Thread: Road trip to DL

• Banned User

Road trip to DL

Hi everyone

I'm making a move from Seattle to Orange, CA (10min from Disneyland) for college next week. Once we get settled in we're all going to DL, but on my drive down, my company and I would like to make one or two fun stops along the way. I was thinking like Universal or Magic Mountain, but they are too close too my destination. Any other similar ideas sans the Bay Area? Thanks!

Re: Road trip to DL

Being from the Bay Area...I say hit 5 south all the way south and bypass it. Nothing too epic here. I would say still hit Universal, still a bit from Orange and great for a one day stop. Not too much exciting in Bay Area other than San Fran, but that is more touristy than adventure and exciting, especially for a college crowd.

Ditch Magic Mountain unless you are a die hard Roller Coaster fan, otherwise it is a dump in my opinion and get to DL faster!

The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco is great!

• Banned User

Thanks for the encouragement on Universal! And I was saying that I don't want to go to the Bay as I frequent SFO yearly (hence "sans the bay area)

• Pin Traders

5 freeway to Magic mountain to the 170 to universal to the 134 back to the 5 to Griffith park and the la zoo and train rides musuim and a lot more then on to Disneyland

• Banned User

The WDFM sounds great actually! Just to clarify, we're looking for a place to visit for a few hours.

The Getty Museum (about an hour north of Disneyland) is an awesome spot. Even if you don't actually go in and look at its priceless collection of art, it's worth it to just take in the dramatic setting up in the mountains overlooking all of LA. And if I recall correctly, admission is free -- although I think parking may cost something; and you may need a reservation.

A couple of other lovely spots to wander around are The Huntington and Descanso Gardens.

Have a fun, safe trip!

• formerly very helpful

No reservations necessary at the Getty. Just drive on in and park. I'd expect parking to be about $10 or so, but I'm not sure.

How about San Simeon? I've never been there, but people talk about it often. Also, Santa Barbara is a nice place to stroll around.

Monterey Bay and Santa Cruz are probably too close to the Bay area, but if not, they're worth seeing. and San Jose has the Winchester Mystery House.

• Retired

Ever been on an Aircraft Carrier? USS Hornet, CVS-12 is in Alameda. www.uss-hornet.org

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    No reservations necessary at the Getty. Just drive on in and park. I'd expect parking to be about $10 or so, but I'm not sure.

How about San Simeon? I've never been there, but people talk about it often. Also, Santa Barbara is a nice place to stroll around.

Monterey Bay and Santa Cruz are probably too close to the Bay area, but if not, they're worth seeing. and San Jose has the Winchester Mystery House.
    San Simeon is very pretty. You could also make a stop at Hearst Castle and Avila Beach (I am very partial to that beach since I grew up there) all in the central coast of California. It is about a 5 hour drive to Orange from there. Welcome to the best state ever

If you've got time, you could drive down through Yosemite or some of the there national parks on the eastern Californian border. Of course if you aren't much of a hiker or into nature, this wouldn't be a whole lot of fun. But I enjoy it!

• Keepin' it calsteady

If you're outdoorsy at all, go to Lake Tahoe. The south side is gambling, but the north and west shores have lots of hiking, mountain-biking, waterskiing, etc. options. It's really beautiful. From there, like Stitch626626 says, you could head south to Yosemite (except it's probably totally booked this time of year).

On the other side, driving down the coast through Carmel, Big Sur, Santa Barbara and other small towns is a popular road trip.

• Just good enough

Monterey Bay Aquarium is nice, you could hop on down from there from Highway 1, then connect afterwards by the 101 I believe and then get back on the 5 from there. It's really neat and quite possibly one of the best of its kind in the world.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.