Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland Resort Third Theme Park

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    So, of this entire block, what section(s) does Disney own? and what is everything else?

I haven't been to the Toy Story Lot so I don't know which section is Toy Story and which is Cast Member (North or South). My guess is CM is the North, long and skinny section, and toy Story is the lower section (since it is bigger... I think). And if Disney owns the un-developed land surrounding TS lot, then they have enough land for the 3rd park, but I think before they build it they would have to buy everything on the corner of Harbor & Katella.

They will almost certainly not be able to buy any of the properties along Harbor and Katella. Some of them are hotels and the City would not want to lose the tax revenue they produce. But they really don't need them, they just need some clever design to deal with sightlines. But as I said before, there are rumors that they have been quietly buying up the apartment buildings to the south and east. If they can get those, they'll have plenty of space for a nice sized park.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Emeline Rhodes View Post
    A third park would be welcome, as are the changes that are currently undergoing DCA. Please say Soarin stays!

I am hoping that there will be more like an Epicot style park, animal kingdom maybe, and save the marvel/comic books for a different area.

A waterpark would also be nice, but I am hoping that if there is to be another park that there is adeqaute transportation, for i can not even begin to count the number of times that i have gone to catch the monorail and ended up walking because it broke down again. Don't get me wrong, i like riding on the monorail, but there needs to be more than one on the line and more than one stop. Also, I should be able to ride it a full circuit or more. /rant
    you don't need to get off at DTD if you load up in Tomorrowland. And yes, I think a lot of people would appreciate some kind of transportation (preferably not just a bus though, I would prefer a tram system, People Mover, or to have the Monorail be a true transportation device (not just an attraction). Have a stop at all 3 parks, then after it hits DCA, go through the GCH, then move the DTD stop to closer to the PPH and DLH (more space between DCA and DTD stop).

---------- Post added 07-22-2011 at 07:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    They will almost certainly not be able to buy any of the properties along Harbor and Katella. Some of them are hotels and the City would not want to lose the tax revenue they produce. But they really don't need them, they just need some clever design to deal with sightlines. But as I said before, there are rumors that they have been quietly buying up the apartment buildings to the south and east. If they can get those, they'll have plenty of space for a nice sized park.
    Do they really get that much from hotels that small? Plus, the more of that block they buy up, the bigger they can make the park (keep in mind a third park over here can't share backstage with DL the way that DCA can).
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• The Mysterious

Nope, i would say that there is not that much revenue from those hotels, yet getting rid of them would be a major hit nonetheless. If, however, there was a large park and the addition of more hotels on disney property, selling packages, and bringing in more money.

I would be happy to see a westcot idea, espeically with a very diverse hotel. looking at flordia, DLR is in major need of a couple more hotels that are oficially Disney.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Emeline Rhodes View Post
    Nope, i would say that there is not that much revenue from those hotels, yet getting rid of them would be a major hit nonetheless. If, however, there was a large park and the addition of more hotels on disney property, selling packages, and bringing in more money.

I would be happy to see a westcot idea, espeically with a very diverse hotel. looking at flordia, DLR is in major need of a couple more hotels that are oficially Disney.
    I would rather have something mythology/legend based. I know tat if I ever go to WDW I would be skipping EPCOT, and would only hit MK, DHS, and DAK.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post

Do they really get that much from hotels that small? Plus, the more of that block they buy up, the bigger they can make the park (keep in mind a third park over here can't share backstage with DL the way that DCA can).
    There's three of four hotels including a Red Lion, which is fairly new and probably pays the highest luxury rates plus a few restaurants. There's also been discussion of a new 4 star hotel to eventually replace the old motor lodge on the corner, which would be paying major bucks to the City. The City would want to see Disney develop more rooms on their own property, or the two properties east of Gardenwalk, which are already zoned for that. Plus, it's unnecessary, they can easily work around the corner, they really don't need that land.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

If they are smart, Disney will have transportation of some sort between their hotels (and the "Good Neighbor" affiliates), Disneyland and DCA, and the Third Theme Park - whatever it turns out to be. The Monorail or Peoplemover options would cost a ton to construct, but they would keep the customers firmly "On Disney Property" the whole way.

The same thinking works for the Disney owned (chartered) "Magical Express" Buses at WDW - Disney controlled transportation straight from the Airport Terminal to your DisneyWorld Hotel, and no detours at SuperTarget Publix Safeway Sam's Club or Costco for groceries and supplies on the way, or stops at independent souvenier shops or restaurants.

And if they can keep you happy by running you around the resort with the Buses and Monorails once you arrive, there's no thinking about lodging at the inexpensive hotels and motels offered at International Drive, Crossroads and Kissimmee.

You don't want your customers to be going offsite and walking or driving themselves between your properties - because they go in front of someone else's. The outside businesses can undercut the Theme Park prices easily and still make a *very* healthy profit, and can siphon off some of the money Disney could be making at restaurants and shops along the way. Much better to keep the audience captive and buying from you.

This is why the 7-11 that'll be hiding behind the hills of CarsLand on the NW corner of Harbor and Katella, and the businesses along the east side of Harbor Blvd aren't selling their land to anyone unless you are willing to pay an extreme premium. Millions an acre. Because they are all making beaucoup bucks - that 7-11 is the highest profit location in the entire chain, and the same for the McDonalds, even after you learn that the locals avoid those stores because the prices are notably higher than identical stores a mile away.

Disney might get a better deal buying up all the apartment buildings in that block along Orangewood and Haster - but if the sellers know it's Disney who's buying, they'll still be charging a premium price, plus the residents would milk it all they could for relocation fees to leave quietly. Those lots are big enough to build small Motels on and they could make a mint selling the lots to lodging developers, and being "right next door to X" is still a good selling point.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I really want sales data from that McDonald's to compare with that which I compiled in my years at the chain.

• Insomniac

Why does everyone dwell on the past? Wescot didn't happen for many many reasons, some completely out of Disney's control. Since costs have only gone up and I'm sure the same residents who protested the height of many of the attractions would do the same now, I do not see wescot happening ever. I look forward to Disney using it's remaining property in Anaheim much more wisely than they did DCA. The one thing I hope Disney will move away from is the use of character based rides. TDA has built 1 attraction not based on a character since 2002. And that is ToT which was based after a TV show. Most of the appeal Disney has is their non character based rides.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Disney might get a better deal buying up all the apartment buildings in that block along Orangewood and Haster - but if the sellers know it's Disney who's buying, they'll still be charging a premium price, plus the residents would milk it all they could for relocation fees to leave quietly. Those lots are big enough to build small Motels on and they could make a mint selling the lots to lodging developers, and being "right next door to X" is still a good selling point.

--<< Bruce >>--
    This is why Disney needs to do the exact same thing that Walt and Roy did back when they bought all the land for WDW and use "fake" companies to buy the land (ones that only the feds could trace back to Disney, not realtors or land owners... unless of course they're feds)
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

^I wonder if the owners in the area have an agreement to tell each other (secretly or whatever) if they get a random purchase offer. It would be smart to prevent Disney from snapping up "cheap" land.

Either way, regulations make it hard for anything like the Florida purchases to happen again. Someone somewhere would notice the extra purchases in such a dense area and blow the whistle.

Swamp is one thing, but hotels in a city is another completely.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    ^I wonder if the owners in the area have an agreement to tell each other (secretly or whatever) if they get a random purchase offer. It would be smart to prevent Disney from snapping up "cheap" land.

Either way, regulations make it hard for anything like the Florida purchases to happen again. Someone somewhere would notice the extra purchases in such a dense area and blow the whistle.

Swamp is one thing, but hotels in a city is another completely.
    Aren't Disney and the Local Gov usually on the same page? Couldn't Disney talk to the local gov to get support? What if they take the land of the current small hotels and turn it into one bigger hotel (like GCH size and prices).
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

How?

Even if Disney and the Government are the best of pals, the property owners are going to add a couple zeros to their asking price the second they find out Disney is the company trying to buy them, and the surrounding hotels up. Imagine the asking price the last hotel on the block would demand if they knew Disney just needed their property to finish of the block.

Sure, the government can forcefully buy property from owners, but the fair price of the property would end up being decided in a costly court case. Then, they would somehow have to transfer all that land to Disney. I don't think thats legal.

Basically, Government support isn't the issue. The issue is the insane prices hotel owners would demand to sell their properties.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    How?

Even if Disney and the Government are the best of pals, the property owners are going to add a couple zeros to their asking price the second they find out Disney is the company trying to buy them, and the surrounding hotels up. Imagine the asking price the last hotel on the block would demand if they knew Disney just needed their property to finish of the block.

Sure, the government can forcefully buy property from owners, but the fair price of the property would end up being decided in a costly court case. Then, they would somehow have to transfer all that land to Disney. I don't think thats legal.

Basically, Government support isn't the issue. The issue is the insane prices hotel owners would demand to sell their properties.
    But what if Disney set up new divisions that aren't connected to each other, or Disney, and had each division buy separate plots of land, keep the land stagnate, then finally, after the last parcel is acquired, then come out and admit that it was Disney all along, good old lying with a smile on their face.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

As I said, that trick doesn't work anymore. Someone would notice the large number of purchases and put it together. One or two hotels sell a year. If suddenly four on a block are purchased, there is no way to hide that regardless of what the name on the deed says.

• Pin Traders

i think Disneyland owns the OC and if they want to expand nothing with stand in there way.
    so maybe someday the hole OC will be one big park hehehehehe with a people mover or trolly cars
    to take you around never know.

i mean they already have there own carpool off ramp lol

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast