Question Is Ride Max worth it?

Has anyone ever used Ride Max and do you think it was worth it?
    Is it worth it for someone who knows DL?
    Is there any better program like this?
    It sounds like a good idea but I don't want to spend the $15 for it without getting some opinions!
    Last edited by Claire; 07-25-2011 at 07:43 AM.

• I'm not really here

Re: Is Ride Max worth it?

Some will say yes. I will say no. I, personally, prefer to experience Disneyland at random. We don't plan more than 1 or 2 rides ahead of what we are currently doing. If we're on our way to Space Mountain from Splash and we notice that something along the way has a 5 - 15 minute wait, we'll jump on it and ride. We're very spontaneous and don't like having our day planned out for us. So I would recommend against RideMax personally.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

ORWEN: At first I thought this was going to be a topic about what it's like to ride Maximus--the horse from Rapunzel. In which case I would have said YES. (Of course you have to like really fast, intense rides to enjoy a ride on Max.) Anyway, since this ISN'T a topic about Maximus, I'll just hoof it on outta here...

• Party Planning King

Thumbs up Re: Is Ride Max worth it?

I purchased Ride MAx a few years ago during a Spring Break trip to Disney World and was very impressed. So impressed that I used it later on a Disneyland trip just for the fun of it. The program implements basic park guest logic though. Start early, use Fastpass etc.

If you know Disneyland crowd flow well enough then the program might not be worth it. If you like to wing it the way MyCroft does, then it might not be worth it either. If you don't mind a structured day and don't know your high capacity rides vs. low capacity then Ride Max will do amazing things to maximize your visit.

The option for flexibility is available with RideMax. Just schedule a 3 or 4 hour break (or however long) in the middle of your day to do things as you go.

Final verdict for me.... I know the ins and outs of Disney crowds as well as any insider and still had fun using the program. During a peak crowd visit we never waited more than 20min. I wouldn't call it a waste at all and highly recommend it.
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

• Carbon based

There's probably a bunch of other factors (when will you be there? How long will you stay? etc.)

I used RideMax in the past, once, and it did work as intended. But it does make a very regimented day so we dropped the itinerary half way through and went into spontaneous mode. It felt better, more relaxing, more enjoyable in a way.

There are many alternatives including many touring plans options (from books, websites, etc.) If you're new to DL and will only be there for a short period of time, being prepared is essential

Lastly, nowadays, the only thing I use are some Android apps letting me know the current wait times of attractions as well as my knowledge of the flow patterns in the park, if I'm visiting with friends that want to do a lot of rides. If I'm on my own, I usually have no agenda. And it makes for an even better day

I am a fan. I like it a lot. I like to play different scenarios, and it makes me more excited for my trip. Also I always wind up with a group of people who can't make up their mind where they want to go or what they want to do. So the itenerary takes care of that. I just make sure I ask what rides people want to go on to make sure those rides are covered.
    Last edited by Jazziered; 07-25-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added S for plural.

Hi, I've been a lurker on these forums for a few months, but this is my first post XD.

IMO, Ridemax is worth it if you don't know the park well.

My family bought 4-day park hoppers this summer. We hadn't been to Disneyland in about 14 years. Aside from looking up food prices and show/parade/fireworks times, we hadn't done any other research on the park. So we knew almost nothing about getting around Disneyland (seriously, we didn't even know about fastpasses D: ). As a result, our first day kinda sucked. We spent most of the day waiting in line, and only got onto 8 attractions. We didn't get to see any shows or parades, and we left the park before it got dark because our legs were so tired from standing all day. I have 2 younger siblings (7 and 9 years old), and they got pretty whiny about standing in long lines for 2 min rides.

We used Ridemax for the rest of our days, and were able to accomplish much more. We went to all the attractions we wanted, saw all the shows/parades/fireworks we wanted, and still had time to just walk around, check out stores, look at the scenery, take pictures, and explore. If you don't cram too much into Ridemax, the schedule often leaves these large time frames where nothing is planned and you can do whatever you want. For us, Ridemax overestimated the walking and fastpass return times, so we were able to get ahead of schedule. We found that if you stick to the schedule (or get ahead of it if you can) in the morning, you can be more flexible in the afternoon. After 11am, we used the schedules more as guidelines, and altered them a little whenever we felt like it (switching things around, changing attractions, visit more attractions, etc) because we would be hours ahead of schedule. Also, since Ridemax overestimated our fastpass return times, we didn't stick to the times they gave us for getting fastpasses. I would just run to get them as soon as they were available.

One downside with Ridemax is that some of the attractions aren't on it (like Pixie Hollow and Princess Fantasy Faire), but overall, I found Ridemax very beneficial and my family likes being organized. If you know the parks well, I'm sure you wouldn't need Ridemax. Also, if you have annual passes, you probably don't need it either. But if you don't know the park well and you don't use APs, then $15 is NOTHING compared to the price of Disneyland tickets IMO. I think Ridemax site also states they offer full refunds if you don't like the software.

I know the park pretty well, but I don't know about the crowd flow, wait times, or what times to go on which rides. does anyone know another thread or website that talks about these things?

Disneyland Visits:
    1997, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2009, 2011 (Twice!), 2012, 2013

• Keepin' it calsteady

I found Ridemax really useful because it helped me realize that it's possible to go on a lot of rides on a busy day. If you pay for the 30-day version you'll have plenty of time to play with it and get a feel for how to plan your day. It takes some finessing, but it will do a good job of planning for hitting both parks in one day, too. Even though I like it, I've never actually tried to follow a Ridemax schedule. I just used it to get a good idea of when to hit what rides.

If you know Disneyland pretty well, then there's not a lot to be gained. Basically it comes down to: get there at opening, get a Fastpass as soon as possible and every time it's possible, and don't go on a Fastpass attraction without a Fastpass. Go on Pirates and Haunted Mansion before and during Fantasmic. Go on Fantasyland rides later at night. Go on Matterhorn when the line is only on one side of the mountain.

Bottom line, though, is that you only need the tips if you're going on a busy day. If you go on a slow day, and get Fastpasses for Space, Star Tours, Splash and Indy you won't have trouble going on anything you want.

My wife and I had a blast using it on the first day of our trip, and I know two other couples, with kids, that also enjoyed the program. I would never dare try it right now with toddlers.

I think that it is a different and worthwhile way to enjoy the parks. You get to go on a lot of rides that you might not consider, or know about. However, I do enjoy a lazy day also. I recommend using it, but I would temper that recommendation by saying that it it best enjoyed when accompanied by a day or two of unstructured park fun.
    - Bobd

• Parking Lot > DCA

I have never used it personally, and this may be a little off topic but as far as apps on phones go, I like MouseWait. I know it is a totally different thing than what Ride Max offers but as far as it's wait times you can't beat it, and it's free. On a sidenote though, I am not a fan of their forum. A lot of rude people on there.

Over at touringplans.com they have a smartphone app called LINES. They have been collecting data far longer than Ridemax for the "Unofficial Guide". Some people complain that it's times are off, but they're not... they're more accurate than the posted times I find Ridemax and the others used to collect data. (touringplans collects data from timed runs). Also the computer program behind lines is quite impressive (there's a write up about it in their book).

Anyhow... It's $6.95 for a YEAR access... the app is free. And there's a discount if you own one of the Unofficial Guides. They also have "plans" for different types of users. (IE: "Dumbo Do or Die in a Day" plan for those with toddlers... =-).

I use it, and have found it to be insanely accurate. Also you can get the main "plans" from there book. Before the app, I used the custom plans and printouts when we hit WDW in 2007. We NEVER waited more than 10 mins all week we were there... it was great. And the printouts were awesome, I passed them out to my group and basically said this is what I'm doing... follow me if you want. (we had someone who didn't want to follow a plan... after the first day when they were hitting their 3rd attraction, and found out we were on #11... well they changed their minds for the rest of the week.