Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Disneyland Resort Third Theme Park

Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    I have to completely disagree with you here. Disney would be idiots trying to take the thrill route. Look at the top theme park attendance, no where do you see thrill parks. Six Flags Magic Mountain won't make top 25, Cedar Point isn't to high up on the list. It's themed Disney quality experiences that bring in the crowds, not thrills. When you try to copy other theme parks (as Eisner was dumb enough to do with DHS) you get a sub-standard Disney theme park. Great Disney Parks are not rehashes of Six Flags or Universal.
    i think a park with lots of thrills would need to also have a balance of family friendly attractions for it to work. a park similar to IOA is a good example of a well themed park with plenty of thrills that would work for a third gate. The lands need to be well themed and the amount of iron looming over the park would have to be minimal to almost non existent for it to work within a Disney environment.

I happen to see artwork for an idea that WDI had envisioned for Tokyo's tomorrowland and it included some very cleverly themed outdoor coasters that would have given that park plenty of thrills

I hope that it is not a water park.

"I hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymark34 View Post
    I hope that it is not a water park.
    Probably not - there are already several Water Parks around here, and one big challenge is even in Southern California's mild climate they can't be truly economically viable year-round unless they are indoors. Which is feasible, but it raises the bar (and the energy bills) yet another notch.

And the demand isn't year round, even if the park could be. They have to actively figure out how to draw more people into the park in the winter.

Another big issue is money, you have to go to the 'electronic money wristband' system for people to spend, since they can't carry a wallet. IMHO that makes it harder to seperate the tourist from their money - when they have to reload the system *Again?!?" for the second or third time that day, they stop. Credit cards they can just keep going till the issuer says Stop.

They might have some water-based rides, but that's not the same. It's trivial on some rides to turn the Splash Factor down quite a bit when it's cold out, like GRR turns the Geysers down so they don't actually get you - but with some designs like the big drop on GRR fluke drenchings can still happen even when they try not to.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    i think a park with lots of thrills would need to also have a balance of family friendly attractions for it to work. a park similar to IOA is a good example of a well themed park with plenty of thrills that would work for a third gate. The lands need to be well themed and the amount of iron looming over the park would have to be minimal to almost non existent for it to work within a Disney environment.
    If Disney went the IoA route and built massive, unthemed coasters, I'd loose near-all respect for WDI.

---------- Post added 07-19-2011 at 11:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TMRWfan View Post
    Secondly, with the opening of a third gate, Disney needs to appeal to a demographic that hasn't quite been reached yet: thrillseekers. Disneyland gets a bad rap from ages 16-28 (or people without children, for that matter) for being too childish and unentertaining. I third gate could be fashioned to appeal to these thrillseekers, while still creating a wonderfully themed family park.
    However 16-28 year olds aren't the ones with the $$$. Why should Disney change their formula? The most popular non-Magic Kingdom theme park on the planet is not Six Flags, Cedar Point, or even Islands of Adventure, it's Tokyo DisneySEA. Why? Because it maintains the formula of the original Magic Kingdom, but with a new theme. It doesn't try to be hip, or cool, or modern, or even appeal to a completely different audience. It doesn't make sense to build a park that attracts a different crowd from Disneyland. Disneyland is the 2nd most popular park on the planet, so why would you change that formula?

• Banned User

I read somewhere it was gonna be a whole park themed just to America. It said it would have things like Liberty Square and tthe American Adventure (I'm not really sure what that is. Is it at WDW?) That's what I heard. I hope Disney Sea though.

EDIT: Idea! How about just make it a storage facility and a special place for the CM so they can expand DL and DCA in the backstage areas like I mentioned in another post on another page. I know most people want another park but I think it's just too far from DL. If they were to build another park they should build one of the border of NY and Canada. They could have Disneyland and a park with a theming of Canada and the Niagra Falls. Feedback please?
    Last edited by Sam the Eagle; 07-19-2011 at 10:48 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Eagle View Post
    I read somewhere it was gonna be a whole park themed just to America. It said it would have things like Liberty Square and tthe American Adventure (I'm not really sure what that is. Is it at WDW?) That's what I heard. I hope Disney Sea though.
    That was a park for Virgina, not a 3rd gate.

• Stuck in 1993

Might as well throw my two cents in. I have no idea what they are planning here, but yes, amazing theming is what Disney is known for, and what brings people in. We are looking for a place that transports you out of your daily life, and into a fictional world.

Personally, I would like to see an IoA type place-- not with the towering roller coasters that break skyline or look terrible, but rather several very distinctively themed areas. Universal did a fantastic job with IoA, the Marvel land they have is awesome, the old comics land is great, Jurassic Park, and the lost continent are pretty good, Wizarding World is amazing, and the land of Dr. Seuss is mind melting.

With the classic parks, Disney has almost always played the more conservative game with classic archetypes, mass appeal (in all lands), and classic theming (I feel like Tomorrowland redo is being held back because of this conservative nature-- they don't want something to extreme or visionary in such a classic park); so I would really like to see a park where Imagineers can just go nuts. I'd like to see Disney's take on a Marvel themed land, with a dark ride, walk through attraction, what have you. Additionally, Toontown does not belong in DL, but rather a reimagining (i.e. basing building and 'toon' style off of classic Disney animated films instead of Roger Rabbit) may work well here. Something that feels as though we are stepping into an animated movie.

Disney has access to a billion different IPs, and I'd love to see this park feature unique theming that completely takes us out of not only our world, but into worlds where physics and other constants in our world seem to not apply.

• Banned User

They can't copy Disney Sea because they ahve the ToT at DCA and Indiana Jones at DL and also the Little Mermaid at DCA so what would there be in Disney Sea if it were to come to America?

• Banned User

They can't copy Disney Sea because they ahve the ToT at DCA and Indiana Jones at DL and also the Little Mermaid at DCA so what would there be in Disney Sea if it were to come to America?
    There isn't enough room for an exact copy of TDS in the first place so it wasn't ever even on the table.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Bendall View Post
    I'd love to see this park feature unique theming that completely takes us out of not only our world, but into worlds where physics and other constants in our world seem to not apply.
    Perfect. We can have them design a park with no gravity.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Idea! How about just make it a storage facility and a special place for the CM so they can expand DL and DCA in the backstage areas like I mentioned in another post on another page. I know most people want another park but I think it's just too far from DL. If they were to build another park they should build one of the border of NY and Canada. They could have Disneyland and a park with a theming of Canada and the Niagra Falls. Feedback please?
    Not a bad idea, but that's not what you do with the TTP Site, a prime lot on Harbor right across from the Anaheim Convention Center - that really would be more useful as a Third Gate of some sort.

If they were going to go Offsite for offices and shops they could pick a more Industrial area. There are a few industrial districts that would work far better for this within a mile, just north of Disneyland on both sides of the freeway. Wrap around the back-side of the Sheraton, and use the old "Banco Popular" high-rise for the Executive Offices. (They kinda wrecked the street access to it for use as a regular office building...)

If they put all the big warehouses and repair facilities they can and the Executive Offices totally off-site, Dig out under the Ball Road freeway bridge and put a private underpass, they could build the Parade Float Barn and other things on the old Spaghetti Factory site and that other stranded land on Ox Road right next to the freeway.

That would give them room to take Disneyland darned near all the way to Ball Road, with a few big ride buildings built in the fireworks fallout zone instead of the warehouses and rehearsal halls.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• The Legend Ends

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Perfect. We can have them design a park with no gravity.

Experience how it is to be an astronaut!

When can i buy tickets?
    I believe in Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty was real.

• Minion FOREVER!

For completely over-the-top idea, I say have them do a swap w/ the convention center, raze the current building, put Katella traffic underground, build "DisneySky" there w/ a monorail stop.

So what kinds of "Sky's"?

Here's my take....

"Blue Sky" (Westcot concepts, Future)
    "Black Sky" (Villain land)
    "Red Sky" (Immersive thrill rides - ala SpaceM, ST2)
    "Green Sky" (Nature/Eco)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post

"Blue Sky" (Westcot concepts, Future)
    "Black Sky" (Villain land)
    "Red Sky" (Immersive thrill rides - ala SpaceM, ST2)
    "Green Sky" (Nature/Eco)
    I don't understand how that could cohesively work with the sky always being the same color? Even thematically, I don't get how it works together.

TTP site? What's that?

As for Banco Popular - wouldn't Disney also need the land the Sheraton sits on? All the land North of Ball Road and East of Disneyland Drive - a huge chunk of land..... but probably VERY expensive...... you could put almost all of the backstage operations North of Ball Road w/ several underpasses to allow backstage traffic to get on-stage..... but it would be very expensive.

I'd love it, but I think I'd rather have Gardenwalk to connect Pumba/ARTIC to the 3rd Gate at Strawberry Fields/Toy Story.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast