Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• șoș Tom șoș

The Origins of both Pirates and Haunted Mansion

Does anyone know the French story the Haunted Mansion and Pirates were based on? I went a few years ago with a literature major who mentioned a very unknown story that was the inspiration for both and connects them.

If anyone knows the author and book and if its been translated, I would be very thankful for the info

-OR-

Can anyone debunk this rumor?

• It's all nonsense

I've never heard of either ride being based on a specific historical story. I know POTC has influences from real pirates (ie:Laffites Landing sign when you load is based on the pirates Jean and Pierre Laffite).

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Does anyone know the French story the Haunted Mansion and Pirates were based on? I went a few years ago with a literature major who mentioned a very unknown story that was the inspiration for both and connects them.

If anyone knows the author and book and if its been translated, I would be very thankful for the info

-OR-

Can anyone debunk this rumor?

I don't think they were but you can check out fan websites on the rides...

Haunted Manison

Pirates

They are made by the same guy... The History section of each site is thoroughly researched....
    Check out my other blog:

• Dread Pirate Roberts #137

I seriously doubt that these stories (or what's left of them) have been taken from any specific source. I mean, come on...how many stories can there be about pirates raiding a village or a man murdering his bride? Quite a few, I'd say.
    Trivia: On April Fool's Day 2004, Disneyland guests found -- at the insistence of the board of directors -- the gigantic dragon featured in Fantasmic replaced with a gigantic Roy Disney (leading to a reprimand to the cast member playing Mickey Mouse when he hugged the giant instead of fighting it)

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Indy95
    I seriously doubt that these stories (or what's left of them) have been taken from any specific source. I mean, come on...how many stories can there be about pirates raiding a village or a man murdering his bride? Quite a few, I'd say.
    Well, the pirate on the ship reminds me of a simplified version of Captain Morgan... But you know, not all pirates are men... I love the pictures of Anne Bonney and Mary Reed by the door of the ride... of course no body gets to see it because it is located in an odd location... I say more female pirates...
    Check out my other blog:

• șoș Tom șoș

The story I heard was not well explained, but it went like this, a couple bride and groom living in New Orleans were about to get married when the husband was forced to goto see and become a pirate of sorts (one of the skeltons I was told) therefore the wife in her dilgence to her fiance waited years and years in the old decreped house while sutor after sutor came and they all become trapped and died in the house in some mysterious fashion--I am not sure if the husband then did reappear or not or just died on the open seas.

Now the evidence I was given was actually pretty interesting- Per example in Haunted Mansion after exiting the elevator, one of the painting is a ship, which changes from a normal ship to a black stormy ghost ship (like the black pearl). Then in Pirates as you enter the chambers of the Captain there is a painting of a women on the right side of the boat, above the bar, in the same style as the painting in the Haunted Mansion.

Now my understanding from this Lit major was that Disney never won the rights to this very unknown story and it was not to be acknowledged by the Imagineering department. Curious and curioser...

• It's all nonsense

I think the makers of POTC and HM did this on purpose just so people could use their imagination to create their own story.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Now the evidence I was given was actually pretty interesting- Per example in Haunted Mansion after exiting the elevator, one of the painting is a ship, which changes from a normal ship to a black stormy ghost ship (like the black pearl). Then in Pirates as you enter the chambers of the Captain there is a painting of a women on the right side of the boat, above the bar, in the same style as the painting in the Haunted Mansion.
    Considering they used the same concept artists... and where in production/design at the same time... I am not surprised by this at all...
    Check out my other blog:

• No bacon; sausage.

During the creation of Haunted Mansion, there was a very loose story involving a sea captain and his bride. He died at sea. Thus the ship. That story was not adhered to strictly at all. As a matter of fact, Walt specifically said that he didn't want a cohesive story, just a loose series of scenes and a vague "history" of finding this abandom mansions.

• șoș Tom șoș

Thanks Bacon, I knew I had heard something about that and while reading the link to the Haunted Mansion site that Cellerhound posted, I couldn't find much in there but I swore I had also read it somewhere, thought I was going crazy.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    This is what I heard about the Mansion when I worked there. It was suppossedly loosely based on a story about a soldier (civil war perhaps, I don't remember that part, but I thought that had something to do with its placement in New Orleans Square) who goes to war (on a ship somewhere) His bride is unfaithful to him while he is gone and he catches her when he comes home. He kills her suitor and also his wife (he cuts her head off- hence Madame Leota's presence) and then hangs himself in despair (his corpse is in the stretching room). I don't know how true it is, but it kinda makes sense, especially the bride in the attic.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• No bacon; sausage.

Yes, that is the original story. WDW's is more connected to that story. In the end, while elements of that story are still present in the Haunted Mansion, Walt wanted it less rigid than that.

• Gay Man

Now Phantom Manor has a specific story that the ride was designed to tell. It is not a classic or published story at all, but one created by WDI.

Pirates story is also a WDI creation.

• Minion

Yeah, considering some of the concept art for Mansion, esp. when it was essentially a house of oddities or a walk-through, I'd say story was never more than a secondary concern. Although, I'd love to see whatever story accounted for the Octopus Tank!!!
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    This is what I heard about the Mansion when I worked there. It was suppossedly loosely based on a story about a soldier (civil war perhaps, I don't remember that part, but I thought that had something to do with its placement in New Orleans Square) who goes to war (on a ship somewhere) His bride is unfaithful to him while he is gone and he catches her when he comes home. He kills her suitor and also his wife (he cuts her head off- hence Madame Leota's presence) and then hangs himself in despair (his corpse is in the stretching room). I don't know how true it is, but it kinda makes sense, especially the bride in the attic.
    My guess that was generated after the fact... Because there was the story that was supposed to be the ride, and then there was a story for the "Musieum of the Wierd..." Walt died before he could pick one, so it got mashed together...

So I bet this was picked as an explaination which would fit both the location and each experiance...

The great thing about ghost stories is that they all have comon elements like this... And they travel from place to place... I recomend researching ghost stories on Snopes.com... some are pretty cool...

What always gets me is that the house isn't from the NO area... but from New England...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast