Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disney College Program Application ? - Can any reps help?

Hello all! I'm hoping to reach some DCP reps, not 100% sure if this is the proper forum, if not please feel free to move it, mods (though I am hoping to reach the largest audience, which is the DLR forum...).

Are you permitted to apply to both the DLR College Program and the WDW College Program for the same semester? I'm applying for Spring 2012 soon and I'd like to apply to both and use WDW as my "backup" in case I don't get into the DLR program. Is this possible, or do they only allow you to apply to one or the other?

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this for me!
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Disney Obsessed

Re: Disney College Program Application ? - Can any reps help?

I used to be a rep and I did the WDW CP in Spring 2006... and I don't think you can apply for both at the same time.. not 100% sure though... but let me try to persuade you a little... I LOVE (like love love love can't get my mind off DL) BUT I think if you want a truly amazing CP experience you should do WDWs. They have housing available for all participants, not an option for DLR CP. They have numerous hotels, water parks, DTD, and their 4 parks... to offer you many job opportunities, and a greater chance of getting into the program (never heard of anyone turned away from the program) It also provides you with a chance to meet so many people! Because it is such a large park they take a ton of CPs and you can make so many new friends!! I loved it! And since your sig says youve only been out there once in 1995 you'll get a ton of new experiences from the parks. I, in no way, think WDW is a better park, but because of it's sheer size you have a plethora of opportunities. If you're serious about the internships, I would say do the first in WDW then maybe apply for an advanced internship in DLR. Just my opinion.

• Dreams do come true

I agree with CSei2011 with choosing WDW. My manager did the same program and there were many jobs to choose from. She said she had such a blast. I wish I would have done the program before I met my Fiance and started to plan a future haha.

• Banned User

Yes I'm applying in Sep and would also love to acquire the help of a MC rep!

• Former CM

OP, you can only apply for one in a semester. I know the above mc'ers are saying to choose Disneyworld but as a former Disneyland DCP'er I'd highly, highly recommend the West Coast experience. It's unlike anything else, even WDW. I have many friends who have done both programs, some who have done the WDW program first and some who did the DL program first and the response from them (except one) was that the DL program is better.

• Banned User

DL Freak I'm curious to hear whatcha doing now if you don't mind me asking? I'm also living in Seattle right now.

• Former DL & WDW CM

Quote Originally Posted by CSei2011 View Post
    BUT I think if you want a truly amazing CP experience you should do WDWs. They have housing available for all participants, not an option for DLR CP. .

That's actually not true. I just did the DLR program in Fall 2010 and they do have a housing complex, Carnegie Plaza, that we all lived in. Some people chose to live off site, but no one who wanted to live in Carnegie was turned away due to lack of space. They accept a lot fewer CPs at DLR, so they normally have enough space.

That said, I'm pretty positive you can't apply for both during the same term I'm going to be doing the WDW this fall, and what was said above about having better advancement opportunities at WDW is likely true. That is where the bulk of the Professional Internships are, and your location managers can help you with connections later on. However, DLR is a much smaller program, meaning you don't have as many CPs to compete against for attention. During my time, I was able to personally speak with 3 managers in the area I am interested in working in, as well as the VP of DLR through the Leadership Speaker Series course I took (he hung out afterwards to chat). If you're a Disney history buff or a big Walt fan, DLR is for you. We got to take a backstage tour of the Haunted Mansion, Walt's apartment on Main Street, and Walt Disney Studios.

Either way, the College Program is an awesome experience. You get out of it what you put in, and as cliche as this sounds, it really changes your perspective on life.

Good luck with appliactions!

• Banned User

Thanks for the info and I know I'm not OP but I'm so interested in the College Program.

Would you answer this for me?
    How flexible are their schedules as far as working with your college schedule?

• Disney Obsessed

ojeilatan- oh this must be new! well I havent been a rep in years so maybe not THAT new. I just remember when I was a rep that they had like a drawing to see who got housing. When I was in FL my manager set up all kinds of met ups with different departments for me... I really didn't have anything specific I wanted to do or see out there... I just wanted to do it all! haha. So I guess it comes down to what you prefer... DL sounds (correct me if i'm wrong since I've never done it) more intimate.. FL more massive and tons of different work opportunities (you can pick up a shift in different job roles to try it out). To be honest if I could go back I wouldve done them both... but I choose WDW not just because of lack of DL housing at the time, but because DL is my home park, and I wanted a totally different experience, I wanted as far away from home as I could go (I like in AZ) and I wanted to see something totally new to me, since I had never been to WDW and at the time it also seemed like the only time I would ever be able to go out there.

Rise- how are you planning on going to college with the program? and have you looked on the website for the program yet?

• Banned User

I did I went through the whole process. I guess I just don't understand why they call it the college program if you can't do it while you're in college.

• Disney Obsessed

you can... I did 12 credits while on the program.... thats why I was asking you what kind of "college" are you doing?

for me, I went through a community college, they (at least out here in AZ) were more willing to be flexible than a university.... and I got credit for a job experience class, 3credits, I got 3 credits for some other class similar to that one, and I got 3 credits for each of the classes I took while on the program, I just had to bring all my work back with me for a teacher to grade, and for the job experience one I had to write weekly emails to a teacher about my program and what I was learning.

Other people just did online classes, because those credits went towards their actual diploma where as mine were just extra credits (though kept me on my parents health insurance!!!)

So you have options, just what were you looking for? Since you live in seattle it would not be wise, or cheap, to transfer to a university out in cali..... and disney would not be flexible with that school schedule as a CP.. as a normal cast member sure.. but not as a CP.

• Banned User

Oh i"m sorry I misunderstood. I'm going to Chapman University in Orange, CA taking 12 credits. I was hoping to see if you knew if CP would work around my schedule if for example I had class til 2:14AM MWF and no class TT.

I know of someone who applied to both programs at the same time... don't know if she was allowed to or not but she did. She applied to WDW's program and while pending, applied to DL's.

• Former CM

Hmm...I don't know how she got away with that one.

Rise-I am about to start school here in Seattle at Cornish College of the Arts.

• Disney Obsessed

rise- no they wont. you have to have open availability. The only thing they really work with is the classes that they offer. but you can do online classes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast