns the land North AND South of it.............

I really don't know...... but WDC paid too much for Marvel not for it to show up in the parks........ A 3rd Gate seems just about right - put the "thrills" in a 3rd Gate, connect them with the 1st & 2nd gates by transport............ "It's a win-win" - right?

But I can always dream, can't I?

• Forgotten Spirit

I read they were thinking of doing either a westcot revival or a water park
    WestCOT Is never happening, I'm just putting that out there right now.

No, I'm fine w/ no Westcot....... I was merely pointing out that the WDC spent too much money to not have Marvel represented on the West coast. It's gonna happen....... it's only a matter of how they "leverage" their ownership of Marvel......... A 3rd Gate as a Marvel/"Thrill" Gate woud balance out the resort....... One Traditionalist, One Revisionist,, One Thrills........

While I'm fine w/ ONE Marvel attraction in TL, and maybe another in DCA/HPBL, a 3rd Gate give them the opportunity to add a "thrill" park themed to Marvel while DL and DCA retain their more traditionalist "feel".....

3 parks for 3 different demographic groups allows TDA to keep guests on-property and increase their resort "packages" for the West Coast that they so heavily market to East Coast customers....

A lot of people live West of Denver and can easily fly to the DLR in 2-1/2 hours (easier than flying to Orlando, what about Mexico? BC? - huge markets too far away from Orlando....)........ I'd think the WDC would try to grab those people instead of catering to AP's who contribute minimally to the bottom-line........

I'm a local, I'd lose out by the WDC doing this......... but I'm all for a 3rd Gate and a "true" Resort District......... (again, where's Gardenwalk in all of this.....?).

• -

If they don't put it in the existing parks, the third gate (if it ever happens beyond some unsubstantiated rumours) better have Marvel.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    No, I'm fine w/ no Westcot....... I was merely pointing out that the WDC spent too much money to not have Marvel represented on the West coast. It's gonna happen....... it's only a matter of how they "leverage" their ownership of Marvel......... A 3rd Gate as a Marvel/"Thrill" Gate woud balance out the resort....... One Traditionalist, One Revisionist,, One Thrills........

While I'm fine w/ ONE Marvel attraction in TL, and maybe another in DCA/HPBL, a 3rd Gate give them the opportunity to add a "thrill" park themed to Marvel while DL and DCA retain their more traditionalist "feel".....

3 parks for 3 different demographic groups allows TDA to keep guests on-property and increase their resort "packages" for the West Coast that they so heavily market to East Coast customers....

A lot of people live West of Denver and can easily fly to the DLR in 2-1/2 hours (easier than flying to Orlando, what about Mexico? BC? - huge markets too far away from Orlando....)........ I'd think the WDC would try to grab those people instead of catering to AP's who contribute minimally to the bottom-line........

I'm a local, I'd lose out by the WDC doing this......... but I'm all for a 3rd Gate and a "true" Resort District......... (again, where's Gardenwalk in all of this.....?).
    Since when has Disney been all about thrills? Name me one "thrill park" owned and operated by Disney. Last I knew Disney was about total immersion, if you want thrills go to Knotts or Six Flags.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Ugh the idea of a Marvel park right beside Disneyland makes me want to puke. I think they should use it for a ride or two in Tomorrowland/DCA but a whole park? No thank you.

• Artistic integrity

I see Disney pushing for a Marvel park.

There are so many other ideas I would probably prefer ahead of it. But this is what I'm thinking Disney is going to push!

And what happens with Garden Walk (which is directly across the street) will have some sort of impact on the entire decision.

Then again ........ all this chatter of selling off the parks, InOverHerHead Meg ... not so sure anymore with the future of the DLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I don't think a water park would be good because the weather isn't exactly all that warm in the winter. when i went in November and February it was kind of rainy and cold.
    you do realize it gets down to freezing in Florida some winters? I've visited WDW a few times around Christmas and just after and I can tell you it was cold enough that I never once thought of going to a water park :P. I think the water parks usually go down for refurbishment in the fall/winter in Florida?

---------- Post added 07-18-2011 at 03:18 AM ----------

I just was saying what i was told. I say either westcot or DisneySea (*crosses fingers* DisneySea, DisneySea)
    I dunno about either one of those. I wouldn't mind a hybrid that removed all the futureworld aspects from the parks since Disney obviously can't figure out what to do with the future dedicated space they already have.

Since the third gate land appears to be near housing I'd argue the best bet for a park built here would be a hybrid of DisneySea and Epcot with perhaps a few clones thrown in that can be updated or reimagined.

Grand Festa Tour would be a cheap family pleaser to add in. Norway could be updated to a longer ride and perhaps exploit its backwards drop a few more times and expand on the fantasy elements while getting rid of the ending film. They could also do a Sinbad clone which would really roundout a lineup of fun family boat rides.

a Rattatoie ride in Paris etc. Basically a nice laid back park that isn't so obnoxious it annoys the neighbors but with a strong family lineup from the start that can be enhanced by new thrills opening every year or so.

The thrills would need to remain mostly indoors as to keep the noise down for the neighbors and whatnot and it would probably end up being the park were we see the nightime parade go since Disneyland/DCA would have the fireworks and fountains tied down.

If they're wise they could really make this the romantic park to visit though.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Imagineering God

If it's gonna be a Marvel park, I better go blow my brains out right now.

An "Elements" themed park perhaps? Seems unlikely, but there's a way to shove a little bit of DisneySea, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot in that package.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast