Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• -

Re: Disneyland Resort Third Theme Park

I wish people would stop wanting clones of other parks opened here like Disney Sea. If people want to go see those other parks buy a plane ticket. The third gate needs to be something entirely new and different, preferably Marvel.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

The three Anaheim parks are probably going to settle down in time as essentially Disneyland, Pixarland and Marvelland. Not in name but in essence. Although I dread that Disneyland is slowly turning into Lucas-Burtonland. My opinion is that the third park will have Marvel as its overarching theme. Disneyland still has a reputation among some California residents as the "kids' park." My friend Erik refuses to go to Disneyland, saying it's "only for under 8 or over 80." He goes to Magic Mountain. From a market viewpoint only, it makes sense for Disney to try to capture more of the thrill-seeking teenager and young adult market. So for that they should make the third park Marvel themed with a lot of thrill attractions that are going to bring in the crowd that would normally bypass Anaheim and go to Universal or SFMM instead.

• First star to the right..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The three Anaheim parks are probably going to settle down in time as essentially Disneyland, Pixarland and Marvelland. Not in name but in essence. Although I dread that Disneyland is slowly turning into Lucas-Burtonland. My opinion is that the third park will have Marvel as its overarching theme. Disneyland still has a reputation among some California residents as the "kids' park." My friend Erik refuses to go to Disneyland, saying it's "only for under 8 or over 80." He goes to Magic Mountain. From a market viewpoint only, it makes sense for Disney to try to capture more of the thrill-seeking teenager and young adult market. So for that they should make the third park Marvel themed with a lot of thrill attractions that are going to bring in the crowd that would normally bypass Anaheim and go to Universal or SFMM instead.
    Universal doesn't have any thrill rides either...their big draw is the studio tour...they have like 2 thrill rides (JP<Splash and Mummy<Space Mountain)...

The people who go to SFMM are locals, they might a few tourists, but for the most part tourists go to dland, Universal, or Sea World/Lego Land...

I don't think they need a thrill gate, but with the success of Island of Adventures, I can see them doing something like that...seeing how its starting to be more of a pull than Disney World...

• Not on the Jedi Council

I agree with Bob. It would be a chance to do the NYC/1960s downtown look a Marvel experience would need, plus it would quiet the people who fear a Marvel invasion of the DLR. (Though the marketing stuff will obviously go to all three parks as best they can do it, sorry.)

North Highlands, California, United States

My fear of having a Marvel themed park would be the comparison to Universal Studios or Six-Flags like parks because those are predominantly comic book themed parks.

Hopefully they will not do a water park only because I doubt it will succeed in the long run.

I agree with those that would like an Epcot-ish park or maybe even have a hybrid of Pixar & Marvel. That would be worth my while at least.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPricklePants View Post
    My fear of having a Marvel themed park would be the comparison to Universal Studios or Six-Flags like parks because those are predominantly comic book themed parks.
    I believe the comparison will come out in Disney's favor though. I think the comparison will be more like people saying that the Disney version is what the other parks should have been.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I have to completely disagree with you here. Disney would be idiots trying to take the thrill route. Look at the top theme park attendance, no where do you see thrill parks. Six Flags Magic Mountain won't make top 25, Cedar Point isn't to high up on the list. It's themed Disney quality experiences that bring in the crowds, not thrills. When you try to copy other theme parks (as Eisner was dumb enough to do with DHS) you get a sub-standard Disney theme park. Great Disney Parks are not rehashes of Six Flags or Universal.

• Future Imagineer! =D

I haven't heard anything about a 3rd park, but honestly I'm fine with DLR and DCA. Adding a 3rd park would only cause prices to go up again and I don't have that much faith in Disney. I honestly don't think it would be amazing. I've heard DisneySea is amazing. Maybe they need to bring the Tokyo team over here...

Oh, and NO Marvel. I'm still in denial. Bleh. Keep it out of the parks): Sorry Marvel fans. It's just not Disney...
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    I haven't heard anything about a 3rd park, but honestly I'm fine with DLR and DCA. Adding a 3rd park would only cause prices to go up again and I don't have that much faith in Disney. I honestly don't think it would be amazing. I've heard DisneySea is amazing. Maybe they need to bring the Tokyo team over here...

Oh, and NO Marvel. I'm still in denial. Bleh. Keep it out of the parks): Sorry Marvel fans. It's just not Disney...
    how would a third park cause price raising? They've never stopped raising prices and I doubt they'll slow down even if expansion subsided. Look at WDW, they're adding attractions at a considerably slow pace and cutting back constantly on maintenance and perks yet prices are increasing without end.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

There is really no disagreement about making a third theme park here. Work on DCA (after CarsLand is fixed, do something about Bugs Land and work on HPB a little bit), work on Gardenwalk and make it like DTD North or something, buy out some hotels from around the property, then think about another park. So that won't be for another 25 years or so.

• Just good enough

Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    The unique challenge about the new property is that it's small and far away. At least DCA has the conveince of being next door to Disneyland. This third gate will take some effort to get to so anything short of a stand-alone park will not succeed. While this doesn't spell doom, it just means that a 3rd gate will need to have a strong enough theme, appeal to a broad enough audience, and be high enough quality to generate high attendance numbers (none of this "parks start small" baloney).
    It's not really an issue in Orlando is it? And those parks are even further away from each other. There are plenty of shuttles and water launches to get from one park or another. I didn't really see it as an issue and being 2 blocks away really isn't that far of a distance to be honest.

88 acres though? Doesn't seem like a lot of space to me, in comparison how big is DCA?
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

• The Legend Ends

DCA=55 acres
    33 acres bigger
    I believe in Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty was real.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Disney owned the 'Third Theme Park' land before they bought Marvel - and even though they were wobbling in their thinking between "Water Park" or "Pixar Park" when they bought the strawberry fields from the Fukujima family, it's almost inevitable they're going to do something Marvel based over there.

They have to (excuse the term) "Follow the Money" to keep the shareholders happy, and there's already a lot of Pixar influence at DL and DCA.

The synergy I'm not seeing here is Disney not having Pixar or Disney Digital (or a new "Touchstone Pictures" style arms-length "separate company" unit set up for CGI digital films) doing a CGI Animated Marvel Universe film that could go Franchise - and be a good seed for cementing down the basic theme and starting construction on the Third Theme Park.

Frankly it's hard to stretch some comic books into a Live Action film, even when they CGI the heck out of the effects the live bodies still stretch the 'Suspension of Disbelief' to the limits... Better to have it All CGI.

Or heck, even all Hand Drawn Animation - even if they "tween" and produce a lot of it with CGI.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

I don't believe the third gate would be an issue as far as transportation. In Orlando, the parks are even farther apart, but they have lots of shuttles running throughout the resort, as well as boats and other novelties. I don't think a park 2 blocks away would be much of an inconvenience for the WDC.

Secondly, with the opening of a third gate, Disney needs to appeal to a demographic that hasn't quite been reached yet: thrillseekers. Disneyland gets a bad rap from ages 16-28 (or people without children, for that matter) for being too childish and unentertaining. I third gate could be fashioned to appeal to these thrillseekers, while still creating a wonderfully themed family park.

That said, I think a large part of it should be a Marvel park. Disney could make the Marvel land that Universal never could. And as far as people saying that Marvel would only appeal to a samll number of visitors, just look at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! Marvel has just as many fans as Harry Potter (if not more), and yet people who don't even know the Potter series are flooding Islands of Adventure to see Hogwarts. WWoHP has created huge success, because it was done right. If Disney could do Marvel right, just think of the opportunity. Thrill rides, restaurants, themed lands, and merchandise! Not to mention upcoming movies, and keeping Marvel out of the other parks! Just my two cents...

• -

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    Marvel is Disney now, haven't you heard the news, Disney owns it. It is now just as much Disney as Pixar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    how would a third park cause price raising?
    For general admission, it would not significantly impact the prices. For annual passes, however it would cause a huge increase because the pass would now include three parks.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast